JP 20th Anniversary
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 7 Long Years, Thank You!

User Info Menu

After 7 Long Years, Thank You!

So today I went in to my local Guitar Center, expecting to test out the standard JP's and the JPX to see which one I wanted to purchase. Now because I love unfinished necks from my personal experience with my Jackson, I'm thinking this whole time that the regular JP6 is going to be my axe, and I would be asking GC to put an order in for a fully loaded JP6 in White. Well, I walked in to the store with my Pops because I love to have his feedback before making such a huge decision.

I look on the wall and at the top I see a JP12. Never before have I seen a JP11 or a JP12 at my local GC so I figured, "You know what? Lemme give this new neck radius a shot." To my surprise, I couldn't put the guitar down. What felt like ten minutes was an hour in reality, and my Dad was just like, "So what? Are you gonna buy it yet?" I set the guitar down and picked up a regular JP in El Dorado Gold just to feel how the aesthetics felt and to basically compare the major differences of the guitar. To be honest, I was choking all over the place. My mistakes really shined, and I wasn't feeling that "inspiration" that I was feeling from the 12. Although there were things about the JP6 I loved, for whatever reason I was playing like I never played before on the 12, and my Dad noticed it as I was playing the regular JP6. He told me, "You played like a monster on that 12, on this one you just aren't yourself." At that moment I realized, the JP12 was the guitar for me, and I NEVER expected to purchase it.

Guys, I have lurked around on this forum since 07, and have LONGED for a Petrucci since I bought an OLP back in 05 and realized at the time when I was in 7th grade that I bought a fake, not realizing that Music Man was the legitimate company. Yes, I was young and naive. My Jackson has definitely held me through and will continue to keep that guitar in my tool box, but after purchasing the JP12, my life long dream has finally happened, and I can honestly say that I now own a guitar that I am truly in love with, and one that inspires me to play better than ever.

My thanks go out to Mr. Petrucci, Mr. Sterling Ball and the Ball family, and all who were involved in designing and creating these wonderful instruments. You have won another musician over, and I must say I don't think I can ever own another guitar unless it is a Music Man. The craftsmanship is out of this world, and the tones I am receiving are like none I have heard from any guitar I have ever played.

So with that my friends, I present to you the axe!

Proud Owner Of:
    Ernie Ball Musicman JP12

User Info Menu

Nice! It's great when you find a guitar that you really gel with especially when you did'nt expect it. Same thing happened to me last year with the AL HH having exclusively played JP6 and Axis guitars for years.

Kudos for your Dad as well, he sounds like a very patient guy!

Enjoy the 12!!!!

User Info Menu

awesome!!!!!

congrats!!!

I know what it's like to wait a long time for a Music Man. It's always worth it.
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

Yucatan Blue Axis
    Black Sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Fantastic!! Congrats on the purchase

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Congrats man!!!
    Ernie Ball MusicMan Luke III HSS PDN 2012 Honey Burst

User Info Menu

Congrats!!! It is a great feeling to be inspired by your guitar.
    Starry Night LIII HH
    DuBaldo Blue LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Congrats, what a great feeling...Good score....
    25th Anniversary, Flame Top, 2009
    Axis Tribute Trans Pink 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Purple 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Black 2012
    Axis Trans Orange 2012 Killer Neck
    Cutlass Turquoise 2018 Roasted Neck
    Life is a journey, not a destination.....Enjoy the ride!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9RX...1&feature=plcp

User Info Menu

Great story, and I love cherry sugar.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family! I felt the same way you do about my JPX! It's a beast!

I felt like I had accomplished my life long goal of owning a Petrucci model. Like yourself I thought I was going to be purchasing myself a JP6 with the Mystic Dream finish but, The JPX was in the store and I just couldn't leave without it. I played better on it and I just love, love, love the Barolo finish. Seriously you guys, pictures cant even begin to do it justice. It's one of those colors you have to see in person!

User Info Menu

congrats and welcome to the addiction.
    91 EVH Trans Black Quilt Top
    ?? Axis EX Trans Red Quilt Top
    05 JP6 Mystic Dream
    09 JP6 Dargie Delight II
    10 JP6 Pearl Redburst Limited
    07 JP6 BFR Ruby Red Burst
    05 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    06 SM-Y2D Tobacco Burst
    10 SM-Y2D BFR Black Sugar
    12 SM-Y2D PDN Honey Roasted
    14 SM-Y2D Rosewood Neck Solar Flare
    OLP MM-5 Silhouette Bassguitar
    OLP MM-1
    SBMM JP70 Stealth Black
    SBMM JP70D Pearl White ltd.

check out: www.reverbnation.com/morbidsky

User Info Menu

Awesome man, great read too, thanks

User Info Menu

Great choice...great story...congrats...

That has to be the best way to choose a guitar.. play it til you realise it fits you like a glove & you don't ever wanna put it down

Cheers
    Baz

User Info Menu

That's one sweet looking axe , must sound amazing .grats

User Info Menu

Seriously, it is. Your hands don't lie. You can want a guitar all you want but if you don't get along with it personally, you'll have a hard time adjusting your playing style to suit that axe.

With this guitar it was like a perfect match. What is funny is I was going to finance the JP6 in El Dorado Gold but something told me not to. After waiting a few months I had the cash in hand and that day something told me to just go to GC. Well when I went back, the JP12 was there. You can't fight fate. I'm thankful that I made the right decision lol.

Funny story, I actually broke my top string today but replaced it with a 9 gauge. I am assuming JP12's are set up with 9's out of the factory, right? Otherwise I might have made a huge mistake, not that I notice any tension issues etc.

And it literally took me 45 minutes to figure out how to take the string out of the nut. After realizing there is a screw behind the tuner that locks the string in place, I finally figured it out and I felt a bit stupid haha. Never seen anything like it before, and I must say that it is a whole lot more convenient than the typical Floyd Rose. Innovation at its finest!
    Proud Owner Of:
    Ernie Ball Musicman JP12

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Glad you found what you were looking for....the JPs are such great guitars!!!