Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I almost forgot how good the standard JP model sounds (video inside)

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I almost forgot how good the standard JP model sounds (video inside)

    ... until I recorded a bunch of solos with it using a tone that was thus far only used with my BFR.

    I always believed that the BFRs have a fatter, richer tone. However, I found that my regular JP model responds slightly better to my pick attack. Anyway, here's "The Spirit Carries On" solo by Dream Theater I thought I'd share with you.



    Any feedback or comments are welcome!

    Thanks for watching!
    Last edited by Daydream; 04-23-2014 at 03:22 PM.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Well the man himself did use them for like 6-7 years, he wouldn't have used them if they were bad

    I love my BFR's, but I have an equal amount of the Standards for a reason. They're just a different tone as far as I'm concerned, the Standards feel more well rounded and brighter because of the maple neck. And the BFR's do sound thicker as far as I know. I'll definitely be making some direct comparisons between mine, I do prefer the basswood bodied guitars because they're lighter and I can play with them for longer. Good job btw!
    Check out my Youtube Channel!
    Jonathan Amaral Music

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji20022 View Post
    Well the man himself did use them for like 6-7 years, he wouldn't have used them if they were bad
    I wasn't by any means implying that they were "bad" I've been a MM lover ever since I first got my hands on one. I simply tried to say that I kind of reacquainted myself with the standard model after spending way too much time with just the BFR and was positively surprised by the subtle differences.

    It's probably more about pickups than anything else but I also noticed a slight difference as far as gain is concerned. In my view, the BFR has a little bit more gain to it. And thanks for watching my video!

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Beautiful....
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

    2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

    2019 Cutlass SSS Vintage Sunburst

    "I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    I love my jp. It is the most basic jp out there but it screams. Sounds awesome dirty, clean, and everything in between. It was my 1st ball, soon to be 3.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    I watched the "Vivid Moments" video, first time I have seen someone play so "clean" with a 7 string.

    It was great, thanks!

    Welcome to the board.
    Purple Flamed Reflex
    Boogie MKV

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for your feedback guys, I really appreciate it! I will post some more stuff in the future.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Incredible tone & playing; and I certainly didn't think that you implied anything "bad" about the standard JP. Some of my BFRs' don't sound any better than my non BFR's.
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    EVH Purple Flame,Maple Neck,84096
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    very nice tone and playing, thanks for sharing
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Nice playing and your tone is killer! I also liked the "Vivid Moments" vid!
    EBMM JP15 Blueberry Burst #119
    EBMM JP13-7
    Mesa/Boogie MKV Combo


    "Searching out, Reaching in..."

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    amazing bro!

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
    Incredible tone & playing; and I certainly didn't think that you implied anything "bad" about the standard JP. Some of my BFRs' don't sound any better than my non BFR's.
    Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    very nice tone and playing, thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK28 View Post
    Nice playing and your tone is killer! I also liked the "Vivid Moments" vid!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdamnitsdevin View Post
    amazing bro!
    Thanks again! Just in case someone was wondering, the tone used in the video is actually coming from Guitar Rig 5

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Can you post screen shots of your settings within the program. Please?

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ohdamnitsdevin View Post
    Can you post screen shots of your settings within the program. Please?
    Here is the requested screenshot. Please keep in mind, however, that the cabinet impulse (edge-1) I am using through "reflektor" is of crucial importance. You will need to download cabinet impulses separately and import the one you prefer. And please do not pay attention to all those mark 4/mark 5 titles. They have nothing to do with Mesa Marks... they are just random titles.

    Hope this helps!

    I almost forgot how good the standard JP model sounds (video inside)-lead01-jpg

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream View Post
    Here is the requested screenshot. Please keep in mind, however, that the cabinet impulse (edge-1) I am using through "reflektor" is of crucial importance. You will need to download cabinet impulses separately and import the one you prefer. And please do not pay attention to all those mark 4/mark 5 titles. They have nothing to do with Mesa Marks... they are just random titles.

    Hope this helps!

    I almost forgot how good the standard JP model sounds (video inside)-lead01-jpg
    Rammfire, sweeeet

    Amazing tone... and amazing playing!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums