Everlast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Frets

User Info Menu

Stainless Steel Frets

Curious as to your guys opinions on stainless steel frets?

I've had my JP6 Pearl Redburst for about a year and a half now and after playing it consistently I can honestly say I wouldn't get another guitar without SS frets on them. They bend really smooth and I don't find they add much (if any) high end to the sound. The frets also still look brand new after all the playing on them.

Was there anything in particular that stands out as to why Petrucci started to prefer SS frets?
    EBMM JP6 Pearl Redburst - DOB 4/12/12

User Info Menu

I feel the same way,they are much smoother and they dont seem to eat up the strings like some people say they do.
    EBMM Luke III Olive Gold HSS rosewood neck
    EBMM JPXI - 8/21/13 (sold)
    Ibanez RG920qm premium
    Mesa Lonestar
    Peavey 6505+

User Info Menu

I agree, I have a Silo Spec PDN and 3 other guitars with SS frets and I love them. You can do those big wide Lukather bends and vibrato with ease. I did notice though that with EBMM Slinkys they add a bit of high end scratchness that I don't like. This was solved by switching to Gibson Les Paul strings or DR blues strings.
    - PDN Luke III Neptune Blue HH Roasted
    - PDN Luke III Neptune Blue HH Roasted/Rosewood.
    - JP6 Tangerine Pearl HH with Piezo
    - PDN Silhouette Special (Honeyburst, roasted maple neck, H-S-S)
    - Silhouette Special (H-S-S, Vintage Burst).
    - Silhouette copy with FR (home made)
    - Axis copy (home made)
    - PC-1 copy (home made)
    - JEM copy (home made)
    - SRV Strat (Warmoth)
    - Delux Strat (H-S-S)
    - EVH Wolfgang Special
    - Ibanez RG570

User Info Menu

I think the next guitar I get re-fretted I will get Stainless, just to see what the fuss is all about!
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

Not only are they smooooothe, but you don't have to worry about freat wear. Love 'em!
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

They never oxidize or corrode and once the playing surface is level, crowned and polished, it stays that way. For a long, long time. I'll personally never own a nickel-fretted guitar again.

User Info Menu

Man, wish my JP had SS frets!
    Last edited by bwow; 12-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I am also curious as to why JP went with them after using N/S for so long. I'm pretty sure if he had asked for them, he would have gotten them.

I had a guitar with SS frets, and I just couldn't bond with it. The feel of the frets was part of it. I also am not sure if you get as nice of a mechanical bond with the fret when using metals that are closer in hardness. I also guess I like the resistance that you get from N/S frets.

Some love them, some don't. Only way to find out if you like them is to try them out. As for a change in sound, there is one, the question is whether it can be picked up by guitar pickups, which are limited in frequency response.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I hate to have a mint guitar showing fret wear. SS solved this issue for me. Some people hate them I personally love them. One of the selling points on my brand new JPX.

User Info Menu

I have the SS frets on one of my Axii, and I really like them.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

I am yet to witness anyone being able to distinguish between nickel/silver and stainless steel in properly recorded blind tests - I thought I could, but failed miserably, when put on the spot.
    There simply is no downside to stainless steel frets for me as a player and I will never purchase another instrument without stainless steel frets.

Cheers

Eske
    "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

User Info Menu

I seem to burn through the regular nickel/silver frets on every guitar I buy within 6 months or less so I recently had one of my luke 2 guitars refretted with jumbo stainless frets by Philtone guitars out of Baltimore. I love the luke model's neck width, profile and radius but wanted taller and more durable frets so stainless looked like the best option. So far they're working great with a very slight increase in brightness (easily compensated by lowering the presence on the amp). My other luke was refretted earlier this year with medium jumbo evo gold frets with similar results. Definitely not going back to standard frets if I can help it.
    Luke Luke Blue Dob 6/17/2008
    Luke White Pearl Dob 4/30/2010

User Info Menu

In addition to my Driskill and Parker guitars, I have an Axis and ASS refretted with stainless. Count me among those whose not going back.

User Info Menu

Since i got SS frets on my new custom Ebmm i will never go back, Stainless Steel frets for life..
    Endorsed by Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars USA.
    Featured on the music man Artist page: http://www.music-man.com/artists/dean-wells.html
    Custom Reflex (emerald green sparkle burst/ebony roasted neck)
    25th Anniversary Ernie Ball quilt.
    Reflex/GameChanger Maple neck HSH
    BFR LUKE Emerald Burst Flame top
    LUKE pearl blue
    REFLEX- Maple Neck White/Black

Want list Steve Morse Y2D Blue
    Armada Black burst.

my band TERAMAZE
    www.teramaze.com.au
    My production page
    www.dwellsmusic.com

User Info Menu

I had never liked them. I liked the resistance on the regular frets. Its like lifting weights. You know how with free weights you can lock out the weight, but with a bowflex or band resistance its smoother but it feels weird at the end? That's the way I always felt about stainless.

That being said I just bought a new JP6 and I'm getting used to them. Plus they look great and don't wear out. I'm sure after another month or so and I won't want to go back