Mega Primo Mammoth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYNGD: New Year New Guitar Days!

User Info Menu

Smile NYNGD: New Year New Guitar Days!

Happy New Year, everyone!

I got word a couple of days ago that I have some very cool PDN goodness somewhere in the UPS system right now, with a scheduled delivery of Monday!

And then I realized that I have been remiss in keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date since I launched it a while ago... So, as a fun lead-up to the PDN's arrival, let's launch a couple guitars in the Guitar Gallery each day this weekend leading up to the PDN!

Here's the first one: An Axis Tribute in purple! I picked it up used from Richard (@IslandBoy) right here on the Forum!

Yes, I already owned a Tribute in purple, but this one is gorgeous and Richard gave me a really fair deal. I just couldn't resist -- lucky for me I have recently had better willpower with quitting smoking (it's been 9 weeks without a cigarette)!

The purple top is lighter than my other purple Tribute, which really shows off the figured top. This particular piece of wood is also the best sounding of my Tributes - super warm and rich and resonant. It somehow got itself tuned down 1/2 step flat and who am I to argue -- it's now my go-to guitar in the studio whenever I need to be tuned to Eb (or whenever a pre-1985 Van Halen tune needs to be played along with the original)!

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

User Info Menu

Wow. Enjoy!!!

User Info Menu

good job quitting smoking, that's not easy, enjoy the PDN when it arrives, do you get to play all of your guitars? or are some for collection only,

User Info Menu

Great guitar, Jeff, and again congrats on quitting smoking! (I need to do better at that...)
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

yeah congrats!
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Yes sir...that's one FINE looking Axis ! Congrats on that score.

1 / 30 / 2013 will make 9 YEARS I have been tobacco FREE !! NO regrets.
    99 EBMM Silhouette Special (3 Tone Sunburst) S-S-S
    96 EBMM Silhouette Special (Purple) H-S (Custom pickguard)

User Info Menu

Congrats, and Wow....What a beauty that Purple is!!!! I love when I have a NGD......waiting is hard...
    25th Anniversary, Flame Top, 2009
    Tobacco Burst Axis Super Sport Trem. BFR All Rosewood Neck
    DOB: 2/16/09
    Axis Tribute Trans Pink 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Purple 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Black 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Blue 2012
    Axis Trans Orange 2012 Killer Neck
    American Standard Tele 2013 Jade Pearl Metallic
    Life is a journey, not a destination.....Enjoy the ride!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9RX...1&feature=plcp

User Info Menu

Thats a beauty, Jeff. Great photography as alway too.

PM me on how you quit if you don't mind.
    Last edited by browndog; 01-05-2013 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I've never really been into purple guitars but that one is absolutely gorgeous. Well done with the smoking thing, it's tough I know, 4 moths since I quit.

User Info Menu

Jeff,

Nine weeks without a cigarette, at $10 a pack...it's like the purple Axis was practically FREE! Good job quitting.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Amazing news!

Quitting smoking is something to be proud of, and no better way to encourage yourself than buying that hootie!!
    Y2D PDN DOB 09/27/12
    Standard Morse DOB 07/17/12
    Darklord DOB 06/29/12
    Silhouette special all rosewood neck DOB 04/27/11
    25 anniv. BFR all rosewood neck. Nș 20 of 25 DOB 09/09/09

Mesa/Boogie MarkV head + 4x12 Recto Cab, Slant.

User Info Menu

Jeff-
    Congrats on quitting... having watched my dad attempt to quit several times and give in i know that 9 weeks is a great accomplishment. about 7 years ago my dad decided to give the quitting one last try... to this day he's not had a single cigarette and actually gags now when he smells smoke... LOL

that guitar is beautiful... that more i see the tributes the more i love em...
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the kind words about quitting smoking. That was a side-note in my post but became the bigger point of this thread, which is pretty cool because it means we're all on top of what's important. Guitars, sure, but our health and families and stuff like that really is much more important than this guitar addiction...

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieJohn View Post
    do you get to play all of your guitars? or are some for collection only,
    @ErnieJohn: I am OK with playing most of them. But the EVH's are pretty much off-limits now except for maybe once a year. And some of the LE guitars I tend to take it easy with -- they're not everyday players in my studio. Anything that's not rare or limited edition is fair game. Although this one Tribute will be a player, as it is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    congrats on quitting smoking! (I need to do better at that...)
    @DrKev: You know, I don't want to be preachy about quitting smoking, as I hated those people for the past 22 years. But you do need to do better at that. After a couple months the cravings are gone and I feel MUCH better. You don't realize how bad it is making you feel until you stop. It's eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubes4Tone View Post
    1 / 30 / 2013 will make 9 YEARS I have been tobacco FREE !! NO regrets.
    @Tubes4Tone: Right on man! CONGRATS!

Quote Originally Posted by browndog View Post
    PM me on how you quit if you don't mind.
    @browndog: I used Chantix, which is a mind-altering quit smoking drug in the anti-depressant family. It basically shuts off your chemical addiction so then you just need to focus on your mental addiction. After a few days, you're like, "Huh? It's 5pm and I haven't thought about smoking all day!" It really is quite brilliant. ONLY CATCH: Pay attention if you start getting depressed or having thoughts of killing yourself. Seriously. Well documented problem with all of these anti-depressant type drugs. But, assuming you don't hang yourself from a steam pipe in the parking garage, you'll definitely quit smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by coldsummer View Post
    Well done with the smoking thing, it's tough I know, 4 moths since I quit.
    @coldsummer: Good stuff man! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    Nine weeks without a cigarette, at $10 a pack...it's like the purple Axis was practically FREE! Good job quitting.
    @Tollie: In all seriousness: $10/pack (and if I bought them in NYC it would be $12/pack), a pack a day, times 9 weeks is $630. It adds up big time. Are you saying I can buy more guitars now?!?!? If someone had told me this 15 years ago I would've quit smoking a long time ago!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterd79 View Post
    Congrats on quitting... having watched my dad attempt to quit several times and give in i know that 9 weeks is a great accomplishment. about 7 years ago my dad decided to give the quitting one last try... to this day he's not had a single cigarette and actually gags now when he smells smoke... LOL
    @peterd79: Your Dad is a rock star.

SO....

I think I'll start a new thread for today's NYNGD #2...

Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    @DrKev: You know, I don't want to be preachy about quitting smoking, as I hated those people for the past 22 years. But you do need to do better at that. After a couple months the cravings are gone and I feel MUCH better. You don't realize how bad it is making you feel until you stop. It's eye opening.
    Thing is - I know this. Full permission to preach GRANTED!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Wow! That's an outrageous quilt! I love it. Congrats again.