Strap on your style
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunt for the ultimate compressor pedal!

User Info Menu

Hunt for the ultimate compressor pedal!

I am currently on the hunt for a compressor pedal for my board and was curious to see what fellow forumites are using. My board currently has a tuner, wah, whammy, overdrive, phase 90 and flanger going into an exotic ep booster and has been performing great with very little noise. My current group plays mostly classic 80's and 90's rock so I need a comp that plays well with a distorted high gain amp. I tried out an exotix sp comp but it added too much noise when put in with my other pedals. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
    Thanks!
    Luke Luke Blue Dob 6/17/2008
    Luke White Pearl Dob 4/30/2010

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what you mean by ultimate, but on the cheap side my boards have always had either a Marshall compressor or the comp side of the Visual Sound route 66. Love them both: cheap, easy to use, and sound exactly like I want my compressors to be (discreet, but adding that little extra balance for funk or chicken picking). I don't use one for very high gain stuff though so I couldn't tell how well they play before a high gain amp sound though...

User Info Menu

Suhr Koji compressor is the way to go. I also tried the Xotic sp and found it added too much noise. the Suhr Koji is quiet and incredibly versatile. I will never need another compressor again. You can check out some demo's on you tube.
    Enjoy.

User Info Menu

I currently have a Wampler EGO that is very good and quiet. That being said my nod would go to the Barber Tone Press....
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I have a keeley compressor. Very dial-in-able. I tried a different brand first (can't remember, and not helpful, I know) but I returned it and got the keeley. Did exactly what I wanted.

EBMM Game Changer - HSH
    EBMM Armada - Black
    EBMM Majesty 7 - Arctic Dream
    EBMM Luke III - 2014 PDN Neptune Blue HH - Roasted
    EBMM Luke III - Olive Gold - HSS - Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Axis - Trans Gold Quilt -Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Albert Lee - True Gold - Roasted Maple Neck - Mahogany Body - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    EBMM Albert Lee - Classic White - RW Neck - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    SBMM JP50 - Stealth Black
    SBMM AX30 - White
    SBMM AX40 - Trans Blue
    SBMM Silo20 - Black
    SBMM Ray 34

User Info Menu

Damage Control Liquid Blues for TONE more so than compression, although the compression is great. The overdrive is very usable, but I like it for the compressor circuit and the treble control and I tend to run it clean with other pedals down the line to add dirt. No controls other than threshold, but the warmth that the tube circuitry adds is something that I have tried to find in other pedals without success. I have wanted to find a substitute because that pedal (i) is large and (ii) uses a non-standard power supply. That pedal is discontinued but you might be able to find one.

The Wampler Ego is the closest substitute I have found. It is a great sounding unit with plenty of controls. Not noisy.

I have both on my pedalboard.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrugDM View Post
    Suhr Koji compressor is the way to go. I also tried the Xotic sp and found it added too much noise. the Suhr Koji is quiet and incredibly versatile. I will never need another compressor again. You can check out some demo's on you tube.
    Enjoy.
    Another vote for the koji.
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

User Info Menu

I had a keeley and never really felt like it did what I wanted it to, it was just ok.
    bought xotic sp compressor and it is an amazing little pedal.
    it adds something to the fullness of the overall sound, and doesn't have a bad setting no matter where I set it.
    also love the small footprint, it fits nicely on my board, I can just leave it on most of the time.
    JP6 Mystic Dream/Rosewood
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Dargie Delight II
    JP6 Black Sugar Roasted BFR

User Info Menu

I love this thread, as I am also in the market. So far, Wampler Ego is what I'm leaning towards. The Keely sounds great also(Youtube clips). I'll be interested to see where this thread goes????
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    EVH Purple Flame,Maple Neck,84096
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

User Info Menu

+1 on Xotic
    I really liked the Keeley 4 knob compressor (Don't recall the actual name)
    Lefties! Unite against our right handed oppressors!

PRS McCarty w./ IRW neck /
    PRS DGT
    Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with this one. I had a 2 knob Keeley for years and this replaced it.

Forest Green Compressor | Mad Professor Amplification
    Carbon Blue Pearl JP6 w/piezo
    Vintage Burst Silhouette Special (SSS)
    Genz-Benz Black Pearl 1X12 Combo
    Allen Accomplice 1X12 Combo

User Info Menu

I use a Homebrew Electronics CPR - it's not a studio effect and as such it has limited options, but it's very quiet, sounds great and does exactly what I want it to do... so it's a keeper. When I picked it up, I tried a host of compressors - the CPR simply sounded the best to me.

Cheers

Eske
    "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

User Info Menu

Check out CompNova from T-Rex...
    EBMM Silhouette Special SSS Candy red
    MM Stingray II Natural

User Info Menu

Owned a Barber Tone Press and a Wampler Ego in the past but now have a Bearfoot Pale Green Compressor, easily the most toneful of the lot.
    Steve

User Info Menu

So many choices with a wide variety of sounds. I had a few Orange Squeezer clones over the years and loved them for that great squashy clean sound. The Analogman one is still my favourite.

These days I have the SP comp on my board. Pretty versatile, small footprint, can be had for cheap, can get very squashy or you can set it so it works well into a distorted amp.