Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use the Guitar Scratch Remover System?

User Info Menu

Anybody use the Guitar Scratch Remover System?

I got a kit to buff out some scratches on my new (to me) 95 Silo. It definitely lessened the appearance of some swirl in some areas, but didn't do as well with superficial buckle rash? Kinda confusing. This stuff gets rave reviews and maybe my scratches are too severe, but it worked ..just okay for me.
    To be fair, I detail cars on the side, so I had previously tried some of my auto stuff too, so...
    Anybody else here use or try this stuff?
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III
    Mesa Boogie NAMM Blue Angel

User Info Menu

I have never tried it but I like scuffs and dings ( if done by me ) it adds a certain personality to the guitar and each mark has a story.
    "What is understood need not be discussed"

User Info Menu

I agree. Its just that this is a used axe and you can tell the paint job was great oriiginally..
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    I agree. Its just that this is a used axe and you can tell the paint job was great oriiginally..
    Do you have any pictures?

User Info Menu

I agree with Jamie (it's quite rare that Englishmen and Frenchmen agree on something : it's difficult to agree with people who drive on the left side and who drink their beer warm) : this thread is useless without pictures !

User Info Menu

Dern, I should have taken them. I had alot of pick swirl on the lower horn just below the pickguard. It lightened that up considerably to where you really have to look closely to see it now. The back has more bucklerash and a couple of long (to me they look light) scratches. It didn't do as good. It deepened the gloss and brought out a bit more color. Its a long process with alot of rubbing and I must have applied both steps multiple times. Maybe it has to do with the Nitro finish?
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

we need Spudmurphy to the rescue here, he is Mr Scratch remover
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    I agree with Jamie (it's quite rare that Englishmen and Frenchmen agree on something : it's difficult to agree with people who drive on the left side and who drink their beer warm) : this thread is useless without pictures !
    I only drink extra cold Guinness!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    we need Spudmurphy to the rescue here, he is Mr Scratch remover
    Nice one lol

I have been called a lot worse!!

For more info on Guitar Scratch remover - take a look here

Guitar scratch remover - excellent!!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

I've used the two polish scratch remover system. The "players kit standard". It works pretty well. It removed some belt scuffs on the back of a couple of guitars. Nothing heavy duty. The best thing about it is the shine. It reminds me of waxing a car. I don't know if it is a miracle worker, but it worked well for what I needed.

User Info Menu

I'm kicking myself for not doing pictures before and after. I will say that the scratches in Spud's pics are about the same on the back of my Silo. Like I said, it got the front pickswirl nicely, but didn't move much of the rash and scratches on the back?? I'll keep working it. I think its a great product overall and am not dissappointed. Great read and info Spud! Thanks!
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

No probs. It is what it is - a very mild abrasive - it doesn't leave a microscopic "Haze" like rubbing compounds like T cut/Ferecela or dare I say it Brasso.

If you use it like a French polisher - make a pad - I used a rubber/pencil eraser wrapped in some cotton and used that - that way you don't get an uneven surface (finger "lines").

It will take a lot of effort in so far as it's not a "wipe on/wipe off" product - you need to add a lot of elbow grease too.
    But the results are very good.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

I used the microfiber towel at first, but it was difficult to keep it focused on such small surfaces, I switched to an automobile wax sponge applicator and used the micro for the final wipes. I put alot of pressure on the tough spots without a great success, but I did go over the whole guitar, so overall good stuff..I'll keep working on the back..
    Shaun

1995 Silhouette
    2013 Luke III

User Info Menu

Perhaps, you can try this :

Normally, on a guitar forum, we should talk about sex, drug & rock'n'roll ... not about polish & housewife's tips !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    I used the microfiber towel at first, but it was difficult to keep it focused on such small surfaces, I switched to an automobile wax sponge applicator and used the micro for the final wipes. I put alot of pressure on the tough spots without a great success, but I did go over the whole guitar, so overall good stuff..I'll keep working on the back..
    Ok, I see where you are coming from. If you have scratches similar to mine it will take a lot of work, insofar as you have to work on the localized area of damage - you are effectively bringing the surrounding area of the top coat down to the same level as the base of the scratch. When I did my JP I used super fine wet and dry down to 12 thousand grit (automotive paper generally goes down to 2 thou) and then used guitar scratch remover to buff it to a finish.
    I just want people to know and I keep emphasizing that it's not a wipe on wipe off product - You can think of it as a super fine burnishing compound. It can also be used on nitro celly, and it contains no silicone.