Strap on your style

Thread: 2006 vs 2009 JP6 neck radius

User Info Menu

Question 2006 vs 2009 JP6 neck radius

I've had a 2009 JP6 for a while now and I love it to bits so I decided to get a second one used. I came across this 2006 JP6 for a fair price so I bought it but when it arrived yesterday, the neck radius seems flatter/slimmer.

It's not a big deal but I moved away from Ibanez because I stopped caring for slim necks, and I'm not aware that the JP6 neck profile/radius changed over the last few years.

I guess my question is whether Musicman changed the radius/neck shape between 2006 and 2009 or whether the previous owner sanded down the neck making it flatter?

I'm just a little disappointed because I was looking forward to a second JP6 that would feel the same.
    2009 EBMM JP6 White Pearl
    2012 EBMM JPXI-6 Onyx Black
    2000 Ibanez RG7620-BK w/D-Activators
    1987 Ibanez RG550 RF w/D-Sonic+Air Norton
    2003 Ibanez J Custom RG8670TB
    2012 ESP LTD Slayer "South of Heaven"
    Mesa Mark V + Axe Fx + RJM Rack Gizmo

User Info Menu

I don't believe they changed the radius nor the profile. What you are probably experiencing is the slight variations in the sanding process from the factory, as different workers are responsible for that part.
    Black Luke II

User Info Menu

Is it really that much different? I'm curious because I'm planning to get a second JP6 too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tung View Post
    Is it really that much different? I'm curious because I'm planning to get a second JP6 too.
    it is! i own a 2005 MD, a 2007LE and 2009 DDII - all have different necks.
    the DDII has the thickest neck, the 2007 the slimmest and the 2005 just feels right to me - maybe because it was my first JP.

had the same with two EVH guitars, both built on the same day! but they had slightly different necks.
    as it is with my two Y2Ds - they feel a bit different as well but not as much as the JPs.

it depends on the final sanding process done by hand and not a machine.
    91 EVH Trans Black Quilt Top
    ?? Axis EX Trans Red Quilt Top
    05 JP6 Mystic Dream
    09 JP6 Dargie Delight II
    10 JP6 Pearl Redburst Limited
    07 JP6 BFR Ruby Red Burst
    05 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    06 SM-Y2D Tobacco Burst
    10 SM-Y2D BFR Black Sugar
    12 SM-Y2D PDN Honey Roasted
    14 SM-Y2D Rosewood Neck Solar Flare
    OLP MM-5 Silhouette Bassguitar
    OLP MM-1
    SBMM JP70 Stealth Black
    SBMM JP70D Pearl White ltd.

check out: www.reverbnation.com/morbidsky

User Info Menu

That makes sense, bummer though because I haven't heard about this before. Will have to try the next Musicman before making a buying decision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe web View Post
    it is! i own a 2005 MD, a 2007LE and 2009 DDII - all have different necks.
    the DDII has the thickest neck, the 2007 the slimmest and the 2005 just feels right to me - maybe because it was my first JP

it depends on the final sanding process done by hand and not a machine.
    Really? Wow, that's a revelation to me. I have the 2007 LE as well, and totally in love with the neck radius.
    It's funny, because the very first JP i ever tried I never bonded with it at all. The first JP that I liked was actually the sterling JP50, then I decided to give the JP6 a try again.
    So you prefer the 2005? would the neck be in between the slim 07 and the DDII thickeness?

User Info Menu

Yeah, they are hand sanded in the finishing process and they are always a little different. My 3 Axis are all slightly different, but that could be the chunk of wood as well... My question is how does the new one play? As long as it plays nice it isn't an issue... I find that one Axis is great for some things while another is better at something else.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

I just measured my original MD JP6 (2002) and my DD II (2009) and the necks are literally identical thickness wise all the way down the neck for whatever that's worth...

Identical... not slightly thicker/thinner than... identical... and like butter...
    Andrew

2002 EBMM Loaded JP6 Mystic Dream
    2009 EBMM Loaded JP6 Dargie Delight II

Check out my YouTube Channel!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tung View Post
    So you prefer the 2005? would the neck be in between the slim 07 and the DDII thickeness?
    yes that´s how it is.
    but i would not say, that the 2007 or the DDII are not as good...they are all perfect!
    91 EVH Trans Black Quilt Top
    ?? Axis EX Trans Red Quilt Top
    05 JP6 Mystic Dream
    09 JP6 Dargie Delight II
    10 JP6 Pearl Redburst Limited
    07 JP6 BFR Ruby Red Burst
    05 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    06 SM-Y2D Tobacco Burst
    10 SM-Y2D BFR Black Sugar
    12 SM-Y2D PDN Honey Roasted
    14 SM-Y2D Rosewood Neck Solar Flare
    OLP MM-5 Silhouette Bassguitar
    OLP MM-1
    SBMM JP70 Stealth Black
    SBMM JP70D Pearl White ltd.

check out: www.reverbnation.com/morbidsky

User Info Menu

I prefer the 2009 neck, seems like a slim C neck and plays great. The 2005 feels closer to an Ibanez neck (flat) and I just sold all my Ibanez guitars (except one from '87) so I may have to let this go and find another JP6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
    ) so I may have to let this go and find another JP6.
    that's too bad. Maybe give it some time? I had to give the JP6 two times around until i finally warmed up to it. Now it's my main guitar, love it.
    I know what you mean about the Ibanez necks. I used to play them for over ten years, owned all the top of the line models like the Jems and the Universe. they're all gone now

User Info Menu

That's always good advice, getting her set up and cleaned tomorrow so things may work out afterall.

I know the feeling of letting your Ibanez collection go Sold my 2006 J Custom, which was a work of art and perfect, for my first JP6 - no regrets there. Still holding on to an 87 RG550 for sentimental reasons. Ultra thin necks and floating trems suddenly stopped doing it for me.

User Info Menu

Well this is interesting, I love everything about the JP except the neck is to thin for me. Not to rehash as I have said before it was the only guitar I ever bought without trying. After reading this mine is an 07 model which Joe said was the thinnest neck of the 3 he owns, I am now interested in checking out different years to see if I can feel a noticeable difference.