Strap Blocks

Thread: JP 7 string - What version?

User Info Menu

JP 7 string - What version?

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of buying a new JP guitar but this time a 7 string version. For context:

- I have a JP6 Mystic Dream and and JPXI 6 both with Liquifire & Crunchlab pickups.
    - I like the sound a little bit more on the JPXI (more direct, more crunchy)
    - I prefer ebony fretboards to rosewood (look better and feel like more quality to me)

So, here's what I think of all the models in 7 string setup:

JP7 - Not really considering it, the features and looks seem outdated.
    BFR - Paying extra 600 for the finishes is something that I'm not considering, the tobacco burst is my favorite though.
    JPX - I would buy it instantly if it wasn't for the 5-way switch, I love the barolo finish and the black hardware.
    JPXI - Not considering it as I already own a 6 string
    JP12 - I don't like the cherry sugar finish and I find it to be too similar to the JPXI
    JP13 - Again, instant buy if it wasn't for the rosewood fretboard which IMO which looks bad combined with the platinum silver finish, the boost is a nice bonus. The pinnacle of the original model.
    MAJESTY - Polar noir finish is absolutely killer and every new feature is a welcome addition, however the upper horn is not very cool and I'm not sure if this is an experiment or is to become the new basis for all the future petrucci models.

So, I'm deciding between the JPX, JP13 and Majesty. I'm not sure about the tightness of the JPX (chambering) and the 5-way, the rosewood fretboard on the JP!3 and the overall new shape of the Majesty. I know I won't go wrong with any but your insight is appreciated.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I don't see why you're not considering the JP7, it's IMO the most comfortable of the entire bunch. That arm contour is incredibly satisfying to play on, the other guitars have a more traditional curve that is comfy but the original is better in the comfort zone for me. Also the unpainted neck is excellent. The BFR is also very nice, I have one on the way with a Rosewood Neck and it'll fix my only complaint about the XI since it's got the same tonewoods in the body. The XI always felt like the tightest of the bunch, it's very tight and compressed on the top end for a 7 string.

As for the JPX, it's the same thing as your XI except chambered, a slightly thicker neck profile (15" Radius also), and the Barolo Finish. The chambering fixes the compression issue I had with my XI, and cleans and leads have an airy 3 Dimensional feel to them, the 5 way switch isn't that bad at all either. Why would you let something like a switch get between you getting the guitar you really want? You can always buy another switch and use that instead.

The JPXI you already know about since you have it, but the JP12 is completely different tonally to the XI. Much more warm without losing the tightness, nails the Petrucci Tone very easily and is my favorite all around of the Anniversary Models, the X is tied with it in my opinion. The finish is also beautiful, very rarely is it ever the same color from the pictures I've seen of it.

For example, same angle with and without flash.

If it had black hardware and a 5 way, I would have considered the 2nd shot the JPX instead of the JP12.

As far as the JP13, it's very different from the others. New neck profile, new pickups, and has the 20db boost. From playing it for about 2 hours, it's very comfortable with the neck profile but it's not as flat and "thin" as the JPXI/12, reminds me of one of the older RG550 Profiles, especially since it's 17" Radius. Pickups sound immense but not boomy or loud, they just seem to encompass every part of the EQ. I never felt a reason to use the Boost myself, but it was nice to have for certain scenarios. As far as the fretboard material, the Rosewood works very well with it aesthetically and tonally with the Illuminators.

The Majesty, like anyone who wasn't at NAMM, hasn't been experienced yet. So I can't speak for that one.

If I were you, I would give the JP12-7 a chance in person and see how you like it. It's not that similar to the XI, also try the X as well. It isn't as tight as the XI but that doesn't mean it's not Tight.
    Check out my Youtube Channel!
    Jonathan Amaral Music

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the comments Kenji, looks like you've really owned and played them all.

The thing about the JP12 is that I don't like the color at all, I've seen many pictures where it is very bright, or very opaque, or very dark, almost black, etc... And that's the thing that i dislike the most about my JP6 mystic dream (sometimes it looks beautiful and sometimes it looks awful, I want consistency). Feature-wise it's almost a JPXI except for the basswood, I rather try something more different like the jpx, jp13 or something entirely new like the Majesty.

