Ernie Ball CRNR Keith Richards

Thread: MM90 pup height?

User Info Menu

MM90 pup height?

Can't seem to find any official word on this... Any info is appreciated...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Measuring from the bottom of the open string to the top of the pole piece...

4/32" (3.2 mm) Bridge pickup
    6/32" (4.75 mm) Neck pickup

The treble side can be a little closer to the strings than the bass side.

Of course he factory setting may not be to your ears preference so feel free to grab a small screwdriver and experiment. Factory settings are guides, not goals.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

fwiw- this is referring to an AL MM90.

The only other reference to this I found was this old thread-
    http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...n-al-mm90.html

As I suspected, the pup's are direct mounted and not intended to be adjustable (confirmed by AJ...thank you!)
    However, I went ahead and stuffed a bit of foam underneath them to test, and in my case raising them up a bit really opened the sound/tone up! (similar to the remarks in the old thread...)

I know that it's quite popular to 'hard mount' P90's, but it's also nice to experiment with the height on any given guitar.

Of course, YMMV...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Oh that's cool. I never knew they were hard mounted. I just looked up my spec sheet from EB which lists pickups heights for different models and assumed that it included MM90s (because none are specifically listed).
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

UPDATE:
    So after playing w/ pup heights for awhile, I was enjoying the increased output but was having a hard time getting a balanced sound from each pup and combinations.
    I ended up screwing all three back down to stock height and "ding-ding!", there it was... everything balanced out just right.
    Not that I doubted for a minute that EBMM knew what they were doing with the stock design, but this just confirmed it.
    And it's easy enough to make adjustments with amps, pedals and other externals.
    This guitar rawks...

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Hi There, just was wondering when you made some adjustments, did the bridge pup give out a little more bottom end growl so to speak. I am a newbie but just want to thank you for your post on the add bridge mod you did.Just looking to get a little more out of my Bridge Pup as it sounds a little thin on my Gold Rosewood Model that I just picked up. Hey bud <Many Thanks Again for the spec mod and helpful info. Jack...