Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tremol-no on a JP

User Info Menu

Tremol-no on a JP

Anyone install a tremol-no on the JP and does it work well enough to drop a standard tuned guitar to drop D and back again with no issues? Thanks!

-Eric

User Info Menu

I haven't used one on a JP, but I did have one on a PRS. To be honest, I would just cut a small piece of maple, or even a piece of aluminum and screw it to the body with as small a screw as you can use. The Tremolo-No, Hipshot and all the others are really a pain to set up and I always had tuning issues because whenever you start adding moving parts, you get friction and the trem will never return to the exact spot.
    All gone until I know I have a job again

User Info Menu

Yes... and yes. No issues so far.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ASS BFR, AL HH, Silo

User Info Menu

Yeah, I am a little scared to do any mods to my EBs that requires drilling. Might not be worth it. I should probably just use the challenge of learning D tuned songs using the third fret of my 7. Haha!

-Eric

User Info Menu

There is another option that will take a little more skill in woodshop. Cut a "J" shaped piece of wood to fit over the block that will stop it against the body.
    All gone until I know I have a job again

User Info Menu

Exclamation

My JP actually keeps tuning pretty correct just going down to drop D. I try not to use the whammy, but otherwise it works pretty well. No tremel-no needed. I would think with that added 7th string to keep all the forces at bay, your 7 would probably be better than my 6 at dropping without much change in tuning.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Starry night born 2/6/17
    Sabre Blue Moonstone born 5/4/20
    Some other guitars

User Info Menu

I used the original screws of the tremolo for the tremol-no. So no non-reversable modifications were necessary to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShreddinHand View Post
    Yeah, I am a little scared to do any mods to my EBs that requires drilling. Might not be worth it. I should probably just use the challenge of learning D tuned songs using the third fret of my 7. Haha!

-Eric
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ASS BFR, AL HH, Silo

User Info Menu

I've used Tremol-No with my JP6 few months now, and it had worked nicely. I lock the trem usually when I'm recording rhythm parts or when I know that I'm gonna do unison bends. Easy and quick to do, takes less than 5 seconds to lock/unlock. The installing was surprisingly easy to do, haven't had any issues with friction or tuning in general.
    EBMM JP6 Pearl Redburst, matching headstock w/piezo

User Info Menu

Works advertised on my JP
    Mystic Dream BFR JP6 rosewood neck Tremel-No'd and LiquiCrunch'd
    Bogner Duende 1x12/Axe-FX Standard/Mesa Recto 2x12
    Liquid Foot Jr
    Creepy Fingers Rising Fuzz

User Info Menu

when i had it on my JP, the tremolo felt stiff.. so i didnt like it and took it out
    JP15 in Sahara Burst DOB 10/May/2016
    JPXI in Onyx Black DOB 30/October/2013
    JP7 2007LE in Blue Dawn DOB 03/July/2007
    JP6 in Lava Pearl DOB 06/October/2009
    Silhouette in Blue Pearl DOB 05/April/2011
    JP7 in Red Pearl Burst DOB 12/August/2003
    BFR JP6 in Trans Black DOB 05/May/2011

www.youtube.com/dhalif

User Info Menu

i had one on my JP. rock solid dude. Such a great wee invention. easy to install. easy to use. have one on my BFR luke now.
    BFR Luke 2 Emerald Green Flame Top (which sucks)

PDN Neptune Blue Luke 3 H/H

User Info Menu

I've just got one of these...

DropTunePedal - Polyphonic Down Tuning | Morpheus Effects

By FAR the easiest way to get all sorts of de-tunes with no messing about with the guitar whatsoever.

Highly recommended.
    COME ON YOU IRONS....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
    I've just got one of these...

DropTunePedal - Polyphonic Down Tuning | Morpheus Effects

By FAR the easiest way to get all sorts of de-tunes with no messing about with the guitar whatsoever.

Highly recommended.
    Ugh, not to rain on your parade but I highly de-recommend it. Haha! Half a step is OK, but beyond that you can hear the notes not holding together as well. You also need to be playing really loud so you don't hear your standard tuned guitar along with the detuned one through the amp. It's hard to describe without hearing it, but I sold mine after toying with it for a couple weeks. The only thing I ended up liking was the octave down on clean, so kinda sounded like a bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheShreddinHand View Post
    You also need to be playing really loud so you don't hear your standard tuned guitar along with the detuned one through the amp.
    Is there any other way?

I understand that it won't be to everybody's taste, but I mostly use mine for exactly that - loud and distorted de-tunes to E flat, D and sometimes C. Wouldn't use it below that really.

Works pretty well for me in these circumstances, especially when you consider the hassles of de-tuning a floating trem guitar
    COME ON YOU IRONS....

User Info Menu

I've got a tremol-no on my JPX and it works perfectly. I've got it permanently set to down only It makes string breaks, tuning, alternate tunings, etc. non-issues. Very easy to set up, I didn't notice any extra friction or squeaks. I also added a fourth spring so that I can do double-stop bends in tune with no hassles.