The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADVISE!! Musicman luke true gold neck

User Info Menu

ADVICE!! Musicman luke true gold neck

Hi all im pretty new here ive got several musicman guitars and will upload pictures to my profile when i get chance.
    Anyway one of my balls is a EBMM luke true gold and recently ive noticed the neck feeling rough on the back as in light hairline cracking not visible to the eye but you can feel it and its annoying me.
    Has anyone else had this problem, do i lightly sand it down?
    I take great care with all my guitars and make sure i wipe it down after every use. Im not a sweaty player either so cant really understand why its happening unless its normal?
    Any advise / experience with the rosewood necks out there?
    Thanks Neil
    Last edited by neil123; 02-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neil123 View Post
    Hi all im pretty new here ive got several musicman guitars and will upload pictures to my profile when i get chance.
    Anyway one of my balls is a EBMM luke true gold and recently ive noticed the neck feeling rough on the back as in light hairline cracking not visible to the eye but you can feel it and its annoying me.
    Has anyone else had this problem, do i lightly sand it down?
    I take great care with all my guitars and make sure i wipe it down after every use. Im not a sweaty player either so cant really understand why its happening unless its normal?
    Any advise / experience with the rosewood necks out there?
    Thanks Neil
    Calling customer service would be your best bet here. Hard to diagnose here.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kimonostereo View Post
    Calling customer service would be your best bet here. Hard to diagnose here.
    You havent got the number have you? Im in the uk.
    Thanks
    EBMM luke bfr true gold DOB: 07/28/11
    EBMM luke bfr bahama blue DOB: 12/04/07
    EBMM axis ss w/piezo honey burst DOB: 10/07/08

User Info Menu

Neil,

Very fine grain sandpaper or 0000 steel wool will work a treat. Welcome to the forum, you have a nice selection there...

Pm'd you!
    Steve

User Info Menu

Hey Neil:

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest you do NOT sand the neck until you talk to Customer Service. While EBMM has videos on YouTube detailing how to sand and re-oil a maple neck, I have not seen the manufacturer's recommendations for all-rosewood necks.

The US number is 866-823-2255, for UK I would suggest you click here to send A.J. from Customer Service a Private Message (PM). A.J. is a top-notch standup guy and will give you the best "official" advice.

Welcome to the Forum!

-Jeff

User Info Menu

What Jeff said!!! AJ is the man.,.,

User Info Menu

Google "strings & things" they are the guys to contact.

Best in the business .
    91 Standard Morse
    2010 Tobacco Al HH
    Prs SC245 Nitro Sunburst 57/08 10 Top
    Prs McCarty Dallas shootout 49#50
    Prs Usa Tremonti 10 Top
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013

Matchless Avalon 30 reverb
    Hardwire-Fulltone-Xotic Pedals
    Bonamassa Wah

User Info Menu

Cheers guys AJ's been in touch and he said it'll probably want lightly sanding and then re-waxing but asked for a bit more info first.

User Info Menu

P.s dont want to sound thick here but where can I get hold of this in the UK "tru oil and gunstock wax" just so I know im applying the right stuff. Cheers

User Info Menu

P.s dont want to sound thick here but where can I get hold of this in the UK "tru oil and gunstock wax" just so I know im applying the right stuff. Cheers
    I got mine from an ebay seller. Sorry can't remember the seller id but do a search and you should find it.

User Info Menu

Tru oil is polymerized linseed oil. Great stuff. You don't have to stick with Birchwood Casey. Don't know where to find it in the UK.

The wax is simply a good wax. I use zymol because I used to use it on show cars. Any carnauba type car wax will be fine.

Talk with customer service about a rosewood neck before you do anything. I only know maple necks.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

that's the right stuff.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Yes, that's the stuff!

Any high quality gunstock oil and gunstock wax will do fine.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Just be careful- it contains Linseed oil which is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE so please be sure to dispose of your rags properly! Take them outside in a bag as soon as you're done, you won't want to risk a dumpster/trashcan fire.
    2007 JP6 BFR in Trans-Black
    2012 JP7 BFR PDN in Honey Burst
    2013 JP13 in Platinum Silver w/ Rosewood Neck