New Slinkys March 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strap locks?

User Info Menu

strap locks?

What is the recommendation for strap locks? Is there something that works well without changing ball buttons?
    dannyMUSIC...mashing guitars since 1972

User Info Menu

No matter which strap locks you use you'll have to change the buttons (which are an integral part of the locking mechanism).

I love the Ernie Ball strap locks. I used the guitar's original screws, they work perfectly with the new buttons and locks so no need to drill. One screw driver, 5 minutes, done!

I used Schaller's before and they work fine but they were clanky (as in noise) and if you don;t regularly check the fastening nut it will loosen and pop off in which case your guitar ends up on the floor. That can't happen with the EB locks.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

What works very well without changing the original buttons is a seal from a beer bottle. I belive you can also buy them from Fender or others but usually I'd say two bottles of beer have a better value. The look is not what everybody likes but even Bonamassa, Morse (on guitars with standard EBMM straps, not the one with the DiMarzio cliplocks) and many others use this

edit: WASHERS was the english term I needed instead of seal :-)

Last edited by banjoplayer; 12-28-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    No matter which strap locks you use you'll have to change the buttons
    For true locking straps, yes, but I recently began using the Planet Waves locking strap. It's not quite as secure as the clip locks, but it is still 1000% more secure than a standard strap and doesn't involve changing hardware. It's a ratcheting system and works pretty well. I was worried about the polymer end pieces rubbing and marring my finish at first, but it is softer and sort of rubberized on the instrument side. No issues after 6 months here.

BTW I AM a fan of the DiMarzio clip lock straps. I have one on every guitar I own... except for my koa. I wanted a more luxury feel with a leather strap for this one so I ordered the luxury leather DiMarzio. Unfortunately, it wouldn't adjust small enough to fit me. The range of adjustment on the leather model is slightly different than the nylon models, and it was about 2-3 inches too long for me at minimum length (I'm only 5'4"). The quality and feel of the planet waves leather is just as good as the DiMarzio version in my opinion.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

I also like Planet Waves locking straps, no need to replace anything and they work really well during gigs -- just need to learn how to lock and unlock the strap and then it takes seconds to do it, even in pitch dark environments.

User Info Menu

strap locks?-grolsch_premium_lager_bottle_unopened-jpg

red washer is all you need!
    ALHH - PDN Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 - DDII

BONGO 4HS - Sky Blue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mroth90 View Post
    strap locks?-grolsch_premium_lager_bottle_unopened-jpg

red washer is all you need!
    this is a great idea.
    dannyMUSIC...mashing guitars since 1972

User Info Menu

Try something from Lock It Straps, there is not a better strap out there with a 'built-in' locking feature
    2014 Morse Standard-Blueburst
    2005 Luke - Carbon Blue Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squege View Post
    Try something from Lock It Straps, there is not a better strap out there with a 'built-in' locking feature
    I'll second that, Lock-It straps are great! No mods needed to your guitar, easy on and off, and they look great.
    2012 EBMM Luke - Tangerine Pearl
    2013 EBMM Steve Morse Y2D - PDN Emerald Green Sparkle
    2013 Sterling S.U.B. Series Silo3 - ​Metallic Red

User Info Menu

Just got the Ernie Ball strap locks I ordered and have put them on my majesty without problem using the original screws. Very pleased

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squege View Post
    Genius. Definitely going to check that out.

(Hoping one day to get rid of the lifetime supply of Schaller strap locks I've collected over the years.)

User Info Menu

I recently went through an evaluation of the various strap locks and locking straps on the market. After much research, I came to the conclusion that the Schallers that I have been using for years are probably the best ones for me.

After 20+ years of using them, I have only ever had them come apart on the strap end once. You do need to change the buttons on the guitar once in a while though - they do wear out.
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

I use Ernie Ball Strap Locks, they work well!

On a side note, DiMarzio recently released John Petrucci ClipLock straps. They come in either red or blue stitching and in Petrucci's custom length or standard length.

strap locks?-dd2200jpbl_0-jpg

strap locks?-dd2200jprd_0-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tim O'Sullivan View Post
    I recently went through an evaluation of the various strap locks and locking straps on the market. After much research, I came to the conclusion that the Schallers that I have been using for years are probably the best ones for me.

After 20+ years of using them, I have only ever had them come apart on the strap end once. You do need to change the buttons on the guitar once in a while though - they do wear out.
    Do the Schallers have the same diameter screw as the stock buttons on an Axis, or would the hole need to be enlarged? Thinking about picking some up, but don't want to make any permanent modifications.

User Info Menu

Nobody's mentioned them yet, but I'm a big fan of Dunlop "Dual Design" Strap Locks.

They're better than your average strap button if you just use a regular strap. But if you use the locking mechanism on the strap then they're great.

I have about a dozen straps with the locking mechanism on them - bought strap buttons in bulk and they're on almost all my guitars - now I can easily swap whatever strap I'd like on any guitar and be secure!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!