Strap Blocks

Thread: Clarification on the Gamechanger

User Info Menu

Clarification on the Gamechanger

I swear that I read somewhere that the pickups weren't just split coils, but were tapped. Is that the case or am I imagining something?

If not than what are the lines in the grapical representation of the GC application representing? I remember seeing in the video some of the configurations had a line only going partially across the coil.

Thanks and congrats on the best of NAMM 2011 award. I knew that was going to happen about 2 minutes into the first video.

User Info Menu

If so, that would increase the number of options exponentially. It'd be brilliant, really, on top of an already brilliant idea.

Sorry I don't have any clarification for you. I suppose you'll have to wait for BP to chime in.

User Info Menu

From what I understand, the GC just splits each coil in the guitar and uses them in different configurations. There are some websites reporting that you can isolate each string or pole piece but that is not true (at least with the version MM just presented).

The lines at the bottom represent how those coils are connected. For example, two green lines that are connected to the same vertical lines represent two coils parallel. But if they only share one vertical line, then you have a series connection.

The green and blue colors represent normal and reversed phase, respectively.
    2007 20th Anniversary Silo (Pics) (20thSOC)

User Info Menu

Hte gamchanger does not view the guitar as humbuckings it is up to 6 individual coils and what you can do with them currently there is no need to tap the coils..If you have difficulty finding your sounds between our genre specific presets and or the arttist library and also the user library then I dont know what to tell you...
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me.

User Info Menu

Tapping is just a fancier wiring. The gamechanger eliminates any extra wiring. ANYTHING is possible.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Hte gamchanger does not view the guitar as humbuckings it is up to 6 individual coils and what you can do with them currently there is no need to tap the coils..If you have difficulty finding your sounds between our genre specific presets and or the arttist library and also the user library then I dont know what to tell you...
    Maybe I'm confused.

As far as I understand, coil "tapping" isn't the same thing as splitting. Your explanation makes perfect sense when talking about splitting, since as you say, the GC doesn't perceive humbuckers, only individual coils. I get that.

But I thought tapping was the act of only using part of the coil, or something to that effect? I know there are people who wire Telecaster bridge singles to a switch that effectively "taps" them, reducing output on par with a lower-output pickup...

User Info Menu

What BP is saying is there's no coil tapping, in the proper sense of the term.

Coil splits are used from the humbuckers. E.g. 1 humbucker is 2 coils.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    What BP is saying is there's no coil tapping, in the proper sense of the term.

Coil splits are used from the humbuckers. E.g. 1 humbucker is 2 coils.
    So effectively a coil is either active or it is not. There is no partial/tapped output from any coil.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sosomething View Post
    So effectively a coil is either active or it is not. There is no partial/tapped output from any coil.
    From what BP is saying, correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    From what BP is saying, correct.
    I ain't got no beef wit dat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sosomething View Post
    Yeah, the graphic kind of threw me off and I'm still confused as to what the vertical lines represent.

The two coils are both enabled, but neither is in full humbucking mode as far as I can see in this picture because that would be a straight green line all the way across.

Just wondering what is actually happening in a configuration like this.

EDIT: OK, it looks like that would be a series configuration which makes sense. Just wondering what the vertical lines denote though?
    Last edited by ashasha; 01-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ashasha View Post
    Yeah, the graphic kind of threw me off and I'm still confused as to what the vertical lines represent.

The two coils are both enabled, but neither is in full humbucking mode as far as I can see in this picture because that would be a straight green line all the way across.

Just wondering what is actually happening in a configuration like this.
    Have a look at one of Drewbixcubed response in the GameChanger questions thread, he explains the reasoning for the number of bars that you see on that diagram.
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
    Have a look at one of Drewbixcubed response in the GameChanger questions thread, he explains the reasoning for the number of bars that you see on that diagram.
    Thanks! That answered my question. Makes a lot more sense now.

The length of the colored bars has no significance to the sonic value of the preset. The vertical lines, which we call "The Grid" is simplest user interface we could come up with to allow the user complete control of all connections possible for up to 6 coils. For example, if you were to wire 6 coils in series, you would need 7 vertical lines.
    I feel a bit silly now, but if you don't ask you never learn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ashasha View Post

I was a little confused too the first time I saw that ... first instinct was to think of them as strings.