Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: Help me choose my next guitar?

User Info Menu

Help me choose my next guitar?

Alright, so I've made some recent purchases and haven't been happy with them for my personal needs. Both have been great guitars! I've had a standard jp6 and a majesty 6. Here's what I've narrowed down to, and there are pros and cons:

JPX7 - I used to own a jox and it was easily the best guitar I've see had. I should never have sold it, but finances got in the way. My only hesitation there is that there's plenty of "newer" JP representations out there now and I don't know if I'd be missing out on anything?

Koa 7 - what Beautiful guitars!!! I took my honeymoon in Hawaii and promised that I would get one someday. However, theres a few cons. It only has the three way switch and not the 5 way. Also, it's about 1000 more than I have currently.

So, is the Koa worth saving for? Should I go with what I know? Those of you with Koa 7's, do you find there to be something unique about the tone that isn't to be passed up?

Thanks for the help!!
    http://www.myspace.com/tuffenuff

MD JP7 born October 5th, 2007. S#=F19559 SOLD in April, 2011

Barolo JPX-6 Born 4-26-2010 S#=G46776 - Separate than the guitar that is currently for sale.

Egyptian Smoke Bongo 5HH born Septemer 25th, 2008. S#=22342 sold to cellkirk74 on December 14, 2009.

User Info Menu

What about the JP15? Played one at NAMM and it's a MONSTER!! Roasted neck, mahogany body and the roasted top... Such a great package... Will make you forget about Koa.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

hmm...checking out the JP15, and considering....

Anyone else care to give an opinion?

Barolo JPX-6 Born 4-26-2010 S#=G46776 - Separate than the guitar that is currently for sale.

Egyptian Smoke Bongo 5HH born Septemer 25th, 2008. S#=22342 sold to cellkirk74 on December 14, 2009.

User Info Menu

I would definitely prefer the JP15 because of the unfinished roasted neck!
    MusicMan Axis Pacific Blue Burst, DOB: 3/17/08, Bought: 8/18/13

User Info Menu

if you had a JP6 and a Majesty and "and haven't been happy with them for my personal needs"- looking for a "JP" again I think it will not put you far from the JP tone and feel
    after all between all JPs there's not a night and day difference, there a subtle difference
    I would have THE MAJESTY ...but you had it ))

User Info Menu

Paulo - I LOVE the JP - with the majesty it was the thin body and with the standard jp im pretty sure it was the basswood combined with the looks.

I'm one of those people that will probably only be able to buy one guitar - and I'll probably not have tons of money to have two, so I've gotta be extra happy

User Info Menu

JPX is great... is your only obsession with it the 5 way?

If not, I think the JP12 is the best version of the later JPs prior to the majesty. If you want a finished neck and ebony board, look no further...

That said, the roasted neck is f***ing sublime on my PDN BFR, so the JP15 should definitely be in the discussion.

Koa doesn't work for me since I don't like gold hardware... just my preference. I don't like gold watches or wedding bands either... But I like gold in my portfolio.
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

2019 Cutlass SSS Vintage Sunburst

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

User Info Menu

Can you give some "must have" features? Are you chasing a tone, perhaps?
    Bursts or Bust