New banner
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a modification wish for your EBMM?

User Info Menu

Do you have a modification wish for your EBMM?

I know this is a purely hypothetical thread but I'm curious to see others preferences. For me, the one thing that I wish I could have is another volume knob for the neck pickup in my JPXI. One of my guitars is set so that I can flick to the neck pickup for cleans (with the volume set low) and then flick back on the toggle when I want the gain back. It's freedom away from the pedalboard.
    When I saw the thread with the AL having two MM90s and individual volume controls, it got my mind thinking.

User Info Menu

I think I've rewired just about all of my guitars at one point or another- p'ups, different switching, cap/inductor selectors, added a piezo, etc. I think no matter what came stock, I'd end up messing with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I think I've rewired just about all of my guitars at one point or another- p'ups, different switching, cap/inductor selectors, added a piezo, etc. I think no matter what came stock, I'd end up messing with it.
    So you like tweaking your Balls? I'm a little intimidated to mod the JPs as I put in a D-Sonic in a JP7 and didn't look inside before I bought the pickup. The circuit for the pickup selector required a more deft hand than mine to do properly. I eventually got it right but that was scary.
    Other than that, drilling isn't an option so adding the volume knob is something that's beyond my reach.
    Was there something in particular that you changed that you really liked and found worthwhile?

User Info Menu

I just heavily modded my standard Steve Morse last weekend. I installed a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck and I set it up with a 5-way switch (Neck, Neck Split, Neck and Bridge, Bridge Split, Bridge), and changed the stock pots to EVH 500k Low-friction ones with a 0.022 Cap. It sounds AMAZING now, but I think the wiring diagram I used is wrong because the volume pot is functioning as a second tone pot (so I have two tone pots and no volume pot!). I also have two holes for the single coils that I'm going to fill with solid single-coil pickup covers (once they are off backorder - curse you AllParts!). I think rather than mess with rewiring the volume pot I'm just going to install a killswitch where the two-way switch used to be. Anywho, just thought I would share my madness!
    BFR Axis Super Sport Purple #12/27
    BFR Majesty Fuchsia Sparkle #4/74
    BFR Morse Tahitian Blue #62/69
    Majesty Monarchy Royal Purple
    PDN Starry Night Steve Morse Y2D

Like The Wet Dark on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/thewetdark/
    Follow us on Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/thewetdark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyMetal View Post
    I just heavily modded my standard Steve Morse last weekend. I installed a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck and I set it up with a 5-way switch (Neck, Neck Split, Neck and Bridge, Bridge Split, Bridge), and changed the stock pots to EVH 500k Low-friction ones with a 0.022 Cap. It sounds AMAZING now, but I think the wiring diagram I used is wrong because the volume pot is functioning as a second tone pot (so I have two tone pots and no volume pot!). I also have two holes for the single coils that I'm going to fill with solid single-coil pickup covers (once they are off backorder - curse you AllParts!). I think rather than mess with rewiring the volume pot I'm just going to install a killswitch where the two-way switch used to be. Anywho, just thought I would share my madness!
    Sounds like you just turned your Morse into a Silo. I love the EVH Bournes pots. Apparently mine got smoked from doing too many volume swells.
    Aren't volume and tone pots essentially the same but are differentiated by where you wire them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acwild View Post
    Aren't volume and tone pots essentially the same but are differentiated by where you wire them?
    That was my understanding, and according to the diagram on the DiMarzio website I have it wired correctly, but something fishy is going on!
    BFR Axis Super Sport Purple #12/27
    BFR Majesty Fuchsia Sparkle #4/74
    BFR Morse Tahitian Blue #62/69
    Majesty Monarchy Royal Purple
    PDN Starry Night Steve Morse Y2D

Like The Wet Dark on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/thewetdark/
    Follow us on Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/thewetdark

User Info Menu

An axis with a 5 way selector. Or a super sport with just a volume pot. I never use my tone pot.
    www.myspace.com/gordonsalive
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jonnydubai
    Sub1 HH trem blue
    Silo Special (Metal Flake Green)
    Axis SS (trans orange)
    Fender Richie Kotzen Tele (bronze burst)

ENGL Blackmore 100
    Mesa Roadster 2x12
    Digitech CM-2, Digital Delay
    Morley Bad horsie 2
    Boss Octaver 2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Dubai View Post
    An axis with a 5 way selector. Or a super sport with just a volume pot. I never use my tone pot.
    Seriously man, who uses tone pots? What's the two extra positions for? Coil taps? Outside coils?

User Info Menu

I wish my Axis had a forearm contour.

-Bobby
    1. LUKE I pearl red
    2. LUKE II luke blue (signed by Lucious, 8/22/08, Ever Changing Times tour, Cleveland, Ohio
    3. LUKE III HH olive gold
    4. LUKE III HH PDN starry night
    5. LUKE III HSS tumescent
    6. Axis trans blue
    7. Sterling blue dawn
    8. Sterling white sparkle
    9. StingRay SLO Special 4 HH Dargie Delight II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ebmmboy_ View Post
    I wish my Axis had a forearm contour.

-Bobby
    Hey, that's a good one! I generally don't like flat-tops but the Axis is acceptable because the bridge is so far back. A forearm contour would be mo' betta.

User Info Menu

If I could have the rosewood neck + gold hardware for my White JP7 like Lee's from BoO, that would be awesome. I love the combination.
    2003 Petrucci 7 - White
    2005 Petrucci 7 - Radiance Red
    2006 Petrucci 6 - Desert Gold
    2007 Petrucci 7 - Dargie Delight
    2014 JP13 6 - Cardinal Red Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73h Nils View Post
    If I could have the rosewood neck + gold hardware for my White JP7 like Lee's from BoO, that would be awesome. I love the combination.
    Pics? Sorry, I don't know who that is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Dubai View Post
    I'll second you on the Axis w/ 5-way.

User Info Menu

I went through a pickup change phase on almost all my guitars except the Axises. I'm happy to say there's not a thing I want to change about them. I like simplicity so a 2-way pickup selector perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acwild View Post
    Seriously man, who uses tone pots?
    I personally like tone pots with single coils. Use 'em to cut down the brightness on gainier settings. With humbuckers ... never use 'em.

My Y2D has the tone pot wired up as a gradual coil split (dial in the split). On my 25th and HH AL, I have them wired to a Bill Lawrence "Q Filter", so they're a variable inductor in parallel with the pickups. Use it to make a middy sounding humbucker into a sweeter, cleaner sounding pickup. (Akin to taking windings off the pickup coils.) Single coil-esque, but still with no noise. Very neat.