The Vault

Thread: Question about Axis type guitar

User Info Menu

Question about Axis type guitar

Hi everyone,

i'm seriously considering buying a used OLP MM1, basicly a very cheap Musicman Axis, for a small price. I want a guitar that is usable for some Eddie stuff; divebombs and harmonic stuff etc. I will probably swap pickups with gfs VEHs and install better tuners. My problem is the Tremolo system. Basicly there are 2 versions: Floyd rose and Vintage. I was thinking about buying the Vintage because of tuning inconvenience, but still want to be able to rock out wild. After all, Eddie didnt always use a Floyd.

I read that on Strats the Vintage bridge can be replaced with a modern one for more possibilities. Are there any possibilties for the OLP or normal Musicmans to increase tremolo range and make it more versatile? Please keep in mind that it's a cheap guitar and I dont want to spend lots of money.

Really hope you guys can help me.

User Info Menu

If the OLP bridge is anything like the MusicMan vintage bridge, you can go wild. I have NO tuning issues whatsoever (on both Luke and Silo with vintage trem), even with some wild trem use.

User Info Menu

Is it possible to fit Strat sized tremolos on Axis models. Like a Wilkinson tremolo?

User Info Menu

I don't think you will be able to fit another tremolo without some kind of invasive measures (like repositioning the trempoles). However, I do not have any experience with OLP, nor wilkinsom trems and am by no means a Luthier, so best to wait for an answer of someone more knowledgable.

User Info Menu

I've got an OLP MM1 with vintage tremolo, and to be honest, the trem is rubbish. Never use that trem. Haven't played a Floyd equipped OLP, but if you really want to actually use the trem, avoid the vintage tremolo, or replace it with some other tremolo bridge.
    2003 Luke Luke Blue signed twice by Lucious
    2007 Luke LE Blue Dawn signed by Lucious