Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Silhouette Special Owner - what pickups would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by vexed73 View Post
    A new amp maybe? Lol
    Don't laugh. In a lot of instances, I think this is exactly what it needed. I worked in music stores for a lot of years and saw guys blow lots of money on numerous pickup changes because they were unhappy with their sound.
    I too have fallen into that pit before only to realize that a different amp with that particular guitar I was pickup swapping to no end was actually the solution.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

The volume drop in positions 2 and 4 is always a big buzz kill, and I kinda wish EBMM would put the electronics from the Luke III that compensate for that into their SSH and SSS guitars. It's adjustable, so it can be set to taste.

Regarding "weak" pickups, I've found often that using a booster is cheaper and gets better results. The lower output pickups often have things that you don't get from the high output ones. But, to each their own. I also know many people who have switched out pickups, and never looked back.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I haven't tried adjusting the pickup height on this guitar, will try that. Does anyone know if a Suhr 53mm nickel plated covered pickup will fit? I've read some guitars aren't routed for the covered pickups by default.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismilne View Post
    Has anyone tried a Suhr Thornbucker or Thornbucker+? I wonder how they compare to the SSV/SSV+ as well...

I want something with a bit more gain/output and fullness than the stock pickup. I replaced the single coils with Lindy Fralin years ago, but they also sound kind of thin (like the stock)....but right now can only afford to upgrade the bridge again.

** What size pickup do i need, i see 50mm vs 53mm, and some say F Spacing....??
    I replaced the ssh+ in my hss suhr with a thornbucker + and I'm glad I did. It's a lovely balanced pickup that's never harsh but is always nice and full sounding, amazing when clean and works really well driven. Despite it being the + version I don't find it has a massively high output but as others have mentioned just crank the amp a bit more!

Quote Originally Posted by Manxmusicman View Post
    I replaced the ssh+ in my hss suhr with a thornbucker + and I'm glad I did. It's a lovely balanced pickup that's never harsh but is always nice and full sounding, amazing when clean and works really well driven. Despite it being the + version I don't find it has a massively high output but as others have mentioned just crank the amp a bit more!
    Thanks, yeah more worried about a full sound than a high output, but with the + and regular version i thought maybe a tiny bit hotter would be good, and won't have a chance to compare them easily.

Just hope it fits properly...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismilne View Post
    Thanks, yeah more worried about a full sound than a high output, but with the + and regular version i thought maybe a tiny bit hotter would be good, and won't have a chance to compare them easily.

Just hope it fits properly...

Thanks.
    I wouldn't worry about the + being too hot, the standard dimarzios in my 25th are hotter pickups than the +.

If your current pickup us uncovered there is a chance the a covered pickup won't fit, it depends on the tolerances in the scratch plate but it's easy enough to file out the scratch plate to get it to fit.