2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BP's thoughts on Relic'd guitars and is EBMM going to do a test run?

User Info Menu

Question BP's thoughts on Relic'd guitars and is EBMM going to do a test run?

With the popularity of Relic'd guitars, any thoughts of EBMM doing something like it? Fender's custom shop Relics are going for $3K - $6,500 and even John Suhr has a light relic version that he calls Antique. Hey, maybe even the EBMM artists can relic a few by hand.

User Info Menu

BP, if EBMM does do a test run, you can put me down for zero. I think artificially relic'd guitars are stupid.

No offense Slav. I guess I just don't get it. They usually look so phony to me.
    Vintage Sunburst Silhouette Special, '06; 20th Anniversary Silhouette, '06; Honeyburst Sterling '00

I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
    He said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

Enter the Void:
    http://www.voidmusic2000.fourfour.com
    http://www.facebook.com/voidmusic2000

User Info Menu

No worries bro, I'm not a big fan either. There is a market for them out there though and I just wanted to get BP's thoughts on where EBMM stood on the whole Relic'd fad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid70 View Post
    BP, if EBMM does do a test run, you can put me down for zero. I think artificially relic'd guitars are stupid.

No offense Slav. I guess I just don't get it. They usually look so phony to me.
    Agreed on the way Fender is doing theirs. But there is a shop in Amsterdam (Rebel Relic Guitars) who is doing a fantastic job on the relic side, more natural than any artificial fender relic.

I sometime think how an EBMM would look after a relic job in his hand. Maybe I should relic my Dargie Luke (just kidding)
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

If anyone needs any of their EBMM's relic'd, you can send them to me, the turn around time is typically anywhere between 10-20 years, but I have a 100% satisfaction of getting the job done..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Strangenote View Post
    If anyone needs any of their EBMM's relic'd, you can send them to me, the turn around time is typically anywhere between 10-20 years, but I have a 100% satisfaction of getting the job done..
    This is the only way to "relic" a guitar, IMO.

and lol, I meant by playing it.... not sending it to a random forumite in Pennsylvania
    2003 Petrucci 7 - White
    2005 Petrucci 7 - Radiance Red
    2006 Petrucci 6 - Desert Gold
    2007 Petrucci 7 - Dargie Delight
    2013 JP12 7 - Cherry Sugar
    2014 JP13 6 - Cardinal Red Sparkle

User Info Menu

He's not random. He's possibly the only forumite in Yardley, PA. That makes him unique!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thumbs down on the relic of an EBMM.
    ...is playing with his....is practicing.

User Info Menu

I truly hate the whole concept behind the relic finish, and hope it has finally run it's course and would disappear. They seemed to have truly run out of ideas and are grasping at straws these days with models like the burnt finish. Seriously how many guys have lit there guitar on fire!

User Info Menu

BP has stated on numerous occassions that he's not a fan of making new products that look used.

I don't get the relic craze either.
    EBMM 25th Anniversary - Venetian Redburst - "Valentine" , Flamed, Rosewood FB, Hardtail. Born 08/05/09

Your Fearless 25ROC Leader. (25th/Reflex Owners Club)

U!..C!...L!.......A!.... UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

User Info Menu

It's an understandable craze- the majority of buyers still seem to want what was offered in the 50s, and that's how those instruments look today. Beaten to hell.

But for anyone buying an instrument with a modern design, it just makes no sense to me. Sure there are well-worn guitars I lust after (cough ... SM's #1 ... cough), but I'd want THAT guitar, not a perfect replica with all the scratches.

User Info Menu

I watch my mate build a fantastic guitar then he has to relic it - 'cos that's what the customer wants. It takes quite some time to get all the hardware worn and then all the other cr4p that goes into making the guitar body look old.

The only time I have been in agreement with the relic process was when Burke Shelley brought his beat up bass into the workshop and had a new neck fitted.That new neck (once it had gone thro the relic process) looked great.

Same here thumbs down on relic'd guitars- as it would add sooooo much money to the manufacturing process
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think a replica of Steve Morse's #1 could be cool, and that's kind of a relic I guess. But I'm not really a fan of artificial relics- I'd rather "wear out" a guitar myself. Not my JP though...
    JP6 (Graphite Pearl)- fully loaded Born 5/8/08
    SUB1 (Blue)- HH, hardtail Born 5/17/04
    Ernie Ball Wah
    RPS Super Slinkys

User Info Menu

Here it is...The market is super tough out there....it is so hard to be doing what we are doing that only great passion drives me....not return trust me....I didnt want to do classics but the public wanted them and there is a factory to feed...so an honest and open dialogue is that If I need to and the market demands it I will Currently we dont have any plans though
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.