Music Man Modern Classics
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sterling by Music Man Owners!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by puppiesonacid View Post
    are there plans to do the silohette bass or petrucci baritone for the sbmm line? how about both? lots o people using baritones lately! i would definetly get both
    We've been kicking it around for some time, but no market research going on yet. It's something I'd love to do but nothing really moving forward as of yet.

We do however, have some pretty cool things cooking for Winter NAMM 2014
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SBMM View Post
    We've been kicking it around for some time, but no market research going on yet. It's something I'd love to do but nothing really moving forward as of yet.

We do however, have some pretty cool things cooking for Winter NAMM 2014
    i understand. well if you ever unload a baritone prototype, let me know

also wondering if you guys will be expanding the color palette on the ax30 model? i would love to pick one up but i dont dig the sunburst finish. i dont like floyds otherwise id go with the ax40 . how come you guys dont offer the ax30 in the same finishes as the ax40 line?

thanks for getting back to me.
    Last edited by puppiesonacid; 08-09-2013 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by puppiesonacid View Post
    i understand. well if you ever unload a baritone prototype, let me know

also wondering if you guys will be expanding the color palette on the ax30 model? i would love to pick one up but i dont dig the sunburst finish. i dont like floyds otherwise id go with the ax40 . how come you guys dont offer the ax30 in the same finishes as the ax40 line?

thanks for getting back to me.
    We are looking at some finish additions for the AX30, stay tuned on that.

We don't do similar finishes on models other than the basses just to keep things confusing
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Some awesome guitars in this thread! The JP's look incredible!

User Info Menu

Ok guys today I got the final piece to finish off upgrading my AX40. I bought this guitar new right when the blue models came out. They play really well stock, but I wanted to do a few personal upgrades to it and made it a monster:

EVH Volume pot
    Peavey Wolfgang bridge pickup
    Gotoh GE1996T Floyd trem

I had a decent Gotoh knockoff on it for a couple years, but the small zinc sustain block was just not cutting it. The Gotoh unit is much better - my favorite Floyd trem.

This edges just it a little closer to the USA Axis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cale Sahl View Post
    Gotoh GE1996T Floyd trem
    Nice guitar Cale Sahl!!! How easy/difficult was the swap for the Gotoh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benoa View Post
    Nice guitar Cale Sahl!!! How easy/difficult was the swap for the Gotoh?
    Actually I just swapped tremolo for tremolo (and springs) - didn't pull the studs or anything advanced like that.

If you guys care about what posts are in the AX40 - they ARE fine threaded posts, unlike the coarse threaded junk that comes on 99% of the licensed Floyds out there. Fine threaded posts (these come with OFRs) have very little wiggle room, therefore virtually eliminating those tuning issues we usually experience with less than higher quality Floyds.

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier I had a knockoff Gotoh that actually is a decent tremolo for the money, but for ~$50 more I got the real thing Totally worth it for a nice big brass sustain block vs thin zinc alloy junk

I did notice the Gotoh naturally sits a touch higher than the knockoff trem I had prior, but I just raised the posts slightly to compensate to make the base plate sit flush and it's all good. Didn't need to re-intonate as much as I thought because I basically eyeballed the intonation positions before I installed the Gotoh, and worked out just fine. If anything later on I might put a small shim in the neck to raise the profile a little to sit better with the Gotoh, but honestly it intonates just fine and the action isn't really that high.

Knockoff

Gotoh

Comparisons

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Picked up an AX30D this week! Lovin' the top!

Sterling by Music Man Owners!-smallerthe30-jpg
    SUB AX3 TBL/M
    AX30D CRB
    SILO 30D
    (They're better at being guitars than I am at playing them... lol )

User Info Menu

Nice! Congrats! That's a really nice pic that captures the pop of the top!
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Nice! Congrats! That's a really nice pic that captures the pop of the top!
    Thank you, Sir! The sun was just bright enough through the window to light it up.
    SUB AX3 TBL/M
    AX30D CRB
    SILO 30D
    (They're better at being guitars than I am at playing them... lol )

User Info Menu

I own two JP50's. Liked the first one so much I got another. I also own a Silhouette, and they compare surprisingly well! Did a few mods on the JP50's. Wilkinson bridge on both, and put a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge of one. LOVE 'em! Could someone post a link to the fb page? I'd love to join!

Sterling by Music Man Owners!-20140323_134921-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sterling by Music Man Owners!-1978900_10152704169434829_2011852980_n-jpg  
    Less is NOT more. Less is LESS. MORE is more. I checked.

User Info Menu

Last year I got the JP100D RRB and recently added a new member to the SBMM family
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sterling by Music Man Owners!-1271471_10152282010738866_846381890_o-jpg   Sterling by Music Man Owners!-jp100d-jpg  

User Info Menu

Thought I'd give this thread a bump with a little project of mine.

Is it sacrilegious to put Seymour Duncans in a Petrucci guitar?

Sterling by Music Man Owners!-dsc_0132-3_hf-jpg

Sometimes I think these guitars don't get enough respect on their own right, for me they just play great. Probably why I have 3 of them now. As much as I dig the Crunchlab/liqufier putting in some SDs with a more PAF feel really gives the guitar an entire different sound. Doesn't look to bad either, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Sterling by Music Man Owners!-image-jpgWhat the hell, ill play........ 2009 ax40, upgraded switch, oil wax neck, and axis dimarzios.