The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here tried the eventide h9 harmonizer?

User Info Menu

Has anyone here tried the eventide h9 harmonizer?

Im really intrigued, eventide has said it can do all the algorithms from all the factor pedals, and we all know they are the bomb! Eventide makes the best delays and reverb ambient stuff in the biz, but i really want it for the harmonizer detune effects to get that Vh 90s F.U.C.K and balance tone, plus a host of other things, like the 1984 tone, and all the options look cool, but has anyone tried it yet? $500 is a real plunge for someone like me, but it sounds so COOL! I was even looking at used H3000 rack units but they are around a grand, i really like eventide from what ive seen so far, but anyone else?
    Last edited by Eric O'Reilly; 10-29-2014 at 06:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Bump?

User Info Menu

Yes indeed - bought mine about 4 weeks ago. I am having a blast with it!! Replaced 3 pedals on my board plus gave me an incredible amount of additional versatility.

It helps if you have have an iOS device but everything is tweakable on the unit too.

I have saved algo lists on my iPad and can move onto the H9 whatever I need for a specific setlist need. The really cool thing is the unit has 99 presets, but the iOS can save an infinite number of user presets. If you only need say 8 for a gig, the H9 can be set to ignore the other 92 (for example) so you don't have to cycle thru all 99....

Highly recommend it
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Thats cool, i have the iphone 6 plus so the app would work good on that, but i have a question, can you use two effects at once? Say a harmonizer detune effect, along with a delay? or a reverb? Because i want it for a van halen sounding harmonizer, but want to use it with a delay or reverb, can you make a preset like that? 2 or 3 effects at once?

User Info Menu

No, only one effect at a time. However, that said, many of the harmonizer algo's include delay's or verbs. One of the verbs called ModEchoVerb (I think) is essentially as the name applies.

You can download the iOS app for free and "look" at all the algorithms and presets available.
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Thank you very much, the mod echo verb patch, can you pick which mod, echo, and verb? But i really want this harmonizer, i try to use cheap chorus to sound like a harmony detune effect but its lame, i love eventide. Ive never used a hamonizer before, so its gonna be fun! I cant wait!

User Info Menu

No, but every perimeter is tweakable.

Eventide has a series of like 30 short videos on setting up/adjusting the h9 and the control app. Most are only a minute or two long - you should watch them. You can also search on the Timefactor, Modfactor, Space and Pitchfactor and listen to some of the algorithms - all are available for purchase with the h9 ($20 each) and most come with a handful of presets of which can all be modified and saved as user presets.

I am not a big fan of multi-effect processors or working with presets, But, this one is special, because the quality is very good, and it really isn't a muti-effect processor, and it has an almost limitless amount of possibilities
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I have one as well. I haven't had much time to sit down with it, but the time I have, I really like it. I'm a LONG time Eventide user, so I really "get" how their stuff works. I had an H3000 for decades, so the deep editing is natural to me. I still have a bunch of analog effects on my pedalboard, but the H9 is the go-to pedal for everything else that I might not want in a single pedal form.

I liked their Factor pedals, but never ended up keeping any of them because they were IMHO too much of one thing. I emailed them years ago that they need to make a pedal in which the user can choose the algorithms. I'm sure my email along with hundreds of others led to what is now the H9.

Incidentally, it sounds better than the factor line to my ears. If you get a chance to play with one, keep in mind that for some weird reason, Eventide presets are almost always over-the-top unusable sounds with the mix super wet. It can do subtle effects amazingly well.

Eventide does reverb extremely well. The RingModulator, phaser and chorus is top notch. I still have a Phase 90 for phaser though.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

radrock - I used my free coupon for the phaser. I also have a RetroSonic Phaser (which is based on the Phase 90). I have gotten some good phaser sounds on the H9, but haven't yet matched the RetroSonic. Have you had any success coming close to a vintage analog phaser?

Yeah, I agree, the presets are over the top in most cases, but are certainly simple to dial back.

I just bought the Band Delay - love that sound!
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I really really want one! I think the next piece of kit i buy will be one, i was gonna buy a used peavey 5150, but i could get a good high gain pedal like a surh riot to make my marshall sound like one, and use the h9, i really cant stop watching the demos, it sounds like hours of fun, and could really change the way i write, i have no ambient or reverb effects or mod effects, ive been very old school, but really want to expand and experiment with sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric O'Reilly View Post
    I really really want one! I think the next piece of kit i buy will be one, i was gonna buy a used peavey 5150, but i could get a good high gain pedal like a surh riot to make my marshall sound like one, and use the h9, i really cant stop watching the demos, it sounds like hours of fun, and could really change the way i write, i have no ambient or reverb effects or mod effects, ive been very old school, but really want to expand and experiment with sounds.
    Hi Eric,

I have a Suhr Riot and I run it through my Roccaforte, which is very similar to a Marshall. I am very happy with the pedal. You and I have basically the same tone, so I think you would be happy.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

How are you guys using your H9? In your effects loop, out in front? My concern is that the H9 is really a stereo pedal and without a two amp setup (or wet/dry/wet) I'm worried about sacrificing the tone when running it in mono.
    EVH Blue - 82854 - Born on 10/9/92
    Axis Tribute Trans Gold - G61323 - Born on 8/10/11

Axis 2014 BFR PDN Neptune Blue - G57761 - Born on 7/30/14

User Info Menu

I'm running a H9 and loving it. Really pleased with the sonic quality of it and the sheer amount of tweaking to be had. No doubt that you can go as deep into the editing as you dare and still not fully explore the limits of the device. I run mine into the front of the amp as it is used for filter & modulation. However, I plan to get a second one to replace my Flashback X4 & Hall of Fame pedals and run in the effects loop of my amp and deal with time based effects.
    BFR Luke 2 Emerald Green Flame Top (which sucks)

PDN Neptune Blue Luke 3 H/H

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr.b View Post
    I'm running a H9 and loving it. Really pleased with the sonic quality of it and the sheer amount of tweaking to be had. No doubt that you can go as deep into the editing as you dare and still not fully explore the limits of the device. I run mine into the front of the amp as it is used for filter & modulation. However, I plan to get a second one to replace my Flashback X4 & Hall of Fame pedals and run in the effects loop of my amp and deal with time based effects.
    What I'm really looking at it using for pitch shifting, delay, chorus, verb, etc... so loop for me
    EVH Blue - 82854 - Born on 10/9/92
    Axis Tribute Trans Gold - G61323 - Born on 8/10/11

Axis 2014 BFR PDN Neptune Blue - G57761 - Born on 7/30/14

User Info Menu

Loop for me as well. Absolutely no sacrifice running mono the H9 shines either way
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook