VPJR Tuner Launch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majesty angled headstock?

User Info Menu

Majesty angled headstock?

Whats the deal with the angled headstock on the Majesty? How come other EBMM guitars dont have it?
    EBMM Luke III Olive Gold HSS rosewood neck
    EBMM JPXI - 8/21/13 (sold)
    Ibanez RG920qm premium
    Mesa Lonestar
    Peavey 6505+

User Info Menu

Gotta be it has to do with the fact that it is neck through maybe? I really dont know. It may help the strings sit better.

User Info Menu

I am told it has some positive effect on string tension. All I can tell you is that I have one and it's awesome and I wouldn't honestly change almost anything!
    In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds.

Amen

User Info Menu

No need for string tree

User Info Menu

What's a string tree?
    In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds.

Amen

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfingers83 View Post
    Whats the deal with the angled headstock on the Majesty? How come other EBMM guitars dont have it?
    Ultimately, JP wanted it. We'd have to ask him.
    Maybe Drew Montell can comment? He worked most closely with JP on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas LeCompte View Post
    Gotta be it has to do with the fact that it is neck through maybe?
    No. Ibanez are angled headstock and bolt-on. So are Jackson, Charvel, among many others and even Gibson made some too.

Quote Originally Posted by Svava View Post
    I am told it has some positive effect on string tension.
    Nothing to do with string tension (which is determined by the gauge, scale length, and pitch, only!) The majesty has the same scale length as the other JPs, so with the same strings and same tuning they will have identical tension. Having said that there other factors that change how we perceive the feel of the strings, i.e. fixed bridge feels a little stiffer than floating trem, especially when string bending, even though the initial and final string tensions are identical no matter what bridge you have.

Quote Originally Posted by pmercado View Post
    No need for string tree
    No. EBMM have been making straight headstock guitars without string trees since 1986. On the other hand, longer headstocks like Fenders need string trees to stop the E and B strings popping out of the nut or ringing like a sitar if the nut string slots are cut with too shallow a back angle.

Angled headstocks give a more consistent break angle across the strings from the nut to the tuners. Angled headstocks are more difficult to make, uses more wood during construction (= more waste = higher cost), and are far more fragile (which is possibly the primary reason Fender went with straight headstock wit the Tele and Strat). DON'T let your Majesty fall over, especially onto it's back.

In terms of tone, feel, sustain, I can't tell you if it makes any difference. I know people who swear it does and I know people who equally swear it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Svava View Post
    All I can tell you is that I have one and it's awesome and I wouldn't honestly change almost anything!
    That's all that counts really. Enjoy!
    Last edited by DrKev; 05-12-2014 at 04:00 AM.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Doesn't the Armada have the angled back headstock as well?

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    Doesn't the Armada have the angled back headstock as well?
    It sure does!

The Armada and Majesty (and that one-off black Albert Lee) are made with an angled headstock. They are also the only neck-thru guitars that MusicMan currently offers.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Angled headstocks give a more consistent break angle across the strings from the nut to the tuners.
    This is the main reason for the design implementation, and the fact no string tree is needed. As far as cost, material waste, sustain, etc...those all depend on how the rest of the instrument is made. Every feature of an instrument influences the others, both during the design stage and as a complete instrument. The angled headstock was a great fit for the Majesty for all of these reasons.

(Not to mention it makes the highs higher, the lows lower, and the mids midier! )
    "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein

User Info Menu

Well there we are. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Thank you, Drew!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drewbixcubed View Post

(Not to mention it makes the highs higher, the lows lower, and the mids midier! )
    Oh is that ALL it does? haha

User Info Menu

Hmm..interesting!
    EBMM Luke III Olive Gold HSS rosewood neck
    EBMM JPXI - 8/21/13 (sold)
    Ibanez RG920qm premium
    Mesa Lonestar
    Peavey 6505+

User Info Menu

string tree?? That Fender has a tree shrub if anything.

User Info Menu

Is the headstock sleeved on like on a Jackson soloist?