2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: interested in Musicman guitars but not sure...

User Info Menu

interested in Musicman guitars but not sure...

I know this has probably been asked 100 times but I'm interested in Musicman guitars but I'm finding the necks
    nice but hard coming from a Fender American Lonestar Strat. I like that I can grab chords a progressions much easier but I find the necks shallow from top to bottom (looking down on top of the neck, E string to High E) I hope that makes sense. I've tried the Luke and JP models but I favor the Luke setup. What are the Silhouette models like compared to the Luke and JP? I need to find a used Silhouette local.

thanks for the help....

User Info Menu

The Silhouette has the same neck width as the Luke, but the profile is a C profile as opposed to the V neck on the Luke.
    MusicMan Axis Pacific Blue Burst, DOB: 3/17/08, Bought: 8/18/13

User Info Menu

Silhouette and Silhouette Special each also have a 10" radius (similar to the Lonestar Strat, which was 9.5" or 10", right?) and the Luke is 12" radius. Silhouette Special is 22 fret (HSS or SSS), Silhouette is 24 fret (HSH only).
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Fwiw, if you're an experienced guitarist, I'd never buy any guitar unless I felt comfortable about the neck. And I love the neck on my MM 25th Anniversary guitar. Cheers, Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joegrant413 View Post
    I'd never buy any guitar unless I felt comfortable about the neck.
    +1

I bought a couple of Silhouette Specials because of how they felt. I found the playing position is a little more forward on the EBMM than the Strat, less of a reach to the first fret.

Weight and balance are similar to the Strats, with the Luke III generally weighing more than the Silhouettes (as per EBMM specs).

I used to own a couple of 57 Reissue Strats, but sold them to buy the Silhouette Specials. For me, the comfort and ergonomics of the EBMMs were notably better.
    Bursts or Bust

User Info Menu

I switch between Strats and EBMM's all the time (check my sig line). The more you do it, the less it matters.

My EBMM's are the best guitars in my stable though. If you're interested in adding a guitar, there's probably a Ball that will really make you happy.
    Guitarist, Keyboardist, owner of the Academy of Noise and the Red Door Studio.
    Kansastribute.com

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6,, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    3 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Stingray Bass.

User Info Menu

thanks guys. I have tried both the Luke and the JP model. At first I loved the JP and then when I tried it for the second time I wasn't sure. I remember loving the sound of the Luke but I could not recall the neck. I tried it out recently at a store locally and liked it for many things but it really felt different from the Lonestar's and my G&L. I still need to find out the neck on my G&L because I like that the best so far. It's not a standard C and it is not a slim C. Sadly I bought two of those thinking it was the same as what I already had (trade one for the other). Now I am stuck trying to sell off that slim C model. My guess is that it is a G&L Heritage Vintage "C" but I really need to find out. If I could find out that neck and then compare to an EBMM, that would be great. I could also have a used one shipped to a local store to try out and compare.

User Info Menu

Where are you located? Try to find a local GC and try one out. I sold all of my G&L's when I discovered EBMM. My first was the 25th anniversary. The neck shape & feel will knock your socks off. I have absolutely no problem transitioning between my 25th, Axis, and Silhouette Special.
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

User Info Menu

You cant go wrong with a luke iii mine is amazing and plays like a dream.

EG
    2011 Gibson Les Paul studio Deluxe 60's
    EBMM Luke III
    Martin DRS2
    60's Supro Trojan
    Orange Tiny terror

User Info Menu

thanks, I emailed the guy at GC and asked him to get one to the store

User Info Menu

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

You might want to try an Albert Lee. They are like Strats from a 50's perspective of the "future".
    Their bodies are extremely comfortable and their necks are chunky; like your favorite baseball bat sliced in half. I love that guitar.
    Last edited by Tollie; 04-09-2015 at 06:24 PM.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    Hello. Welcome to the forum.

You might want to try an Albert Lee. They are like Strats from a 50's perspective of the "future".
    Their bodies are extremely comfortable and their necks are chunky; like your favorite baseball bat sliced in half. I love that guitar.
    I do not like Chunky and that is why I do not like the current Strats. My 1996 Lonestar has a modern C neck and is not your standard C. Just like my J&L is not the standard neck of a G&L. I had to learn that the hard way. My brother in law had the G&L and asked if I wanted to buy it. I took it for about an month and fell in love with the neck. I played it at practice the other night and as always it is so much more comfortable on my hands especially with soloing (which I am still new to). The speck on the G&L I think is below but I am not 100% sure of this yet. I will find out soon. Still haven't heard back from the GC guy about getting in the Silhouette. thanks

2b
    G&L Heritage Vintage "C"
    C
    1 5/8"
    7 1/2"
    0.790"
    0.910"

User Info Menu

Silhouette Specials all the way bro - very ergonomic and sound fantastic for about anything.

Silhouette Special Pearl Blue rosewood, hardtail
    Silhouette Special Candy Apple Red, rosewood hardtail
    Silhouette Special in Carbon Blue Pearl maple neck tremolo
    Sub 1 Graphite tremolo Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Pearl Blue hardtail, now with BGPups Pure 90's
    Sub 1 Cinnamon hardtail Routed SS style
    Handwired '65 Princeton Reverb Head with Hoffman turret board
    2 x 12 cab (Celestion and Weber)
    Best radio station in local area
    https://www.kafmradio.org/Web-Player]

User Info Menu

thanks advice, still waiting on the damn GC guy....

User Info Menu

Love my Silhouette Special. The neck is one of the best I've ever played.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)