The 5-way switch of the JPX is a big deal for me, I could never be comfortable with old Ibanez and ESP guitars I had, I need precision and speed. The JP13 is also perfect except for the rosewood that I think looks bad next to the platinum silver.

Right now I am inclining towards the Majesty because the Polar Noir looks really badass which compliments exactly how a guitar should look delivering 7 string sounds.

My long term plan is to have 5 Jp models: E-tuning (jpxi), Eb-tuning (jp6), D-tuning (?), C-tuning (?) and a 7 string (my next purchase). So I can still try the other models in the future.
    2014 - Music Man Majesty 7 Polar Noir
    2012 - Music Man JPXI-6 Onyx
    2011 - Music Man JP6 Mystic Dream

Additional Equipment
    Mesa/Boogie Mark V, Road King 2x12 & Cab Clone
    TC Electronic Dreamscape / Flashback / Polytune
    Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    Apogee One
    Logic Pro 9

User Info Menu

That's awesome! What don't you like about the Rosewood on the 13? Just the Aesthetics or the warmth it adds to notes? If you prefer the darker looking wood on it you could definitely stain it black or add some black dye to darken it up quite a bit!

STEWMAC.COM : Black Fingerboard Stain

That works incredibly well, just let it set in and it'll be safe to play on without getting the residue on your finger tips. I'd say apply a good 8-10 coats, letting them dry in and tape off the inlays and your frets during that process. And that's awesome! I think I'll get one more JP6 eventually and keep that in Open C which is the only other tuning I actually write in, maybe even get an Axis or Silo for those purposes!
    Jonathan Amaral Music

User Info Menu

Well I don't like the aesthetics mostly, the tone and playability is something that I can overcome by dialing the amp and practicing more.

I think I've decided to go for the Majesty, seems more special and different to my other guitars. I've watched some recent 2014 live videos and the Polar Noir is being used for every 7-string song except for Illumination Theory which is tuned down to A I believe. Can't wait for it.

Your collection is quite impressive, wish that my country had more market for reselling... when I buy, I am basically stuck with it, that's why I need to think carefully.

Additional Equipment
    Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    Apogee One
    Logic Pro 9

User Info Menu

JP 7 string - What version?-01-music-jpxi-jpgJP 7 string - What version?-02-music-jp6-jpg

Additional Equipment
    Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    Apogee One
    Logic Pro 9

User Info Menu

At this point, I would order a Majesty.

A few months ago, I ordered the JP13, which is great, but that was before the release of the Majesty.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vicsnake View Post
    Well I don't like the aesthetics mostly, the tone and playability is something that I can overcome by dialing the amp and practicing more.

I think I've decided to go for the Majesty, seems more special and different to my other guitars. I've watched some recent 2014 live videos and the Polar Noir is being used for every 7-string song except for Illumination Theory which is tuned down to A I believe. Can't wait for it.

Your collection is quite impressive, wish that my country had more market for reselling... when I buy, I am basically stuck with it, that's why I need to think carefully.
    Not a bad choice! I'm sure you'll love it! And thanks dude, I'm incredibly blessed to have tried everything I have. Most of it was luck with trading and selling other gear at the right time haha. My first was the Mystic Dream Fully Loaded, and after I let go of it I missed it quite a bit and had to try the other models! But I can definitely understand that dude! When I visited my home country, Brazil, my cousin felt the same way since it's hard to find gear let alone trade and sell the stuff.
    Jonathan Amaral Music

User Info Menu

@vicsnake: I just came here to say that it’s like someone took the words out of my mouth about the aesthetics. I’m a visual designer and I agree with mostly everything you said. At one point I wanted to get the JP12 but the finish always stopped me. It’s so dark that in most situations it Just looks black and it gets lost on stage. Especially for people who like to wear black. Agreed on the JP6/7 about looking a bit dated with the chunky body style and sometimes not looking so great. I half agree about the rosewood not matching well with the silver finish on the JP13. Ebony would’ve been perfect. I ended up getting the JP13 because I found one with a very dark fretboard and to me it’s the best out of all of them. I love the classy modern look of the 13 - it’s miles ahead of the rest. I got a majesty too and while the upper horn and the shield are funky looking - the ergonomics are great.