EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Pickup recommendation for 2007 JP6

User Info Menu

Pickup recommendation for 2007 JP6

I'd like to change the pickups on my 2007 JP6 which currently has the D-Sonic/Air Norton set. I don't care for either of them much (especially for the D-Sonic which just sounds like sh*t IMO).

So, I used to have an Ibanez with the CrunchLab/Liquifire set. I really liked them (especially the CR) and would consider buying them again. But I would also like some other options that you guys think would sound good on the JP6. I play mostly lead/shred/high-gain stuff.

User Info Menu

You should try some Bareknuckle Pickups. I especially love their Nailbomb Set. But they are more expensive than Dimarzios. However they are worth every Penny
    Music Man JP7 PDN 2012 Honey Roasted #F20403
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2013 Emerald Green Sparkle #G68213
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2014 Neptune Blue Roasted #G71474
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2016 Starry Night #G77086
    Music Man Bongo 5HH PDN 2015 Vintage Tobacco Burst #F44860

User Info Menu

Interesting, I had similar thoughts about the original pickups in my 2008 JP6. The sounded amazing with just very few amps, but mostly I didn't like them.

What exactly don't you like about the original pickups? Voicing, dynamic range, output, clarity?

After a lot of testing I switched to the illuminator in the bridge and later also in the neck position. It was the right choice, the guitar sounds a lot more balanced and much tighter, as well as being more dynamic and sitting better in a mix.
    Highly recommended and also a good investment, in other words you get a lot for what you paid.

As far as bareknuckle pickups go, I would rather invest in a top of the line cabinet for that price... A better investment in my opinion. Just my thoughts!

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with my Bare Knuckle "Rebel Yell" Steve Stevens signature pickups.

jbert
    Vintage Burst Silhouette Special (SSS)
    Genz-Benz Black Pearl 1X12 Combo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    You should try some Bareknuckle Pickups. I especially love their Nailbomb Set. But they are more expensive than Dimarzios. However they are worth every Penny
    Yeah I've been checking those out. They sound pretty awesome but as you said a little pricey...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigvard90 View Post
    Interesting, I had similar thoughts about the original pickups in my 2008 JP6. The sounded amazing with just very few amps, but mostly I didn't like them.

What exactly don't you like about the original pickups? Voicing, dynamic range, output, clarity?

After a lot of testing I switched to the illuminator in the bridge and later also in the neck position. It was the right choice, the guitar sounds a lot more balanced and much tighter, as well as being more dynamic and sitting better in a mix.
    Highly recommended and also a good investment, in other words you get a lot for what you paid.

As far as bareknuckle pickups go, I would rather invest in a top of the line cabinet for that price... A better investment in my opinion. Just my thoughts!
    What I really don't like about the D-Sonic is it's clarity. It seems to be "muddy" and not as tight as I would like it to be. The Air Norton isn't bad at all but I already have it installed in another Ibanez I have and i want to experiment with something different. The Illuminators are definitely an option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tsef View Post
    What I really don't like about the D-Sonic is it's clarity. It seems to be "muddy" and not as tight as I would like it to be. The Air Norton isn't bad at all but I already have it installed in another Ibanez I have and i want to experiment with something different. The Illuminators are definitely an option.
    If clarity is your main concern then the Illuminators could definitely be the alternative you're looking for! In my opinion, that's the MAIN difference from the D-Sonic, besides tightness.

User Info Menu

If clarity is your main concern then the Illuminators could definitely be the alternative you're looking for! In my opinion, that's the MAIN difference from the D-Sonic, besides tightness.
    I've been listening to Illuminators sound clips and they sound awesome. I'm about to pull the trigger on them.
    Just 1 question, should they be F-Spaced or regular spacing. I've seen contradicting information regarding spacing. Some say both neck & bridge should be F-Spaced and other say that the bridge is F-Spaced and the neck regular.
    So which is true?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tsef View Post
    I've been listening to Illuminators sound clips and they sound awesome. I'm about to pull the trigger on them.
    Just 1 question, should they be F-Spaced or regular spacing. I've seen contradicting information regarding spacing. Some say both neck & bridge should be F-Spaced and other say that the bridge is F-Spaced and the neck regular.
    So which is true?
    I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Bridge F-spaced
    Neck Regular

As told to me by MM customer service

User Info Menu

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Bridge F-spaced
    Neck Regular

As told to me by MM customer service
    Cool

User Info Menu

Another idea is the Dimarzio Transition bridge and neck as they have a great sound and are real versatile. Outside of Dimarzio, you can try the Aldrich set by Suhr.

User Info Menu

I always wanted to know what a Tone Zone and an Air Norton would sound like in a JP. Any thoughts on those? I couldn't give you any recommendations as I've only used what comes stock in all of JP flavors.

User Info Menu

I like the JP Illuminator Pickups in my JP 13, you may like those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Strangenote View Post
    I always wanted to know what a Tone Zone and an Air Norton would sound like in a JP. Any thoughts on those? I couldn't give you any recommendations as I've only used what comes stock in all of JP flavors.
    John used a Tone Zone and a Humbucker from Hell in the Ibanez guitar he used on Images and Words.
    MusicMan Axis Pacific Blue Burst, DOB: 3/17/08, Bought: 8/18/13