New Prodigy

Thread: NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2014-3

User Info Menu

NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2014-3

Hi all! Welcome to Day 3 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days thingy. Be sure to check out NYNGD #2014-1 and NYNGD #2014-2!

The setup once again for anyone new to this: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! Standard caveat: In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. My answer is here!

Today's NGD is perhaps not as "exotic" as some of the others, but it's a monster nonetheless: a 7-string JP13!

While this guitar isn't "collectible" or "rare", it is a HUGE milestone for me as a player. Ever since Steve Vai introduced the 7-String Universe in 1990, I have wanted to try 7-String. But I always backed out thinking "I am nowhere near mastering 6-string, so I'm going to get a 7-string instead?" And thinking, "That will just confuse me and it'll be a mess."

Earlier in the year I decided to take the plunge with a JP13 and, worst case, I could sell it on and probably come close to breaking even. I have to say, I was blown away pretty quickly -- not only did it NOT confuse me and mess me up, but I actually have taken pretty naturally to it. I have been doing some fun stuff lately where I dropped the low-B down to A (drop A tuning?). So I am pretty excited about this guitar. No, I will not get rid of all of my 6-strings and go exclusively 7-string, but it's a cool new sonic tool for me and that's a pretty killer thing after playing for 30-odd years.

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

Thanks for looking everyone!

User Info Menu

Very nice

User Info Menu

That's funny, Jeff...I have the same feelings that you had, thus I have never had a seven string. Nice JP!

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary