BFR Feb 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought an old Silo on the internet

User Info Menu

Bought an old Silo on the internet

I had been on a merry-go-round over the last months trying to find a mate for my LIII. I had bought a Silo Special, but hated the pickups and let it go. Then I realized I missed it and that I could have just put new pickups in..(such an idiot)..anyway, I began to re-hunt for one. Well, I stumbled upon a 95 Silo for sale at guitarsandeffects .com. It already had 3 emg singles!Plus its a very cool metallic purple.
    It looks almost new and the guy says its in excellent shape! Differences are Grover Locking Tuners, Wilkinson trem..I'll post pics when it arrives. I'm hoping it has the same neck profile as the 08 I let go of. Anybody here have older Silhouettes? I wonder if the Wilkinson and the Grovers are mods, or just what EBMM was using at the time?
    Any thoughts?
    Should get this baby tomorrow..
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III
    Mesa Boogie NAMM Blue Angel

User Info Menu

Nice score! The Grovers and Wilkinson are most probably original. I can't wait to see the photos!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I have 2 Silo Specials. One is a 99 & the other is a 96. My 96 model is a deep Purple with the Wilkinson vintage trem and it "did have" the Grover tuners. I absolutely HATED the Grover tuners so I ordered the Schaller locking tuners from EBMM...HUGE IMPROVEMENT !!

I really like the Wilkinson vintage trem...ALOT. So it WILL remain on this Purple Silo. My pickups are stock for the time being but if I change pickups....I will stick with DiMarzio. Love those pickups !!

I hope this helps.
    99 EBMM Silhouette Special (3 Tone Sunburst) S-S-S
    96 EBMM Silhouette Special (Purple) H-S (Custom pickguard)

User Info Menu

Here's the link. I was looking hard at that one. It was screaming David Gilmour to me. Unfortunately, I've been searching for SRV instead! Have fun! I'm sure it will be awesome.

Musicman Ernie Ball Silhouette
    Eric

Current
    Axis Tribute Trans Black born 12/29/2011
    Silhouette Classic Trans Teal Ash w/floyd 2013 born 3/23/2013
    AL Trans Amber 3 single coil w/solid rosewood neck

Former
    Petrucci BFR Cherryburst Flame born 1/25/2010
    Sub1 Black on Black born 3/11/2005
    Silhouette Special Hardtail Purple born 06/17/1999
    RIP 1998 Amber Axis with Rosewood board destroyed in shipping by UPS in 2000

User Info Menu

That is a beauty! Congrats.

User Info Menu

I guess they didn't differentiate the 22 fret model as a Silhouette Special back then huh? Nice guitar anyhow, excellent snag.
    Play Ball!!

User Info Menu

Yep, I couln't help myself. the emgs will compete with the LIIIs pickups too, so not having to change gain staging in the rig will help. I was nervous about the Wilkinson, never had one or used one, but have heard mixed reviews. The grovers appear to be the same as on an old Anderson I had ..I still have the key somewhere! thanks for posting the link Metro!! Real time pics and player review coming soon! I believe she arrives tomorrow in time for my Friday night gig! thanks All
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

Wilkinson trems are great. High quality units.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

User Info Menu

Looks similar to a mid 90's 22 fret purple silo I posted some years ago with EMGs (HSS) for very little money. I was taking lessons at the place at the time and I still don't know why I didn't buy it.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

Nice Silo Spec! It really should be a 1995, it´s the first year that EBMM was building the Silo Spec. The Special letters on the headstock appeared in 1996. The Wilkinson trem is a great choice, seams to be a 6 point VSV. I also would change the Grover tuners into the Schaller locking tuners. They´re the best tuners around.

Let us hear how it sounds with the EMGs.

I also had a 1995 Silo Spec, I think the neck is a little beefier than the new ones. Not that much. Now I´ve got my 2006 HSH Silo, that´s the perfect guitar and the only one I play.
    Last edited by skerwo; 06-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Man! Love this axe! I had time enough to clean-restring and replace the battery for a gig after I got it Friday! The neck does feel a little beefier than the 08 Silo Spec I had.. I like this one better. Birdseye maple with Rosewood fretboard. The emgs are a little bass-heavy, so I hope to make a few adjustments this week. Not crazy about the Wilkinson bridge either, but the guitar appeared to be intonated well. The grovers appear to be fine. I may see about replacing the bridge and tuners later. I love the emgs on this axe. the paint is good and I worked on the pick scratching with all I had, but was unable to lighten it. Still a beautiful axe. Don't know if I can get current hardare from EBMM, but I will look into it..Thanks all
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

(ehem....lose the pearloid.)

did I type that out loud?
    jeremy

Reflex - Black Maple Hardtail - 11/07/12

User Info Menu

Hmm, black pearl could be pretty darn awesome with that purple.
    Irish/American in Paris

User Info Menu

^ Possibly. I'd have a hard time resisting mint green.
    jeremy

Reflex - Black Maple Hardtail - 11/07/12

User Info Menu

As good as the pictures look, they really don't do the color justice. Its a light metallic purple or deep burgundy..I would almost call it plum..and I disagree, the aged pearliod sets it off! (hey, thats why they make salt & pepper, eh?)
    I will post more pics when I get this scratch remover next week and go back over it. Also, i put chrome knobs on and got rid of the plastic black ones. Changed the look alot. Now I need to get rid of the dirty nickel Wilkinson bridge..(any suggestions?) EBMM won't sell me the current and AJ isn't sure it would fit anyway. I also wish it had the compensated nut, but it plays in tune, (except for the tremolo use)..just ramblin' folks..fell free to opine further...(but the pearliod stays!!!

Shaun
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III