Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bass Guitar for a Guitar player? EBMM

User Info Menu

Best Bass Guitar for a Guitar player? EBMM

I was wondering if i want to make the jump to bass playing which EBMM Bass guitar will be more suited for a guitar player? i know that Sterling model has a smaller body and probably should be more comfortable for a guitar player to learn some bass playing. i've been in a band for 3 years now and it is always difficult to find bass players in my town, so i was thinking that i could make the jump to bass and let others do the guitar work for a while, anyway I have always been attracted to the idea of learning Bass guitar.

what do you think guys? I'm a EBMM guitar player, therefore i can't think of a brand other than a EBMM. for those that the prime instrument is guitar, what recommendation do you give for a Bass Guitar model?

and for a Bass Amp?? i was thinking MarkBass maybe

thanks!!
    EBMM Steve Morse Signature Model Blueburst rosewood fretboard DOB:12/22/11
    EBMM Albert Lee MM90 Gold Top all rosewood neck DOB:05/26/11
    EBMM Luke III Olive Gold all rosewood neck DOB:07/18/12
    EBMM Axis Sport MM90 Pewter rosewood fretboard DOB:01/21/99

User Info Menu

I have a bongo and love it. I play guitar as well. Just the tone and way it sits on the shoulder is awesome. Can't go wrong with any of them, but, the unique shape of the bongo and it's tonal pallet are suberb. MarkBass amps are beast.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

I've been playing bass longer than guitar and own a few EBMM of each. They're all similarly comfortable but I'd suggest finding one as light as possible. I've never played a sterling but can say from experience that the big al and bongo are really great. If you try the bongo see if the body shape agree with you as the bottom horn can really dig into your leg while seated. I've gotten used to it but that was initially uncomfortable for me. The others feel more traditional in that respect.
    Feels good being a Premier Dealer. I can own more Balls this way.
    glorydaysrockshop.com
    facebook.com/glorydaysrockshop
    http://stores.ebay.com/Glory-Days-Rock-Shop

JPX 7 Black Sugar w/Roasted Neck
    Luke BFR Neptune Blue
    Axis Tribute Pink

User Info Menu

I play both, but I'm a guitarist at heart. I've tried a few different basses through the years but the StingRays just feel the best to me. That said, I dont think you can go wrong with any of the instruments EBMM makes, and in an ideal world I'd have a few more. It's an easy answer but try out all of the ones you can find until something sticks!

Also, if you're just thinking of getting into it maybe try out one of the sterling basses first? They're great quality instruments too.
    EBMM Silhouette Candy Red Maple Neck Black Scratchplate
    EBMM AL HH Trans Walnut Trem
    EBMM Axis Sport Trans Purple Maple Neck - Now sold.
    EBMM Stingray 5 Sunburst Maple Neck

User Info Menu

what about that silo bass I onve saw? I think sweat was selling one for a while. I was wicked interested in one of those at one point
    PRS Custom 24 Floyd artist package-Abalone
    PRS Custom 24 Floyd artist package-Bonnie Pink
    Axe FX II
    all mogami platinum/gold cables

User Info Menu

Mike Greene and myself were hanging at Dubaldo once for a clinic and he put it just right, the Sterling is the guitar players bass. I had one at one point and I have to agree 100%.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

looking at the specs of the Sterling, i had a wild guess that is the guitar players bass... so i maybe right then?
    EBMM Steve Morse Signature Model Blueburst rosewood fretboard DOB:12/22/11
    EBMM Albert Lee MM90 Gold Top all rosewood neck DOB:05/26/11
    EBMM Luke III Olive Gold all rosewood neck DOB:07/18/12
    EBMM Axis Sport MM90 Pewter rosewood fretboard DOB:01/21/99

User Info Menu

my bro has 4 string big al bass that can cover p,j and the distinctive stingray bass tone in one bass, it feels great on my hand and look like a guitar with 'SSS like' configuration

User Info Menu

The Sterling is an awesome bass, but don't think it's small body is the answer. I love StingRays too. The StingRay's body is not significantly bigger than a normal silhouette guitar! There is no best bass for a guitar player any more than there is a best bass for a sax player. No matter what model you choose, the strings are fat and the necks are long, the bridge is at the bottom o the body and the scale length is the same, and you will need a wider strap to save your shoulder.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

FWIW I think a Sterling or a Stingray would be a good choice, because if you come to sell it, it will also appeal to the "not the dyed in the wool, music man aficionado". They are considered to be a classic type of bass.
    I've been playing bass a little while now and have my eye out for a cheap Mark Bass combo. Just missed out on one, but one will turn up.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

My vote goes to the Sterling.
    SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    dob:12/29/11

EBMM Sterling 4 string - Carbon Blue Pearl
    dob:04/07/05

User Info Menu

+1 on the Sterling. I own a black one with a birdseye maple neck. Hangs right next to my bfr jp6 koa.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Sterling. Single H has lots of tone options. I just run it through my Keyboard amp at low volumes and it sounds great for my jam room. This picture shows the body size against another great EBMM.

Last edited by CHill; 04-08-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    2009: JP6 w/BFR Rosewood Neck - Ice Blue
    2010: Silhouette HSH w/Matching Neck - Black
    2010: Ernie Ball WAH - Black/Green and smooth like silk
    2011: Sterling H w/Matching Neck - Black

User Info Menu

I personnally have a bongo, it's a fantastic bass but like also the thiner neck on the sterling
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Sterling. I've had a Stingray and like the feel of the Sterling neck better. The Stringray neck was a little hard for this guitar player to get used to.
    Vintage Sunburst Silhouette Special, '06; 20th Anniversary Silhouette, '06; Honeyburst Sterling '00

I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
    He said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

Enter the Void:
    http://www.voidmusic2000.fourfour.com
    http://www.facebook.com/voidmusic2000