The Vault

Thread: setting up a trem on an axis mm90

User Info Menu

setting up a trem on an axis mm90

My band has recently gone over to tuning down 1/2 step which has now made the trem on my axis a bit stiffer due to the drop in string tension.My question is can I just slacken off the trem claw springs slightly or will that affect the tuning/set up on my guitar?Thanks in advance rhys.

User Info Menu

Yes you need to slacken the trem claw screws.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Ok cheers

User Info Menu

Yep, you can slacken the claw screws until the bridge just barely moves when you bend a string. That will give you the minimum spring tension that will keep the bridge against the guitar top. If the trem feels too soft for you, you can tighten as you like.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I bend as hard as I will ever bend while performing and listen/look for other strings detuning. I'll tighten the spring claws just until it's solid. YMMV.
    Greg C.

Axis & Morse Y2D DL

User Info Menu

Great i'l try that thanks.