Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem...

User Info Menu

I have a problem...

Well,let's start this thread out with the question "have any of you out there ever knew you had an addiction but never thought about it until it was staring you in the face?" I had one of those instances today. I've always known I had a compulsive shopping disorder but it never really bothered me until a few short sentences from a fellow guitar center frequenter. Let me set the mood. I've been trying to figure out which of my most recent guitar purchases was going to be sold for an axe fx. I tried parting with one of my "clones" but just couldn't see it through as I like them just as much as any ebmm. What it came down to was either my evh or the new axis. Let me tell you all now, I DID NOT WANT IT TO BE THE AXIS. I really wanted to sell the evh bc the Axis really grew on me. Something about a brand spanking new neck that feels wonderful. Either way, something had to go to make room for the axe fx. So I loaded up my truck with the evh and axis and off to gc I went with the intention of losing a couple bucks and just selling the evh to them. Well, I went to the "wrong" store apparently as they had no clue about the evh value and kept referring to it as an axis. I pointed out that they had some on their site ranging from 2k-3k(the trans gold in cali) Kid comes back and says they're not the same kind of guitar. At this point I'm getting agitated and I decide to just return the axis. On a side note, I now see why I've come across some amazing deals, Sometimes these guys just don't know what they're bringing in and sometimes the customers are just not educated on what they're selling.
    Anyways, here's where my realizations come in. As I'm waiting for my return to be processed I take my evh over to the jvm head and start cranking out. Guy comes over to me(someone I see often there) and we start talking guitars, ebmm specifically. I proceed to tell him Im returning an axis in new condition for a used price. He goes over to the counter, looks real quick and comes back over to me.
    Guy: "How much are those new?"
    Me: "That one with the matching headstock was probably around 1800"
    This guy without even playing it or thinking about it then says this" Man, Im buying it." Now this is a guy that's never had an ebmm and from what the sales guy was telling me has over 50 guitars. As the return was finished and I was walking out the door he looks at me and says " For 1000, thats a good deal, I have to buy it for that" Thats the one that got me. This guy is me in 20 years if I don't put a cap on my addictive spending. Some of you forum members know I buy,sell and trade a lot and I am always on the hunt for a good deal or guitar.I will sometimes buy things that I've never wanted or don't need just because it's a "good deal."Put it this way, I wake up every morning and go through the same routine. Coffee followed by gc used, ebay, gbase, cl in that order. I am constantly looking and buying. How many of you can say you've been through 30+ guitars and over 15 amps in under a 2 year period? I will say this, my compulsive behaviour has landed me some incredible once in a lifetime deals but I'm starting to buy/sell more than I play at this point and that makes me sad...I think I need to set a goal of what I want and what I want to achieve in the sound dept. I really need to start playing with a band or something to make me want to strive to be better at playing and not flipping.Sorry about the long thread and thanks to anyone who actually got to the end.
    PRS Custom 24 Floyd artist package-Abalone
    PRS Custom 24 Floyd artist package-Bonnie Pink
    Axe FX II
    all mogami platinum/gold cables

