Mega Primo Mammoth

Thread: EBMM Synth Guitar

User Info Menu

EBMM Synth Guitar

Has anyone tried to convert a MM guitar to synth? Particular the Silhouette. I was also wondering if the saddles on the piezo guitars can connect into Graph Tech circuits. Or maybe just replace the saddles all together with Graph Tech. I use to play a Brian Moore C90P.13 but I wasn't quite happy with it. I love EBMM guitars so this is my next project. Thanks for your insight.
    Luke 1 Red - Signed
    Luke 1 Blue - Prototype
    Luke 2 True Gold
    Luke 2 Sledge
    Luke 2 Teal Piezo
    Luke 2 PDN Emerald Green Piezo
    Luke 3 Bohdi HH
    Luke 3 BFR HSS
    EVH Red - Signed
    EVH Purple
    Silhouette Synth
    Sub 1 - Modified
    Axis SS
    OLP MMAO
    & non EBMM's:

User Info Menu

Believe it or not i saw the other day where a guy took a JP6 and convereted it to a Line6 Variax - I almost cried...

my acoustic is a Variax 700 and appreciate it for what it does when i need acoustic stuff but to take a JP6 and gut it just seemed beyond wrong...

so yes it has been done but i wouldn't do it...

Quote Originally Posted by R and R View Post
    Has anyone tried to convert a MM guitar to synth? Particular the Silhouette. I was also wondering if the saddles on the piezo guitars can connect into Graph Tech circuits. Or maybe just replace the saddles all together with Graph Tech. I use to play a Brian Moore C90P.13 but I wasn't quite happy with it. I love EBMM guitars so this is my next project. Thanks for your insight.
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

I have a Morse with a midi pickup in it. It's not in the saddles though
    Australian Music Man Dealer Contact us
    See Guitar Planet Videos Here

User Info Menu

Didn't John Czajkowski do something like that with his Morse?
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

He did indeed. He used the RMC piezo system.

No idea about compatibility with other MIDI tracking systems. You can definitely do it if you replace everything.

Maybe ask Graph Tech if their Hexpander is compatible with other saddles?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    He did indeed. He used the RMC piezo system.

No idea about compatibility with other MIDI tracking systems. You can definitely do it if you replace everything.

Maybe ask Graph Tech if their Hexpander is compatible with other saddles?
    Who makes the saddles for MM guitars? RMC?
    Luke 1 Red - Signed
    Luke 1 Blue - Prototype
    Luke 2 True Gold
    Luke 2 Sledge
    Luke 2 Teal Piezo
    Luke 3 Bohdi HH
    Luke 3 BFR HSS
    EVH Red - Signed
    EVH Purple
    Silhouette Synth
    Sub 1 - Modified
    Axis SS
    OLP MMAO
    & non EBMM's:

User Info Menu

I think they're Fishman.

User Info Menu

I've installed a graphtech ghost system in my silhouette special... I replaced the stock saddle by the graphtech saddle on the mm bridge... The piezo sound is awsome... Now I just have to buy the hexaphonic preamp and plug it on the ghost preamp and done!! midi guitar as it's best!!

I'll do that as soon as I have some cash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
    I've installed a graphtech ghost system in my silhouette special... I replaced the stock saddle by the graphtech saddle on the mm bridge... The piezo sound is awsome... Now I just have to buy the hexaphonic preamp and plug it on the ghost preamp and done!! midi guitar as it's best!!

I'll do that as soon as I have some cash.
    Dude, that's exactly what I want to do but with the Silohouette with the floyd rose. I will replace the MM floyd with the GT floyd. So how much room is left in the guitar cavity? Do you think the hex circuits will fit without routing?
    Luke 1 Red - Signed
    Luke 1 Blue - Prototype
    Luke 2 True Gold
    Luke 2 Sledge
    Luke 2 Teal Piezo
    Luke 3 Bohdi HH
    Luke 3 BFR HSS
    EVH Red - Signed
    EVH Purple
    Silhouette Synth
    Sub 1 - Modified
    Axis SS
    OLP MMAO
    & non EBMM's:

User Info Menu

Should say that I also had the Graph Tech system (not the Hexpander) installed in my Morse. There was enough room for the hexpander board in there.

Problem is the 13 pin output jack- you'll need to route for that.

User Info Menu

The expander should fit.

In mine I replaced the pups and removed the silent circuit... the guy who installed the ghost system for me used the battery compartment for the battery of the ghost system... So if you don't put the ghost battery under the pick guard you should have space..

Routing needed for the 13 pins jack.

Keep us informed!! hehe

Jeb

User Info Menu

Just in case you didn't see the new thread about my synth, here's the link. Cheers!

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...tar-synth.html
    Luke 1 Red - Signed
    Luke 1 Blue - Prototype
    Luke 2 True Gold
    Luke 2 Sledge
    Luke 2 Teal Piezo
    Luke 3 Bohdi HH
    Luke 3 BFR HSS
    EVH Red - Signed
    EVH Purple
    Silhouette Synth
    Sub 1 - Modified
    Axis SS
    OLP MMAO
    & non EBMM's:

User Info Menu

Using a JP6 with Synths - VG-99/GR-55 - custom brackets & piezo

I bought an EBMM BFR JP6 with the Koa top about 6 months ago. What a great instrument! I also have a Roland VG-99 which I use a lot in live situations, so I wanted to use it with the JP6 naturally. *But* i didn't want to butcher my JP6 either. Since my JP6 also has the stock Piezo saddles I would really like to just add a 14-pin out jack so I can use the Piezo hexaphonic with my VG-99/GR-55 - has anyone done that? I also don't want to lose the "stock" functionality of the Piezo.

In the meantime I created a custom (very thin but very hard chrome-steel) bracket for mounting a GK-3 for driving the synths. Imagine the letter 'L' - now "extrude" that L so that the "depth" of it is the same width as the recessed mounting hole for the DiMarzio humbucker. With the guitar in the position of a right-handed player (with the neck to the left) turn the bracket backwards so that the "foot" of the 'L' is facing the headstock and tuners. I drilled two holes in the "foot" of the bracket to align with the two screws that are used to hold down the DiMarzio pickup. I removed the screws that hold the DiMarzio and place the "foot" of the bracket under the DiMarzio and reinstalled the screws. Now the 'L' bracket is secured to the guitar without modifying the guitar. The 'L' bracket protrudes (sticks out above) the face of the guitar toward the strings about 1/4 of an inch. To this 1/4-inch protrusion I glued the GK-3 pickup. When I remove it at some point in the future, I will again have a perfect, stock JP6.

Still, I'd prefer to not have the GK-3 at all and use the Piezos that are already there.

Anybody have suggestions?