Strap on your style

Thread: jack's new project - step up from a sub 1 this time

User Info Menu

jack's new project - step up from a sub 1 this time

Unknown to many, I have a small guitar workbench area in my basement and over the last couple of years have become hooked on buying inexpensive, easy to find craigslist guitars of a particular variety and learning how to setup, level and crown, roll fretboard edges, paint, body work, yadda yadda. Recently, I bought $60 worth of GFS "as is" body and neck and got to work fixing the back bow of the $22 neck. With that small success, I saw the ad here for a back bowed Silhouette and could not resist. (thanks, Gary, by the way) As it came out of the case:

I did a cursury tune and played around with the truss rod a bit and indeed....even with 11's at standard tuning, there was going to be not much relief at all. Down to the bench. Off with his head....uh, I mean neck:

A bit of heat, a bit of pressure at the headstock end, a bit of weight (like my weight.....looks like random crap from my basement) in the middle. Let it cool like that.

To be continued.......
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
    Unknown to many, I have a small guitar workbench area in my basement and over the last couple of years have become hooked on buying inexpensive, easy to find craigslist guitars of a particular variety and learning how to setup, level and crown, roll fretboard edges, paint, body work, yadda yadda. Recently, I bought $60 worth of GFS "as is" body and neck and got to work fixing the back bow of the $22 neck. With that small success, I saw the ad here for a back bowed Silhouette and could not resist. (thanks, Gary, by the way) As it came out of the case:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps4872cdc8.jpg

I did a cursury tune and played around with the truss rod a bit and indeed....even with 11's at standard tuning, there was going to be not much relief at all. Down to the bench. Off with his head....uh, I mean neck:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps94afe678.jpg

A bit of heat, a bit of pressure at the headstock end, a bit of weight (like my weight.....looks like random crap from my basement) in the middle. Let it cool like that.

http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Jac...ps2e79ca5b.jpg

To be continued.......
    So you're the one who beat me to the blue dawn
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Jack buddy, again man, nice snag!!!

Original Blue Dawn!!!

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

glad to see that someone got this and is able to fix her up.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

Good luck, I hope you can fix the problem. I love blue dawn.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    So you're the one who beat me to the blue dawn
    And me! Luckily he's not far away for a beatdown!
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

Good luck Jack!!! I hope you can fix the original neck...that thing plays so sweet its worth saving. Sadly, that was my last Ball and I will miss it. Give it a good home.

Gary

User Info Menu

I was VERY close to getting that one. It nearly made it's way over the pond if you guys had dragged your feet!

IMO if a bit of heat and weight ( I would have sanded the neck and tried some steam too) won't fix it, then you will need to consider:-

1) Taking the neck off (ohh you already have!)
    2) Take the frets out
    3) Then you Backbow the neck - just as they do it in the factory before they "swing" the neck on the belt sander.
    4) Plane (shoot the neck) and then radius the neck by hand.
    5) Refret the neck, and fretdress, I would have "ramped" off the frets above fret 12 (I would have used stainless steel frets, this would also help towards re tensioning the neck what with stainless having higher tensile properties), maybe cut a new nut for it and then general set up.

I've seen this backbow problem in many Gibson and Fender Guitars in my mates workshop.
    Incidentaly if my memory serves me right I noticed a few dings that need repairing from the original photos that MFreak posted?
    My plan was to install a Piezo system, and use some of the paint chips from the area that would take the pre amp, to repair the dings - just like Tim had done (by Chandlers?)with his Axis when he went from two knobs to one.

I would have taken photos all through the process and posted them on here, so I'm glad that you are doing the same.
    Anyway, you got it instead of me - good luck.
    Last edited by Spudmurphy; 05-14-2013 at 03:02 AM.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

The heat and pressure worked. Neck is slightly bowed forward with the truss rod loose and neck free. Now, to level. With my notched rule, I set to make the fretboard level.

I level with a piece of marble with 320 glued on.

Once all the frets are level, it's time to crown them, so it will intonate correctly. The technique makes the frets round on top from a side view. Yah, I do it old school by hand with a triangle file and masking tape to protect the fingerboard at each fret. I have a dolphin file but don't like it. I think I've done 5 frets with the thing total.

Level and crowned, I turn to the finish. Some wonder wipe action to see if that'll be enough. Not quite, I don't think. So just to be sure, some thinner to take off any wax and a couple coat and wipe of tru oil. I'll leave it overnight to dry then wax it with some zymol carnauba wax.

7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

Great post Jack!

EBMM Game Changer - HSH
    EBMM Armada - Black
    EBMM Majesty 7 - Arctic Dream
    EBMM Luke III - 2014 PDN Neptune Blue HH - Roasted
    EBMM Luke III - Olive Gold - HSS - Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Axis - Trans Gold Quilt -Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Albert Lee - True Gold - Roasted Maple Neck - Mahogany Body - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    EBMM Albert Lee - Classic White - RW Neck - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    SBMM JP50 - Stealth Black
    SBMM AX30 - White
    SBMM AX40 - Trans Blue
    SBMM Silo20 - Black
    SBMM Ray 34

User Info Menu

YES! You fixed it!! nice post!
    Balls..... everywhere!

User Info Menu

Amazing progress Jack. You're doing a great job.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Back together with the pickup poles cleaned up a bit, waxed the neck and put on some slinkys to check the action and playability before work. Appeared to play. Went to work, came home and did a quick setup and the truss rod needed a bit of a tweek. That's what I was hoping for. Checked the action and I'm runnin 3/64" at the low E down to about 2.5/64" on the high e which is lower than I normally play (I usually set 4/64 all the way down). Set the pickup heights and played it in just a bit. Boy, is this quiet with the singles and the silent circuit. Plays well.

Spud....I looked over what you had for plans and looked over the hidden places and the chipped spots and decided that I could not match the dawn, so it's staying the way it is. I'm glad it didn't need a refret because I don't yet know how to do that. The level wasn't too bad and the frets were very easy to crown.

On to find the next project. Oh, wait.....I have 2 projects I pushed aside for this one.....

User Info Menu

Hey Jack

It's a shame- although I can read your post I can't see the pictures (which are blocked in my workplace), and I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get home tonight, from working away.

I'm glad that the heat treatment has produced positive results and fingers crossed, that there is no re occurrence.
    I know what you mean about doing a fret job - I would have got my mate to have done that, & I would have helped along the way.
    From what you are saying I think a fret job would be an easy next step for you to do.

I'm looking for a project myself.

Cheers

Spud
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112: