Ultra Burly

Thread: New Petrucci BFR stereo weird hum/buzz issue

User Info Menu

New Petrucci BFR stereo weird hum/buzz issue

Hey everybody! Yay for first post, but I hate that it's for a bad thing.

So I drove to Nashville (a 6 hour drive for me) to pick up my brand new Island Burst Petrucci BFR...sounds amazing, plays amazing, looks amazing...and I'm super happy with it....until I get home today.

Here's the issue: If I just run mono out of either jack (1 at a time, not both connected at the same time), then it's great. No hum, buzz, nothing but sheer sonic beauty. However, the moment I plug in both at the same time, I get a very audible hum (we're talking overdrive pedal level hum or worse) from whatever amp is plugged into the magnetic. The selector switch has no effect on the hum whatsoever, nor does the guitar volume from either set of pickups. I just plug a cable from an amp into the Piezo jack, and HUUUUUUMMMMMM. It also doesn't matter if the amp to which the piezo jack is connected is on or not. If it's grounded to an amp, it's humming.

I spoke to MM Customer Service (really nice guy btw, very patient and helpful), and the guy was kind of flabbergasted. He said that he'd never heard of this issue before, but to test different cables and different amps to make sure it was the guitar. He said (regretfully) that I may need to send it to MM. Being a new guitar, it's under warranty, but I REALLY don't want to have to send back the guitar I just bought yesterday.

Has anyone experienced any issue like this before, or have any idea just what the heck might be the issue? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

For the record, I'm using Monster Rock cables. My 2 amps are a Peavey JSX and a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. To double check the issue, I also ran tests on my PA here and a friend's Line6 Spider2. The effect is not nearly as drastic on my friend's Line6 as it is the JSX, but it's still there.

User Info Menu

I know it's a drag, but the best answer is to send the guitar in. It's under warranty, (as long as nobody has tried to "fix" it) and the Customer Service is excellent.

You know, on one of those jacks, you can use a stereo cable, and if I remember right, tip is acoustic, and ring is magnetic. So, it is possible to get both sounds with one cable instead of two. If you wanted to go to two different amps, you would just need to go from the stereo plug on one end to two mono plugs on the other.

User Info Menu

Hey there- Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have a ground loop. This often happens when you connect to two different amps and have a shared ground. The signal has multiple paths to ground, and so you get a persistent hum. If that's the case, it's not guitar related at all, this happens all the time to people with more complicated rigs.

You have a couple of options to eliminate things, but essentially you need to isolate the ground of one of your outputs. Popular way is to use a DI box on the piezo signal that has a "ground lift" (transformer isolated ground).

User Info Menu

Beej is right, whenever you use both outputs on the JP it is a good idea to run a ground lift for one of the outputs to minimize the hum (I lift the piezo ground). It doesn't sound like a problem with the guitar, it sounds like you just need to use a ground lift and then enjoy sonic perfection!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

beej I think you may be on to something with the ground loop...I'm headed to borrow a direct box right now to try it, and I'll post results asap. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Beej for the win!! Plugged in the DI box, and immediately the angels began to sing and light shone down upon my rig from heaven. Oh, and the hum went away too.

Seriously, thanks a lot!!

User Info Menu

Great!

And welcome to the forum skydive!
    The world needs more Balls!
    1995 EVH - DOB 8/25/95 - Trans Red Hardtail
    1996 Albert Lee HHH - DOB 3/8/96 - Black
    1999 Axis - DOB 3/11/99 - Natural
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette - Rosewood w/Trem - DOB 9/21/06 - Caramel Burst
    2007 Silhouette w/Piezo - DOB 7/26/07 - Desert Gold
    2007 Albert Lee - DOB 10/25/07 - Vintage Sunburst
    2009 25th Anniversary - DOB 8/13/09 - BFR Rosewood Neck - SN 001 of 25
    2010 Silhouette Special SSS - DOB 1/26/10 - Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it

User Info Menu

Wow, that was baptism of fire if ever there was one.... glad it got sorted quick well done guys.

Welcome to the forum skydiver if you can find the time to put the JP down and come on the forum LOL

Cheers
    Baz

User Info Menu

And now for the obligatory....let's see some pics of that sweet new JP!!

-Eric

User Info Menu

Nice catch. How could we forget to ask?