December 2019 BFR

Thread: Silo Special Pickups..Switchout?

User Info Menu

Silo Special Pickups..Switchout?

I love my Silo Spec, but the pickups sound completely dull against my new LIII. I am considering swapping them out with EMGs. Has anyone with a Silo Special ever swapped pickups..is the silent circuit an issue if so? Also, what pickups did you choose over the standard Dimarzio? Feel free to expound..
    Thanks!
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III
    Mesa Boogie NAMM Blue Angel

User Info Menu

Pretty happy with my DP212 Eric Johnson in the bridge and Area 58 in the neck (HSS Silo Special)...........not sure if you have SSS or HSS, but depending on what you want to play, but I found the stock pups lacking personality as well. Lincoln Brewster uses the Area 61 (bridge) and the rest are Area 58, pretty versatile, good for VH, EJ, blues, Gilmour, etc.
    Last edited by Rufedges; 03-23-2013 at 07:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I put in a Dimarzio Air Zone in the bridge a few months big, also change the pots to 500k. Much hotter and more ballsy. I really love the modification.
    Vintage Sunburst Silhouette Special, '06; 20th Anniversary Silhouette, '06; Honeyburst Sterling '00

I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
    He said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

Enter the Void:
    http://www.voidmusic2000.fourfour.com
    http://www.facebook.com/voidmusic2000

User Info Menu

Good, Good! Keep 'em coming! I have the HSS. I like the idea of what they were tyring to do, just want something more output yet retaining the versatility..I play in a variety showband, Motown, Funk, Top 40, Jazz... Thanks guys!!
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

New member here. I have a Duncan JB in my silhouette special and its perfect. Also splits beautifully.

User Info Menu

I put a set of Bare Knuckle '63 veneers in my Silo Special and I'm very happy with them. Make sure to ask for a RWRP middle pickup if you do. The silent circuit works perfectly with these pickups as well. Check them out at the Bare Knuckle Pickups site and you can listen to their very good sounds clips.

Cheers,

jbert
    Vintage Burst Silhouette Special (SSS)
    Genz-Benz Black Pearl 1X12 Combo

User Info Menu

Just gave me a great idea for my silo30....a pair of area 58's to replace the stock pups in the middle and neck positions. Don't mean to hijack just wanted to say thanks for the idea
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17 w/SD Pearly Gates pups
    SBMM AX30-D Natural Quilt
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jbert;912514]I put a set of Bare Knuckle '63 veneers in my Silo Special and I'm very happy with them. Make sure to ask for a RWRP middle pickup if you do. The silent circuit works perfectly with these pickups as well. Check them out at the Bare Knuckle Pickups site and you can listen to their very good sounds clips.

I was going top ask about the silent cirtcuit with the other choices you folks have made? Was it an issue? The tech at DiMarzio, said the the original pickups were similar to the 'True Velvet' and regular PAF' hum..(both are vintage output)...I am considering the DiMarzio AT-1 Hum, Duncan Custom, EMG 89, Bare Knuckle and Fralin (whos right here in my town)..will let you know..Thanks again!
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

The AT-1 will sound awful in that set up mate.
    Its designed to sound like a Duncan JB with 250k pots, but with 500K.
    The Silhouette comes with 250k pots and you need to factor that into the equation.
    I have a JB and 2x Kinman singles in mine but I removed the silent circuit and I love the sounds I'm getting.
    I also installed a Push Push on the tone pot so I can split the JB and it really is a stunning tone.

User Info Menu

i'm using a custom set by Carlsen Guitar and Audio
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

I also changed the pups on my former Silo Spec into a set from a german luthier. I also found that the stock DiMarzios were good but not equal to the quality of the guitar. Maybe also the DG set from EMG should be a solution.

BTW, in my new Silhouette the stock pups match perfect. These are the Di Marzio Virtual PAF and a Di Marzio SC in the middle position. No need to change anything.

Rainer

User Info Menu

Threw out the pups and silent circuit, and put in a PAF 36th DP223, Virtual Vintage 54 pro, Heavy Blues 2. Might try a Injector neck soon for something less cheeky in the neck.
    I can't say enough good things about the DP223, it is so good!

Quote Originally Posted by skerwo View Post
    I also changed the pups on my former Silo Spec into a set from a german luthier. I also found that the stock DiMarzios were good but not equal to the quality of the guitar. Maybe also the DG set from EMG should be a solution.

BTW, in my new Silhouette the stock pups match perfect. These are the Di Marzio Virtual PAF and a Di Marzio SC in the middle position. No need to change anything.

Rainer
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red (Pro Track in neck and Injector Neck in middle)
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H (black Dimarzio Customs)

User Info Menu

Actually, this won't be a factor anymore..I've decided to sell my Silo.. I want another LIII in an HH config (hopefully that yummy Bali Burst)..look for my post soon!
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Threw out the pups and silent circuit, and put in a PAF 36th DP223, Virtual Vintage 54 pro, Heavy Blues 2. Might try a Injector neck soon for something less cheeky in the neck.
    I can't say enough good things about the DP223, it is so good!
    Aaaargh.... Please say that you "set aside" the original pups. I've bought 2 used sets of them this far. Put one set in a guitar that I ended up selling and have the other set with the silent circuit in my modded HSS sub 1. I'd be more than happy to take other sets off people's hands.

Ask Glenn how the EMGs are. I know he was replacing the ones I bought with EMGs.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP