Not electric until you plug it in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke official tremolo setup

User Info Menu

Luke official tremolo setup

hello everyone

I had my luke setup with the tremolo rest on the guitar body...because I thought it would stay in tune better and was easy to go drop D
    now I'm trying to learn some Luke stuff on guitar and wanted to setup the tremolo floating.
    I've read here on the Sterlign Luke thread that "Tremolo is set to Luke’s personal specifications for full
    step and a half bends",
    is that how Luke has his guitars set up?
    I have it now set up to be able to pull off a whole step and seemed to me that the tremolo is already to strange raised up from the body looking from the back of the tremolo or playing position ))
    also I'm curios: have you noticed the tunning stability to be affected when set up floating compared to "resting on the body - dive bomb only"?

thanks
    Last edited by PaoloGilberto; 02-05-2014 at 01:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    the one and a half step is meant for the g-string. If you set it up for another than the g-string the angle of the tremolo might indeed be a little too much.
    As for the tuning stability, I never tried to set the luke up with the tremolo resting on the body. But my Axis Supersport is set up this way because of the piezo and in either case I have never experienced any problems with tuning stability. The MM-vintage tremolos are really good. A little drop of oil here and there and these things work perfectly...
    Cheers,
    Mikey
    EBMM Luke II '05 luke blue
    EBMM Luke II '06 radiance red mh
    EBMM Rosewood ASS HH '05 trem piezo
    EBMM JP 6 '09 olive gold fully loaded
    EBMM JPXI '11 onyx
    EBMM Silhouette '13 emerald green sparkle
    EBMM Luke III BFR '15 HSS blueberry burst flame
    I have been Luked!

User Info Menu

thanks a lot for the reply.
    I did not know that the setup mentioned has something particular with the G string when adjusting that way the tremolo...
    What has the piezo to do with this? my Luke has piezo also, I can't see any problem setting up the tremolo this way..

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly, the reason why you should not set up the piezo equipped guitars to float, is because if the tremolo is tilted upwards the pressure on the piezo saddles is reduced. That can cause a drop in the piezosignal if the tremolo is used heavily. Only exception is the JP6 because the tremolo already floats with the trem set up parallel with the top.
    EBMM JPXI '11 onyx
    I have been Luked!

User Info Menu

that is correct , but as a far as I know only if using piezo and tremolo in the same time
    if you're on magnetic pick ups no problem at all of course , in using tremolo

about the luke tremolo set up floating... a friend very experienced with guitars who also had a silo and now a JP7 tells me that: a guitar should have the tremolo parallel with the body, because of the intonation...

is seems a little strange...so setting the Luke tremolo "floating" = not paralel with the body/resting on it, means you cand have a "perfect" intonation !?

User Info Menu

Yes, that's correct - Steve's trem is set up for step and a half pull on the G string. It may look a bit awkward but it's still VERY stable. Jeff Beck's strats are set in a similar way.

About the tremolo-parallel-to-the-body thing...I always thought it was advised to help improve the tuning stability (especially with strats), you can always readjust the intonation no matter how your tremolo is set.

User Info Menu

I do not see why there should be any intonation problems when the trem is set to float. There is nothing that you cannot compensate by adjusting the intonation- and saddle height-screws.
    EBMM JPXI '11 onyx
    I have been Luked!

User Info Menu

thanks a lot guys for the replies , I will make the setup adjustments this week, hope to find the patience , I always hate this ))

User Info Menu

I'll chime in here since SBMM was mentioned.

I can't comment on the Piezo, since the SBMM LK100D doesn't come with it, but, once you set the trem up to the 1.5 pull float spec, then set intonation, it's spot on and really pretty comfortable.

I'll admit, when we started on the project and I was a bit taken back by the setup, since it seems odd from a purist standpoint. Once I delved into it and perfected the setup, it was like "WOW"! Very cool, very useful, and adds a whole new dimension to ones' playing.

Remember, since it is floating, a string gauge change will knock everything out of whack, so be consistent with your gauges. Also, as you tune it to pitch, do it gradually, three steps forward, two steps back and it will come into tune shortly.
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

User Info Menu

There is a good picture from DrKev in this thread

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...-case-fit.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If I remember correctly, the reason why you should not set up the piezo equipped guitars to float, is because if the tremolo is tilted upwards the pressure on the piezo saddles is reduced. That can cause a drop in the piezosignal if the tremolo is used heavily. Only exception is the JP6 because the tremolo already floats with the trem set up parallel with the top.
    Sorry, but you have this the wrong way around.
    A classic trem dives only - this reduces the tension on the string. When the string is so slack, yes the piezo cuts out.

A floating trem has the ability to also raise the pitch of the string, this increases the string tension - and will not have a detrimental effect.

So the concept is correct, just that you got a bit confused and had it "the wrong way around".
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Hi Spud,
    I meant it exactly the way you described it as well. By "tilted upwards" I just did not mean the pitch of the strings but the base plate of the trem.
    Cheers,
    Mikey
    EBMM JPXI '11 onyx
    I have been Luked!

User Info Menu

My Luke is set up to his spec. I can do chin ups on the trem arm and it won't go out of tune. I love it.

User Info Menu

well I had yesterday "a setup session" ) for the Luke.
    I didn't go for the step and a half pull on the G string, the setup I made is a little above one step ( aprox 1 step and 1/4) on G string
    after that straightened the neck, lowered the saddles (I like a low action) and ...intonation
    I gotta tell you I hate doing the intonation...I had the patience to set the intonation for each string to be "perfect" at the 12th fret, re-tune the guitar and start from the beginning with each string.
    when finishing this I checked again intonation on each string and surprise: 2-5 cents difference from perfect pitch on almost every string
    wtf!? ...
    Last edited by PaoloGilberto; 02-06-2014 at 12:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Are you using just broken in strings or old strings? Best to do intonation work on strings that have just been broken in.