Gifts for guitarists

Thread: AL MM90 - Full Blast!

User Info Menu

AL MM90 - Full Blast!

I finally got the soldering iron out for a couple of projects and installed a 'bridge pickup on' switch on my MM90 "Spanky"...
    In the down position the 5-way works like normal, but in the up position the bridge pup is on in all positions. This only makes a difference in the 4&5 (or 1&2, depending on how you count them...) spots with the 5-way.
    So now I can get the bridge and neck (very Tele like...which is what I was after...) and all three pups full blast!
    A super simple mod that really adds some fabulous sounds to an already fabulous guitar!

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

That is very cool....
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    EVH Purple Flame,Maple Neck,84096
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

User Info Menu

What a cool mod!!!
    I've been playing my True Gold AL MM90 over the last two days discovering some new patches in JamUp Pro. Man, those pickups can GROWL with a smooth clarity that only this kind of pickup can offer. I'd love to do a mod like yours to mine. You mentioned it was pretty easy?

EBMM Game Changer - HSH
    EBMM Armada - Black
    EBMM Majesty 7 - Arctic Dream
    EBMM Luke III - 2014 PDN Neptune Blue HH - Roasted
    EBMM Luke III - Olive Gold - HSS - Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Axis - Trans Gold Quilt -Roasted Maple Neck
    EBMM Albert Lee - True Gold - Roasted Maple Neck - Mahogany Body - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    EBMM Albert Lee - Classic White - RW Neck - MM90's - Piezo - Hardtail
    SBMM JP50 - Stealth Black
    SBMM AX30 - White
    SBMM AX40 - Trans Blue
    SBMM Silo20 - Black
    SBMM Ray 34

User Info Menu

Great stuff!! I was wondering if a similar mod could be achieved via a "pull up pot" ? Beej 'll know :-)
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

What a great mod. Looks like you did an excellent job, including the location. Well done!

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Great information. Can't wait for mine. That tele sound would be a useful mod/option. Thanks
    Local257, 1963

JP 15
    Peerless MT Maestro
    Majesty
    Parker Mojo
    Parker Delux
    Tele
    Ibanez GB10
    Gretch CG
    Ibanez BTB675
    MM RP112
    Quilter Amps

User Info Menu

Thanks all... and yes, a push-pull or push-push could do the same thing.
    I'll share more info soon...I'm late for work right now!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    Thanks all... and yes, a push-pull or push-push could do the same thing.
    I'll share more info soon...I'm late for work right now!
    great stuff -look forward to that.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

OK...finally got a second to give a basic explanation.
    As for the placement of the switch, I wanted to do this as simply as possible. It was just luck that the best choice spot under the p/g put the switch right where I wanted it. Had to make sure it would clear the body and that the p/g would lay flat with it installed... (see the red switch body before wiring it up...)

Drilled the p/g -very- carefully to not crack it!

As for the wiring, it's pretty butt-simple. Remove the bridge pup hot wire from the 5-way and solder it along with a short extension wire to a center lug on the switch. Solder the other end of the extension wire to the 5-way where the hot wire was removed to re-complete the original circuit.
    *Test the on/off switch first to find which sides are open/closed...
    Run another wire from the appropriate lug to the output lug of the 5-way.
    (please excuse the generic diagram...)

And there you have it! I searched around before doing this and was surprised that I didn't find any prior threads...
    I'm sure there are a few other ways to accomplish this mod, but this is how I went about it, and I'm super happy with the results!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I did the same thing to my first strat to get the same sounds. Very cool tones! On a later strat I used one of the tone controls as a blender pot rather than adding a switch. The Silhouette Special comes factory wired for neck/one bridge HB coil in the middle selector position. I've re-wired mine to go full HB and neck single, which is even squanky-er (squankier?).
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Nice! I was surprised by the 'all pups on - full blast' position on this. I expected a thick, woolly sound, but instead it combines the upper quack of the bridge+middle setting and the lower quack of the neck+middle setting into one 'super quack' tone that sounds unusual but yet very funky...in a good way...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Hi there, My name is Jack and also have a Gold Rosewood MM90 and was wondering the same thing. I see this is a very old post but was wondering what mods you may have done since. Thanks and any help would be great. Jack...