Straps 2020
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Love for the Reflex?

User Info Menu

No Love for the Reflex?

Been lurking for some time and just finished playing my Reflex when it dawned on me that you don't see many threads around here about the Reflex.

Shame as it's such a amazing instrument.

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

I totally agree. I spent some time playing a Game Changer Reflex some months ago. Aside from the whole game changer functionality, I loved the pickups on the Reflex and the general comfort and playability were outstanding!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I love the versatility of my 25th. I often wonder if color/maple top option would have put the Reflex on the proverbial map. It's such a killer guitar from a practical aspect. Love it!!!
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
    I love the versatility of my 25th. I often wonder if color/maple top option would have put the Reflex on the proverbial map. It's such a killer guitar from a practical aspect. Love it!!!
    I love my gold top Reflex w/ matching headstock and rosewood fretboard, total class. The birdseye neck really makes it unique as I don't seem to see many with a highly figured neck.

User Info Menu

To me, the Reflex is the middle aged version of the Axis: the body is similar but a little bigger and all about comfort (the arm carve), and the once muscular neck is a little thinner than it was in it's glory days.

I agree that nice tops and colors would make the Reflex more desirable. At least to me.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

I agree with Tollie. Loved the 25th and the Maple topped Reflexes they did for GC and am dissapointed I missed out on them... But I would go for a Axis Super Sport at this point over the reflex because of the top.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Despite the fact I do own a 25th with a stunning flame maple top I am not a fan of flame/quilted tops, I totally understand that asthetics play a huge part of loving/buying a guitar (I havent bought a Game Changer because I dont like black guitars!!), but I wish more people would get over it and buy a reflex, Resonant, fast slim easy to play necks, versatile pick-ups/switching, perfectly balanced and ergonomic, what is not to love.

The Reflex is hands down my personal favourite guitar of all time, I have played and owned a lot of really nice guitars including custom shop "G" and "F" guitars, at one point or another I have owned one of every musicman model with the exception of the JPX/11/12/13/BFR and now Armada and if I could I would own one of each of them, but once I played the reflex I knew this was the one for me, I have bought all the PDN's I could afford and have never once been dissappointed with the build or finish quality of any of them, I feel lucky to have found such a great brand and a great guitar. Can't wait for my PDN Rosewood neck Tangerine Pearl Reflex!!!!
    Axis Super Sport Black Sparkle "Mr Sparkle"
    Reflex Roasted Maple "Black Mamba"
    Reflex Rosewood Neck Tangerine Pearl
    25th Anniversary "Jeff"

User Info Menu

The Reflex sounds and plays great, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that going from the 25th with amazing tops to solid color reflexes with plain maple necks is a bit of a downer. I won't buy a solid color Axis either (though I thought about a black one with a pick guard)...However, with the similarity in shape I totally get why amazing tops weren't part of the reflex. You don't want people to think it's an Axis because it's a different kind of monster. I hate when I play for people and as soon as they see the Axis they ask me to play "that guy's" stuff... I can see a nice top on a reflex inspiring the same thing...

Although a roasted maple option may change my mind on this if it happened in the future. Love the rosewood, but the AL has that covered.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    To me, the Reflex is the middle aged version of the Axis: the body is similar but a little bigger and all about comfort (the arm carve), and the once muscular neck is a little thinner than it was in it's glory days.

I agree that nice tops and colors would make the Reflex more desirable. At least to me.
    I own an Axis SS, have had several Axis (never EVH), and I have a 25th. With my 25th I find the opposite in the neck - it is by far the thickest of all my EBMM guitars.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

My only grief is the big dots on the fretboard.

Other than that it's pure bliss.

User Info Menu

stratty they are in guitar center you can buy one....

Here is the sad fact...as with much of what we make the public doesnt like it. Its not a strat or lp or even worse a new guitar looks like it was made in jr high woodshop...
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Love the reflex. I just don't get along with single cut guitars.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    JP6 Diablo Blue

User Info Menu

Ah, I see Pacific Blue Burst is available on the Reflex. That's an excellent color.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

It's one of my favorites. I love the white with black binding configuration. So sexy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    To me, the Reflex is the middle aged version of the Axis
    Hah! Good one.

I'm lucky to have a killer 25th, and I find nothing else I have touches it. It's more resonant and full than any of my other guitars.