New banner
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What amp for home use?

User Info Menu

What amp for home use?

I am very new to MM guitars, and mine is actually a Sterling AX 40. I have always played single coil Fenders, and this is the first HB guitar I've had since the 1990's. I'm playing through a modified Fender Champ 600 reissue and it is considerably dark without an OD or Distortion pedal engaged. what amp(s) do you prefer for home only use? I was thinking a Fender Pro Jr might be better since its voiced brighter (I think), but I'm not sure.

User Info Menu

I think it’s always a quandary as to what is a good home/bedroom amp.
    I mean, a 15 watt amp when driven hard will get the neighbours knocking!!

There’s an amp on the market that I have tried that really does fit the bill of a home/bedroom amp and I’ve been seriously thinking about getting one (although a recent guitar purchase has put that thought on hold). That is the Yamaha THR amp.

Yes’ I know it’s solid state but boy does it sound good. See if you can try one out?

Yamaha THR10 Amplifier review | TidyWords
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

I have a THR amp and it is indeed a fine home practice amp with a nice tone and plenty of useful features.

Alternatively, why not go for one of the modeling amps like the Peavey vypyr or Blackstar ID range, they will give a ton of options and modeling these days is a lot better than it used to be.

User Info Menu

Well, humbuckers are usually darker sounding than single coils. It's what they do. But I would have thought that just about an amplifier would have more than enough treble on tap to make even humbuckers sound ugly bright.

I love the THR10! It's fantastic! It won't get loud enough for band practice but the tones out that little box are to DIE FOR! It's on my shopping list.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I've got the Thr10 and its great , only criticism is that with certain guitars it can sound overly bright.

Looks the dogs
    91 Standard Morse
    2010 Tobacco Al HH
    Prs SC245 Nitro Sunburst 57/08 10 Top
    Prs McCarty Dallas shootout 49#50
    Prs Usa Tremonti 10 Top
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013

Matchless Avalon 30 reverb
    Hardwire-Fulltone-Xotic Pedals
    Bonamassa Wah

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukather101 View Post
    I've got the Thr10 and its great , only criticism is that with certain guitars it can sound overly bright.
    I'm thinking of a Vox AC30. One false move of a tone knob and it will cut your head clean off.

But that's what tone controls are for.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

The THR 10 is excellent,as is the Roland cube 30..I think they*ve upped it to a 40 now..both are good..slight nudge for the 10,tone wise.

User Info Menu

I use my Engl Morse head at home, and it sounds great at bedroom volume..but that might be overkill if you just want an 'at-home-amp'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukather101 View Post

Looks the dogs
    Let me know when it goes on Gumtree?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

The THR10 is good. I have a Roland Micro Cube and it is great for home practice.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

I have a 1 Watt Marshall JVM anniversary combo amp. Pricey if you can find one but its THE home amp, period...and its all tube.

User Info Menu

When I want live sound, I'll use my mesa mark V on 10w which usually gets by well at very low volumes. However, most of the time, I don't even turn on the amp, I'll plug directly into the 11R and use a great set of over ear sennheisers phones..

User Info Menu

Roland, Micro Cube........!!!! Unbelievable little amp!!!
    25th Anniversary, Flame Top, 2009
    Axis Tribute Trans Pink 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Purple 2012
    Axis Tribute Trans Black 2012
    Axis Trans Orange 2012 Killer Neck
    Cutlass Turquoise 2018 Roasted Neck
    Life is a journey, not a destination.....Enjoy the ride!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9RX...1&feature=plcp

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for your replies. I've had some of the amps mentioned in the past and they were traded away for one reason or another. However, all these amps were used with guitars that were very different from what I have at the moment.
    I've had:
    Crate VC20 (all tube)
    Roland Micro Cube
    Roland Cube 30X
    Fender Mustang I (very good modeling)
    Peavey Studio Pro
    Peavey Bandit (Great amp, but too big for me)
    Vox AC4 TV8
    Fender Blues Jr (I liked this one alot too)
    Line 6 Spider III (did not like this amp)
    Lunchbox Junior

I tend to like the tube amps better, but its not a philosophical issue, it has just turned out that way. However, the Bandit is definately near the top of my faovorites list... it's just too big and loud and never went above 2. Smaller physical size is also a plus. I would say the Blues Jr was about as big as I'd care to go. The Champ size or Pro Jr size is perfect. I'll keep scouring craigs list. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

On the other hand... I might just need to give it more time and get acustomed to what a Humbucker Bridge sounds like clean. Its definately different than a singlecoil Tele or Strat.