The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Music Man Axis quality

User Info Menu

2012 Music Man Axis quality

I am looking at purchasing a new AXIS. I wanted to know if they just are as good as far as the playability sound and quality as the older ones? Is the set up and sound consistent if taking a chance with mail order?

User Info Menu

Buy with complete confidence......one of the finest instruments made today and yesterday.
    BFR Albert Lee Roasted SSS Hardtail 03/10/11
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dzrati&aq=f

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musikarero View Post
    Buy with complete confidence......one of the finest instruments made today and yesterday.
    This! Just played some Music Man guitars at Guitar Center today. I am yet to play one that has not been a quality instrument.

User Info Menu

Take it from someone who has been around EBMM forever - YES, by all means!!

User Info Menu

Every single EBMM I have bought, except my standard Morse, were purchased sight unseen, either by mail order or ordered from Dubaldo Music. I have never had any quality control issues. They playability, sound, and build quality has remained consistent from guitar to guitar and year to year. I've never gotten a lemon from EBMM and I own quite a few.
    James

JP6 (Black Sparkle)
    JP6 (Mystic Dream)
    JP7 (Blue Dawn)
    Steve Morse (dark Blueburst)
    Silo Spec. (Pearl Purple)
    BFR JP6 (Bahama Blue Burst)
    Albert Lee (Carbon Blue Pearl)
    25th Anniversary (Venetian Redburst)
    Axis (Lavender Pearl)
    BFR JP6 (Dargie Delight 2)
    Y2D (D-Purpleburst)
    JPX (Black Sugar)
    HH AL (Eldorado Gold)
    JPXI (Onyx)
    Dark Lord Morse
    LIII (Olive Gold)

Proud member of the ALOC and SMOC

User Info Menu

Asking this question here may give you biased answers but I will say that EBMM are one of the very few guitars that I would confidently buy via mail-order.

User Info Menu

I bought my first one "sight unseen". I now have 7 of them. You'll have no issues other than the possibility of a slight neck adjustment.
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    EVH Purple Flame,Maple Neck,84096
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone, these respsonses make me feel compfortable that I will be fine with the quality. I had played some a few years back and really liked them but didn't want to spend the money. Now I can and since it seems they are just as good now I have confidence ordering one on line.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there are several axis models. If you can afford it, I would take a look at the bfr axis. The bfr line is incredible. You'll still get the same quality with the non bfr, but the bfr does have some nice upgrades. Also, note there is a pdn model that just came out, but is limited and may be hard to find. Not sure what you like about the axis, but that gives you some options and wood choices. So you probably know all this, but theres been a lot of development with the axis since the older models.

User Info Menu

Tony Levin once said that EBMM is probably the only brand were the recent instrument are even better than the older one (due to the constant improvement and innovations) . He also said that he doesn't need a signature instrument as he is fully happy with the stock one.

if the best bassist in the world (IMHO) says that, I think you can trust him
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

ebmm dont make a bad instrument, they are consistantly brilliant.
    "What is understood need not be discussed"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    Tony Levin once said that EBMM is probably the only brand were the recent instrument are even better than the older one (due to the constant improvement and innovations) .
    Yep, my feeling too. Particularly with the compensated nut. IloveitIloveitIloveitIloveitIloveitIloveitIloveitI loveit!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Fine instruments. I'd just add that every once in a while an issue does come up with them, but no company does more to see that their customers are happy and treated like rock stars. They've often bent over backwards (no video available) from what has been posted on this forum and from personal experience.
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

User Info Menu

I've owned Axii from 2000 up to the tributes, and they are always wonderful.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

When I tried out my green Aixs Tribute at GC in Brooklyn it played and felt perfect right off the wall so I left with it. The gent at GC said they just put in on the wall a few days prior and had no time to set it up but there was no need! And I'm VERY picky on how my guitars are set up. bascially low action with no buzzing and so it remains one year later. No adjustment needed after one year of fairly regular playing.
    Axis Tribute Green
    EBMM EVH Trans Gold
    Sterling AX20