User Info Menu

On the plus side....you write well and I made it all the way to the end. Usually I can't read a very long post. Sorry you feel bad man. Don't be too hard on yourself however. Sometimes its just the realization that something needs to change that IS the precursor to change something you don't like about yourself. One thing I do several times a year is just swear off something I do a lot, for a specified amount of time....for instance participating in forums or what have you. I feel you man and good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanone View Post
    Well,let's start this thread out with the question "have any of you out there ever knew you had an addiction but never thought about it until it was staring you in the face?" I had one of those instances today. I've always known I had a compulsive shopping disorder but it never really bothered me until a few short sentences from a fellow guitar center frequenter. Let me set the mood. I've been trying to figure out which of my most recent guitar purchases was going to be sold for an axe fx. I tried parting with one of my "clones" but just couldn't see it through as I like them just as much as any ebmm. What it came down to was either my evh or the new axis. Let me tell you all now, I DID NOT WANT IT TO BE THE AXIS. I really wanted to sell the evh bc the Axis really grew on me. Something about a brand spanking new neck that feels wonderful. Either way, something had to go to make room for the axe fx. So I loaded up my truck with the evh and axis and off to gc I went with the intention of losing a couple bucks and just selling the evh to them. Well, I went to the "wrong" store apparently as they had no clue about the evh value and kept referring to it as an axis. I pointed out that they had some on their site ranging from 2k-3k(the trans gold in cali) Kid comes back and says they're not the same kind of guitar. At this point I'm getting agitated and I decide to just return the axis. On a side note, I now see why I've come across some amazing deals, Sometimes these guys just don't know what they're bringing in and sometimes the customers are just not educated on what they're selling.
    Anyways, here's where my realizations come in. As I'm waiting for my return to be processed I take my evh over to the jvm head and start cranking out. Guy comes over to me(someone I see often there) and we start talking guitars, ebmm specifically. I proceed to tell him Im returning an axis in new condition for a used price. He goes over to the counter, looks real quick and comes back over to me.
    Guy: "How much are those new?"
    Me: "That one with the matching headstock was probably around 1800"
    This guy without even playing it or thinking about it then says this" Man, Im buying it." Now this is a guy that's never had an ebmm and from what the sales guy was telling me has over 50 guitars. As the return was finished and I was walking out the door he looks at me and says " For 1000, thats a good deal, I have to buy it for that" Thats the one that got me. This guy is me in 20 years if I don't put a cap on my addictive spending. Some of you forum members know I buy,sell and trade a lot and I am always on the hunt for a good deal or guitar.I will sometimes buy things that I've never wanted or don't need just because it's a "good deal."Put it this way, I wake up every morning and go through the same routine. Coffee followed by gc used, ebay, gbase, cl in that order. I am constantly looking and buying. How many of you can say you've been through 30+ guitars and over 15 amps in under a 2 year period? I will say this, my compulsive behaviour has landed me some incredible once in a lifetime deals but I'm starting to buy/sell more than I play at this point and that makes me sad...I think I need to set a goal of what I want and what I want to achieve in the sound dept. I really need to start playing with a band or something to make me want to strive to be better at playing and not flipping.Sorry about the long thread and thanks to anyone who actually got to the end.
    I am almost that bad., .I would have bought that from you too.....
    25th Anniversary, Flame Top, 2009
    Axis Tribute Trans Pink 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Purple 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Black 2012
    Axis Trans Orange 2012 Killer Neck
    Cutlass Turquoise 2018 Roasted Neck
    Life is a journey, not a destination.....Enjoy the ride!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9RX...1&feature=plcp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TSHOW View Post
    I am almost that bad., .I would have bought that from you too.....
    I had it in the for sale thread. I would rather have had a knucklehead get it,for what I paid for it, than some unknown.
    Axe FX II

User Info Menu

I was like that for a little while and then I got sick for about a year and realized it was all just stuff and have been selli g all the stuff I don't really need. I have my acoustics that I kept and my music man guitars and my first strat I sold off amps ,pedals ,guitars ,CDs. And other crap I don't need and I have to say it was very liberating. Now I am very careful on what I buy and only buy if I really need or have the money for. Pretty now all I use is my morse and sterling ax 40 and some pedals and a Mesa boogie or my Marshall and some pedals. It takes some time to get over the feeling of wanting to buy things but it can be done if yu really put your mind to it.
    Gio

Steve Morse Y2D with Floyd Rose
    Blueburst Steve Morse standard
    Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

Things are just that: things.

As long as you dont bury yourself in debt, trading stuff is ok. I tend to do the same (not as many guitars as I'd like, since MM are pretty rare here). Sometimes I even earn a few bucks.

The trick, to me, is not to be attached to things. If they have to go, then just let them go. Everything flows.

But you must be at peace with it...it all comes down to a personal choice. Whatever works for you is perfect.

Good luck!
    Y2D PDN DOB 09/27/12
    Standard Morse DOB 07/17/12
    Darklord DOB 06/29/12
    Silhouette special all rosewood neck DOB 04/27/11
    25 anniv. BFR all rosewood neck. Nº 20 of 25 DOB 09/09/09

Mesa/Boogie MarkV head + 4x12 Recto Cab, Slant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanone View Post
    I had it in the for sale thread. I would rather have had a knucklehead get it,for what I paid for it, than some unknown.
    I am sorry.., I didn't see it...I need to check that thread more often....I mentioned it to you on a post once...My Bad....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarp77 View Post
    Things are just that: things.

As long as you dont bury yourself in debt, trading stuff is ok. I tend to do the same (not as many guitars as I'd like, since MM are pretty rare here). Sometimes I even earn a few bucks.

