Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: How can I tell if the JP has stainless frets?

User Info Menu

How can I tell if the JP has stainless frets?

I was just at Guitar Center looking at their JPs. While I know that the NAMM announcement of the JP line going to stainless frets was recent, the ones on the wall all had the new bridge. I asked the salesman about it and he had no idea. Is the new bridge a good indicator of being equipped with stainless frets?

Aziah is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

No, anything that is currently in stock at stores will not have the stainless steel frets. Anything ORDERED from 1/18/12 and on will come with the new stainless frets. So they will start shipping around mid-March.
    Aziah - Pronounced "Asia" like the continent. or "Aja" like the Steely Dan album

User Info Menu

Thank you very much! One of the guys "confirmed" it as being stainless steel and I wasn't convinced. This saves me some trouble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acwild View Post
    Thank you very much! One of the guys "confirmed" it as being stainless steel and I wasn't convinced. This saves me some trouble.
    LoL, did the same clerk say something along the lines of "Oh, you'll love this one...I have three of them myself"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man Dan View Post
    LoL, did the same clerk say something along the lines of "Oh, you'll love this one...I have three of them myself"?
    Nah, the guy was kind of new there. I felt bad for him just asking to take the JP6 off the wall for me. His eyes were scanning all over the place.

User Info Menu

Kind of on the topic of salesmen being cautious, or hopeing for a big sale like a JP...
    I went to a music shop in Vancouver, and they had a BFR locked up in a glass case.
    I asked the good fellow if it'd be a hassle to try out, and his reply cracked me up a little bit;
    "Hell, you kinda even look like JP, how can I say no to you!"
    Ernie Ball Music-Man John Petrucci 6 BFR (Ruby Red Burst [Quilt])
    Ernie Ball Music-Man John Petrucci 7 BFR (Koa Island Burst [Flame])
    Ibanez Universe UV70P (Green Dot)
    Engl Special Edition EL34
    Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II

User Info Menu

This thread got me thinking? How the heck do you tell the difference?

I know some forms of Stainless steel is non magnetic but you do get batches of stainless that ARE magnetic - depends on the nickel content.

So here's a challenge - anybody with a JP with SS frets - can the do a "magnet test" on the fret and tell us the results? :-)
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    can the do a "magnet test" on the fret and tell us the results?-)
    I have a non-MM guitar with stainless frets. I'll check those. I'd think that all stainless frets would be one way or the other.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

Having never had (or played) a guitar with SS frets, I have to ask. If you can't tell the difference, why is everyone drooling about how great they are? Couldn't one just play it and tell the difference?

Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVt View Post
    Having never had (or played) a guitar with SS frets, I have to ask. If you can't tell the difference, why is everyone drooling about how great they are? Couldn't one just play it and tell the difference?

Mike
    For me, it's about their durability. I hate fret wear.

User Info Menu

Typically they are shinier and smoother, but on brand new guitars it is hard to tell the difference. Think of SS frets like having brand new frets for years. They are much more durable. They also tend to brighten tone a bit. Personally I could take them or leave them. They are a cool standard feature, but I wouldn't pay extra for them. Well kept nickel silver frets can last 20 years or more.
    Last edited by yellowv03; 02-14-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    EBMM JPX 6 BFR Barolo
    EBMM JPXI 6 BFR Onyx
    EBMM JP12 7 BFR Cherry Sugar
    EBMM Luke III HH Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Ah yes, the old non-magnetic stainless steel. I remember being frustrated when building my big block Chevy with ARP stainless hardware...as much as it looked nice, if I ever dropped anything, I couldn't use my telescoping magnet to pull it out of any unreachable crevises.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man Dan View Post
    Ah yes, the old non-magnetic stainless steel. I remember being frustrated when building my big block Chevy with ARP stainless hardware...as much as it looked nice, if I ever dropped anything, I couldn't use my telescoping magnet to pull it out of any unreachable crevises.
    Sorry to go so far off topic there LoL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acwild View Post
    For me, it's about their durability. I hate fret wear.
    I see. I've never worn out a set of frets - so for me it sounds like it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks...

Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)