Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petruccis new solo album.

User Info Menu

Petruccis new solo album.

I know it's been in the works for some time now. Do you guys think it will launch within the year? I meant to ask him when I saw him after the concert but was pretty star struck.

I have a couple videos/photos of him playing the majesty here: Instagram

I've heard that it might be Portnoy drumming for him on his new solo album. Can anyone confirm or deny?

User Info Menu

I don't know for Portnoy, but I guess John will work on it afrer DT complete their world tour. I heard there will be a second US leg in january next year or so. May be we'll get the album in 2015. I know Richard Chycki, who did the last DT album, will work on it. Anyway if DT do a second US leg in january, they won't enter in studio around the same date as the 2 last albums, that's mean a late 2015 or 2016 album :-(
    EBMM JP 6 BFR (TransBlack Quilt Top) 2011
    SBMM JP70 (Purple) 2014

User Info Menu

I would be surprised if he got MP for his solo album. Not sure there has been any indication that the parts are in place for that.

Also, I'd be surprised if he got Chycki to do the solo album, considering most of the fan base appears to believe that the production on DT12 is absolutely terrible.

User Info Menu

Rich or John himself confirmed it in a interview.

EDIT:

"What projects are up next for you?

I’ve just finished a remix of Rush’s "La Villa Strangiato" for an IOS app and I’m starting a new solo album with John Petrucci shortly."

http://www.fractalaudio.com/richard-chycki.php
    Last edited by MrJJoncas; 04-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    SBMM JP70 (Purple) 2014

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tis BOOLsheet View Post
    I would be surprised if he got MP for his solo album. Not sure there has been any indication that the parts are in place for that.

Also, I'd be surprised if he got Chycki to do the solo album, considering most of the fan base appears to believe that the production on DT12 is absolutely terrible.
    Most of the fan base is mentally subnormal then.

It was easily the most clear and well produced album so far...

WTF are they complaining about?
    In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds.

Amen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Svava View Post
    Overall compression, drum sounds particularly the snare.... These are the major complains I heard on forums.

I'm fine with the mix. But I have to say I don't like that much the drum sounds. The cymbals are a bit too compressed and the snare sounds isn't natural to me. Sometime I feel like there's too much effects on the vocal too. But I really like how the bass and guitar are mixed. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents, I'm not as pro as Rich at all. I think it's still a good sounding album for sure !!
    SBMM JP70 (Purple) 2014

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Svava View Post
    Most of the fan base is mentally subnormal then.

It was easily the most clear and well produced album so far...

I think the biggest perceived flaw in DT12's production is the drum sound, in particular the snare and kick drums. They don't sound particularly natural to me. Everything is rather heavily compressed, but I believe that was a conscious aesthetic choice (not a consequence of poor gain structure), so I'm fine with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrJJoncas View Post
    Overall compression, drum sounds particularly the snare.... These are the major complains I heard on forums.
    Forums. The repository of the world's knowledge and expertise. Not.
    Last edited by DrKev; 04-24-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Forums. The repository of the worlds knowledge and expertise. Not.
    Hahahahahahaha!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Forums. The repository of the world's knowledge and expertise. Not.
    "I read it on the internet, it must be true!"
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

On the latest album, I love the music, but hate the production. To me, the music doesn't really "breathe", the way I perceive it should. The massive compression is simply annoying to these old ears. To me, the best produced DT albums are Awake and Falling into Infinity - both clear and dynamic...
    "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

User Info Menu

DT12 sounded fine, most of us aren't producers and it's practically a placebo effect thing. Someone points it out and suddenly we start looking for compression and things that aren't necessarily there, it's just produced differently. That's what production is for, everyone has their own style and they progress and learn different things as time goes on, just like guitar!
    Check out my Youtube Channel!
    Jonathan Amaral Music

User Info Menu

It sounded great -,-

You're entitled to your own opinion, even if it is wrong :P
    In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds.

Amen

User Info Menu

I am a huge fan of DT, and I like the music of DT12, though I have to say I strongly dislike the drums sound, like a lot of people. Portnoy's snare sound was a lot better (and I am part of the few ones who think that Mangini is an upgrade to DT)

User Info Menu

Did I mention that before being a guitarist I am a drummer? :P