The trick, to me, is not to be attached to things. If they have to go, then just let them go. Everything flows.

But you must be at peace with it...it all comes down to a personal choice. Whatever works for you is perfect.

Good luck!
    Amen......Good advice...

User Info Menu

Dude, at one point around 2002 or so I had 13 Music Man guitars and 5 other brand guitars... not to mention several amps. I sold off everything but the 3 Music Man guitars that meant something to me and 1 amp.i can't tell you how hard it was to part with my last EVH, a very nice green one, but I can tell you it felt so good to clear out the clutter... I didn't buy a new guitar until 2010 when I got the HHAL and I'll tell you the gas has started once again. What I have been doing is playing 2 guitars at a time while casing the other 2. When I feel I need something new I pull one out of the case and put one of the ones I had out back in their case. It works somewhat well as I have really fought the urge to buy something new. A baby on the way and the boycott of Guitar Center except for strings has also helped a lot!
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Well, that's a humble admission, Roger. The thrill of the chase can be addictive. I think the solution lies in finding a balance. Less time shopping vs more time playing.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

I'm just as bad, I spend half my work day, checking ebay to see if in the last 30 mins or so, someone has listed that precious gem that got away a few year back. I have 2 MM JP6's and not just regular old JP6's a Dargie II and a BS Roasted (easily best guitars I have and I have many), so I should be happy with that...right??? But I see a Tangerine Pearl and I have to have it, I NEED THAT GUITAR NOW!!!! so I find one halfway across the world, so i get it faster than ordering. That was less than a month ago. Last week I see an olive gold one...can I juggle a few things around, sell some pedals..I NEED THIS GUITAR TOO!!! sorry gottta go check again...
    JP6 Mystic Dream/Rosewood
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Dargie Delight II
    JP6 Black Sugar Roasted BFR

User Info Menu

Roger! Your as normal as all of us, including the 11 EBMM I have 29 high end guitars. I don't usually sell anything though. I also use two Riggs
    1993 Trans Red EBMM EVH
    1993 Sunburst EBMM EVH
    1995 Trans Blue EBMM EVH
    1993 Trans Green EBMM EVH
    1994 Trans Amber EBMM EVH
    1992 Trans Purple EBMM EVH
    2011 Trans Purple EBMM Tribute
    1993 Trans Pink EBMM EVH
    2011 Trans Pink EBMM Axis Tribute
    2011 Trans Black EBMM Axis Tribute
    2015 Polor Noir Majesty
    2001 Trans Blue EBMM Custom Made EBMM Axis Super Sport

User Info Menu

I'm with Tollie on this - it is the thrill of the chase. I've seen it in auctions when people just try to outbid the other and go way past their set price - fuelled by the "thrill" adrenaline or as <1 states, fuelled by the fact that he can possibly obtain "some incredible once in a lifetime deals".
    First step is to recognise the "addiction" next thing is to take steps to cure it.

It's so easy to fall into. e.g. there was an original EVH case advertised with all the paper work in the USA, I sent e mails and followed it up arranging finance from the UK to the USA. I got my myself all angsty about it ... ... you know what ? - "so what" I say and just get on playing my guitars instead of fretting over something that at the end of the day is really not that important.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Having multiple guitars is not only about owning, it's also about inspiration.

When I joined in 2003 (10 years ago!!! Jesus) I used to purchase a new EBMM guitar every 6-8 month. I have slowed down and now also reach the point where I could live with 3-4 guitars. I think I will part with 2 or 3 of mine that I just don't play cause I love the other more. As I'm not in need of maney I simply keep them.

But sometimes EBMM is coming with new colors like the Balli burst that is just stuning and suddenly gas strikes again
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys. Tollie said it best as it's the thrill of the chase type thing. And like Matty, I've been known to have ebay up all day checking every 20mins or so just to see what has popped up. Talked to the gf last night and I'm pretty happy with the 3 I have now but we came up with a list and Im going to try and stick with it. So the axe fx II will be on its way this week. After that we came up with sticking to 5 guitars total and my next 2 will be balls. This is the key, until I am ready to buy I am going to "try" cutting out the compulsive "window shopping." So no more spending my days with my laptop or droid scouring the net for things and more time playing when I'm not working.
    Axe FX II