Everlast

Thread: How do you guys set saddle heights on MM trem?

User Info Menu

How do you guys set saddle heights on MM trem?

just wondering how are you setting the heights for the individual saddle? considering the neck has a little radius?.. thanks in advance
    JP15 in Sahara Burst DOB 10/May/2016
    JPXI in Onyx Black DOB 30/October/2013
    JP7 2007LE in Blue Dawn DOB 03/July/2007
    JP6 in Lava Pearl DOB 06/October/2009
    Silhouette in Blue Pearl DOB 05/April/2011
    JP7 in Red Pearl Burst DOB 12/August/2003
    BFR JP6 in Trans Black DOB 05/May/2011

www.youtube.com/dhalif

User Info Menu

i would set the saddles to match the fingerboard radius. I set my action by measuring at the last fret and set all the strings to the same height. 4/64 with a straight neck usually works best for me.

User Info Menu

Yep, I pretty much do the same thing, though I measure at the 12th fret with a capo at the first fret to eliminate the nut height. Usually ~3/64ths does it for me with the neck straight. Lower or higher depending on how much buzz I can live with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Yep, I pretty much do the same thing, though I measure at the 12th fret with a capo at the first fret to eliminate the nut height. Usually ~3/64ths does it for me with the neck straight. Lower or higher depending on how much buzz I can live with.
    Pretty much exactly what I do. 3/64ths on the treble strings, maybe 4/64ths on the bass strings, measured at the 12th fret with string fretted at 1st fret. Once this is done, usually just a tweak of the truss rod from season to season.

User Info Menu

What LawDaddy said. Personally, I find a Stewart MacDonald String Action Gauge invaluable for this operation.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

User Info Menu

For "perfect - pristine" action use saddle shims (due to the fact that the neck radius is never a perfect match with the bridge on ANY guitar, even though EBMM is dead on for production guitars! I do quite a bit of tech work and that is "the" professional set-up. However, you need to meet other criteria first.

Steps: straighten out the TR, shim the neck pocket for the perfect angle to the bridge, set the bridge to "level" just a micro below where you want the action on the "center" strings, and lastly (the icing on the cake) shim the individual saddles. Wala - perfect action!

Keep in mind a FR original is 10" radius and look at the variety of guitars that is on!!!