Straps 2020

Thread: Any places to order EBMM pickguard other than Pickguard Heaven?

User Info Menu

Any places to order EBMM pickguard other than Pickguard Heaven?

I have this weird (but not original, as I've found out ) plan to convert my black SUB1 to a Y2D-like guitar, with the middle single pickup near the bridge humbucker, so I wrote an e-mail to Chandler Music's Pickguard Heaven, but they don't answer me. It's been more than a week so I wrote them again to check if they got my first e-mail, but still no answer.

Are there any other places you could recommend where it's possible to order SUB1 pickguard with holes a-la Y2D and controls placement a-la SS?

Thanks guys!
    Silhouette Special (HT, SSS)
    Silhouette Special (Tr, SSS)
    Axis Sport (Tr, SSH)

User Info Menu

Did you call CS?

User Info Menu

No, I didn't.
    I figure this is something personal which needs custom work to be done and companies usually turn down such requests unless they have custom departments, which are rather expensive. So I went straight to the place I heard good things about.

Do you think this is a problem I should have consulted with the CS in the first place? Is there any e-mail address I can write to?
    Axis Sport (Tr, SSH)

User Info Menu

I would have thought Chandler would have been the best bet.

User Info Menu

So? No recommendations at all?
    It's a bummer
    Axis Sport (Tr, SSH)

User Info Menu

I suspect you may end up doing it yourself. The advantage is that it'll cost less and you have a great choice of materials out there (there are a few places where you can buy blank sheets). I'm sure we can help you out getting the dimensions and positioning right.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

That would be great. I believe the hums on Y2D are on the same place that on a SUB so I just need to know where to put the middle single coil.
    Axis Sport (Tr, SSH)

User Info Menu

If you're just adding the single (and not moving the pots), then yeah, you can just take a Sub guard and route it out. I've done it on a few. I've masked out the area, then used files (though there's probably an easier way to do it) and periodically measured to make sure the p'up fits correctly.

As for where to put the single- it's up to you. You're going to need to route the body to fit the pickup, so once you have that in place you can match it on the pickguard.

There are a few threads here detailing similar mods, so you might want to do a search for some inspiration. (For example, http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...-motrucci.html.)

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, I want the pickguard to have a Silhouette Special controls, so it's a lot of work if Im going to do it by hands from scratch.
    The best option would be getting a single-humbucker pickguard from Benji Madden SS and just rout the hum, single and the 5-way switch holes. Could it be possible to get this pickguard from CS?
    Axis Sport (Tr, SSH)

User Info Menu

Probably. Shoot them an email.

User Info Menu

Hey man - I did almost exactly what you want to do through Chandler, and it was no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I believe the hums on Y2D are on the same place that on a SUB so I just need to know where to put the middle single coil.
    That's actually almost, but not exactly, true. The body geometry of the Morse is slightly different (the shape, and how the neck interfaces with the body), so the hums are in slightly different positions. But since you're going for a Y2D-ish SUB, it'll be close enough.

Chandler doesn't charge to omit something from one of their templates, and charge for additions. Pickup holes are more expensive than controls, so making a change, say from single to hum, would be more expensive than starting with a template that already has the hums where you want them. Here's how I'd specify what you want:

PG 3953 custom (Sub guitar, HH)
    w/o: 5-way, Vol & Tone holes from PG 3952 (silo special)
    w/o: Single coil hole straight by bridge from PG 3974; index via bridge HB (morse standard)

(w/o = work order)

If you've emailed more than once, but still haven't received a response, call them directly. I've spoken to Kenny a number of times, and he's been very helpful.
    Craig

2007 Steve Morse Signature Hardtail 2008 SMY2D Hardtail
    2004 SUB1 HH/Trem 2004 SUB1 HH/trem 2005 SUB1 HH/trem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    There are a few threads here detailing similar mods, so you might want to do a search for some inspiration. (For example, http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...-motrucci.html.)
    Cheers for remembering that thread beej!

Sub1 in a Y2D inspired config is a winner, no doubt.

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out Zoom.

User Info Menu

I just ordered a new pickguard from my AL from Chandler. I sent them an email Monday night, got a response on Tuesday morning. Ordered the pickguard on Tuesday night, payed with PayPal and received conformation on Wednesday morning, 10 day lead time...

What email address did you send you inquiry to? I used info@pickguardheaven.com
    I've never had a problem dealing with them????

fred
    Play Ball!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fsmith View Post
    I just ordered a new pickguard from my AL from Chandler. I sent them an email Monday night, got a response on Tuesday morning. Ordered the pickguard on Tuesday night, payed with PayPal and received conformation on Wednesday morning, 10 day lead time...

What email address did you send you inquiry to? I used info@pickguardheaven.com
    I've never had a problem dealing with them????

fred
    Yep, this is an e-mail I've used. I think my e-mails are just not going through the spam filter.
    I will try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Harable View Post
    Chandler doesn't charge to omit something from one of their templates, and charge for additions. Pickup holes are more expensive than controls, so making a change, say from single to hum, would be more expensive than starting with a template that already has the hums where you want them. Here's how I'd specify what you want:

PG 3953 custom (Sub guitar, HH)
    w/o: 5-way, Vol & Tone holes from PG 3952 (silo special)
    w/o: Single coil hole straight by bridge from PG 3974; index via bridge HB (morse standard)

(w/o = work order)

If you've emailed more than once, but still haven't received a response, call them directly. I've spoken to Kenny a number of times, and he's been very helpful.
    Thanks for the info!
    Axis Sport (Tr, SSH)