Ready to Roar
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do wives hate guitars so much?

User Info Menu

Why do wives hate guitars so much?

You would think that since it makes us happy it would make them happy....... Right

User Info Menu

Ooh, it' a been a while since we've done the "forumites unwittingly reveal the demise of their marriages a few years in advance" thread.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

hmmm, that is a tough question, Eric.

In my situation, it's not that Wendy hates guitars, but sometimes I'll buy a guitar when it's not in our best financial interest to do so. I have a lot of balls, so I don't really need any more, yet I somehow keep buying more. I'm still hiding my Neptune Blue Luke from her. Well, it's on the wall in Tollywood, but she doesn't usually go in there.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Maybe it's the beautiful female form that most guitars emulate. I don't have that problem with my AL's though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coldsummer View Post
    Maybe it's the beautiful female form that most guitars emulate. I don't have that problem with my AL's though!
    I would not be so sure !!!!
    EBMM Axis SS
    EBMM Albert Black Sugar
    EBMM 25th Anni
    EBMM Albert SSS
    EBMM Reflex Black Sugar
    EBMM Axis SS piezzo, semi hollow
    EBMM double neck
    Fender Tele 1972
    Fender Strat Jeff Beck
    Flying V2
    ES 150
    ES 5
    ES 355
    ES345 BB King 80th b'day No 37
    Les Paul custom 3PUP Artisan 1976
    Les Paul custom Black Beauty 1977
    Firebird 7
    SG Custom
    Guild SG 300
    Yamaha 12 String Pacifica
    Yamaha silent
    Eggle JS Legend number 32

User Info Menu

I re-met my wife to be through my guitar playing so she can't 100% hate guitars (can she?)
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post

In my situation, it's not that Wendy hates guitars, but sometimes I'll buy a guitar when it's not in our best financial interest to do so. I have a lot of balls, so I don't really need any more, yet I somehow keep buying more. I'm still hiding my Neptune Blue Luke from her. Well, it's on the wall in Tollywood, but she doesn't usually go in there.
    I think she got pissed because i hid the peavey wolfgang from her, and like you said, not the best time financially.

User Info Menu

But its like an addiction! I love them, its like them with shoes and coach bags. Im gonna have to do the town with her for this one, maybe a suite at the marriot Boston and a whole weekend, although thats gonna be fun for me too, lol!

User Info Menu

Women hate guitars because we are usually dumb about it... buying them at the wrong time, hiding the purchase. If you have 100% honesty and transparency about it with your spouse, there are usually no issues as long as priorities are straight. I'm not going to buy a guitar if the bathroom needs to be done. However, if the house is upkept, debt is zero, and there is plenty in savings, I can buy 10 guitars a year if I want without so much as a dirty look. I generally keep it to one a year. Women love it when you involve them in the purchase. Give them some pictures of possible purchases and then get feedback on what they like best. That goes a long way. I bring my old lady to GC all the time and she is usually the one saying "this one is nice".

User Info Menu

I also have a once a year ratio of guitar buying. But the hiding is probably my downfall, but we are good now, she actually likes it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
    Women hate guitars because we are usually dumb about it... buying them at the wrong time, hiding the purchase. If you have 100% honesty and transparency about it with your spouse, there are usually no issues as long as priorities are straight. I'm not going to buy a guitar if the bathroom needs to be done. However, if the house is upkept, debt is zero, and there is plenty in savings, I can buy 10 guitars a year if I want without so much as a dirty look. I generally keep it to one a year. Women love it when you involve them in the purchase. Give them some pictures of possible purchases and then get feedback on what they like best. That goes a long way. I bring my old lady to GC all the time and she is usually the one saying "this one is nice".
    +1

But don't call your wife "old lady", it can spoil everything

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post

At least I'm not the only one. I have two BC Rich Mockingbirds I'm still hiding from mine for the past 2-3 years. LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    +1

But don't call your wife "old lady", it can spoil everything
    Ha... I never use that term in front of her. We do joke about the age thing because she is 4 years older and is just a little on the other side of 40...so I call her cougar. She loves that.

User Info Menu

It's been about 10 years since my Wife got upset about a guitar purchase. At that time I had only two other guitars and I paid $1100 for it but I told her it was $300. Oh boy, that caused quite an argument, lol. Financially we were not in the best place so any "extra" money was better spent in other ways according to her.

Now I'm upwards of 14 guitars and every new one gets a standard, "Another one???" from her and that's pretty much about it. As it turns out, my wife strategically places some guitars in other rooms as decor

EBMM Game Changer - HSH
    EBMM Armada - Black
    EBMM Majesty 7 - Arctic Dream
    EBMM Luke III - 2014 PDN Neptune Blue HH - Roasted
    EBMM Luke III - Olive Gold - HSS - Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Axis - Trans Gold Quilt -Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Albert Lee - True Gold - Roasted Maple Neck - Mahogany Body - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    EBMM Albert Lee - Classic White - RW Neck - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    SBMM JP50 - Stealth Black
    SBMM AX30 - White
    SBMM AX40 - Trans Blue
    SBMM Silo20 - Black
    SBMM Ray 34

User Info Menu

I think the original question is a gross generalization.

What'd you do, Eric? It's OK, come out of the doghouse and tell us...

My wife has never once had a problem with my buying guitars. Probably because she knows that I'll put our financial needs as a couple first and that I won't make purchases behind her back. I also let her know when a purchase is going to be made so that it won't be a surprise. Usually conversations go like this:

"Hey hon? I found that [guitar] I've been looking for at a really good deal. I think I'm gonna get it."
    "OK... we'll have enough money to make all our bills on time if you do that, right?"
    "Yep."
    "Then go ahead... whatcha getting?"

And everyone's happy. She checks with me before buying clothing items she likes or computer gear for her blog, I check with her on guitar purchases. It goes both ways.

She knows being a guitarist goes beyond a hobby for me - it's part of my identity and teaching students and playing in bands goes along with that. Plus, I was a guitarist long before she came into the picture. When I don't play guitar if I'm too busy or depressed she gets worried about me!

I know some other people are not so lucky, though.

So back to the original question, I don't think it's the guitars themselves. I think it's potentially financially irresponsible behavior that surrounds it. Yeah, you've got a new JP13 but the kids need new clothes and school supplies, the car needs an oil change and the tires are bald, and the house is trying to fall apart... you get what I mean.