Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal

Thread: EVH really noisy?!

User Info Menu

EVH really noisy?!

Been working with my new toy for the past week or two and I'm a bit perplexed about how damned noisy the thing is when plugged into an amp on a distorted channel - there's a LOT of background buzz, the kind I typically associate w/ single pickup guitars in a distorted amp.

Anybody else experience this or have any thoughts on what might be happening here?

User Info Menu

no, there must be somethings wrong. check all wires, maybe the grounding cable is bad.
    91 EVH Trans Black Quilt Top
    ?? Axis EX Trans Red Quilt Top
    05 JP6 Mystic Dream
    09 JP6 Dargie Delight II
    10 JP6 Pearl Redburst Limited
    07 JP6 BFR Ruby Red Burst
    05 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    06 SM-Y2D Tobacco Burst
    10 SM-Y2D BFR Black Sugar
    12 SM-Y2D PDN Honey Roasted
    14 SM-Y2D Rosewood Neck Solar Flare
    OLP MM-5 Silhouette Bassguitar
    OLP MM-1
    SBMM JP70 Stealth Black
    SBMM JP70D Pearl White ltd.

check out: www.reverbnation.com/morbidsky

User Info Menu

Both pickups? Tried a different cable?

User Info Menu

Any fluorescent lights, or computers nearby?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Several things it could be. Are you certain it is the guitar?

User Info Menu

Usually it's something to do with electric field or ground. Sometimes the cable have impact on that, too. This problem is very obvious, I'm pretty positive that nothing is wrong with your EVH. And yes single coil tends to buzz louder. Anyways, does it gets quieter when you touch the pickup's metal part or any other parts that your hand can conduct electricity?
    John Petrucci XI - 6 Onyx
    John Petrucci - 6 White Pearl G63460 DOB: 04/20/12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Both pickups? Tried a different cable?
    That would be good to know.

I assume its used and wonder if the pickups have been swapped out and new ones wired incorrectly for coil split. I am not sure why anyone would swap out the pickups but then again it is evh which has pickups that cant be bought over counter no?

User Info Menu

No those pups only come with an EVH and the reason someone would swap them is they go for a good amount of scratch on the used market. Dont jump to conclusions right away as it could be something as simple as beej stated like a bum cable. Have you tried it with any other amp or a different cable? If not that would be the first thing to do. Also as Spud mentioned where you are playing how is the lighting and electrical outlets? I do not know how handy you are or if you just bought the guitar but if nothing changes I would look into seeing if their were any loose solder joints or if the pups were swapped out. If you just bought it and the pups were swapped I would go get my money back!