2020 StingRay Special colors

Thread: Petrucci Family Reserve played awful

User Info Menu

Petrucci Family Reserve played awful

I played one of these at guitar center and it felt awful, the action was high and uneven (much worse on the higher frets), i didn't love that the neck was finished on the back, and the fretboard did not feel very good. Is this just a very poorly setup version? I was actually going to look at a JP15 but they didn't have one....i'd love to order the Blueberry Burst but not if it played like that. (for reference i have an Axis w/maple fretboard, and a silhouette special with a rosewood fretboard).

Petrucci Family Reserve played awful-download-jpg

User Info Menu

100% sure its setup up very badly mate.
    those guitars play like silk.
    Endorsed by Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars USA.
    Featured on the music man Artist page: http://www.music-man.com/artists/dean-wells.html
    Custom Reflex (emerald green sparkle burst/ebony roasted neck)
    25th Anniversary Ernie Ball quilt.
    Reflex/GameChanger Maple neck HSH
    BFR LUKE Emerald Burst Flame top
    LUKE pearl blue
    REFLEX- Maple Neck White/Black

Want list Steve Morse Y2D Blue
    Armada Black burst.

my band TERAMAZE
    www.teramaze.com.au
    My production page
    www.dwellsmusic.com

User Info Menu

High quality guitars need a high quality set-up. Though it shouldn't take a tech long to sort that guitar out.
    High volume guitar shops, sometimes don't bother to check these things.
    JPs are superb and I'm sure, won't disappoint.

User Info Menu

Yeah, unfortunately that can happen at GC from time to time. They should have a tech on hand that could quickly set it up for you if you wanted to test it again. As for the JP15... I played one at NAMM and as an Axis/Al/Silo Spec owner I was blown away by the JP15. If it weren't for the BFR L3 being the perfect guitar for me the JP15 would be my #1 choice for the my next purchase.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

music stores take crap care of their stock. Perhaps EBMM has a rep that can call up your guitar center and be like, "Hey... you keepin' our guitars nice and playable per our contract?" or something...
    2015 Sahara Burst JP15 7 Flame
    2014 Diego Blue Albert Lee HH
    2014 Sterling Silver SBMM *Signed* JP-60D
    2013 Plat. Silver JP13 7
    ******ON PRE-ORDER************
    2016 JP16 7, St. Vincent, Valentine, SBMM JP157 & Majesty

User Info Menu

The guitar would have arrived in GC set up ready to go.
    The shops climatic conditions would sometimes necesitate a truss rod tweak to get it back again surely?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Yes. and some shop techs don't know what they are doing, or customers did their own set up but decided not to buy and the guitar was left that way. In some stores even a weekly wiping off the dust is too much to ask, alas.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I've played many guitars that were set up terribly at the stores. I will say that Banjo Center seems to be the worst. The guitars are going to adjust to new climates and need a tweak here and there. Those JP guitars will play as good as any guitar on the planet, just might need a quick set up.

User Info Menu

When i bought my sterling 5 HH it was in need of a good set up, i do all my own setups anyway so within 20 minutes it was percect. Guitar stores are just lazy, i see so many high end instruments covered in dust and with ridiculous action. One store had a guy drilling the wall for some lights and the dust was going all over the instruments below (all new fenders). I think its just laziness and lack of knowledge.
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

User Info Menu

if i walked into a guitar store and a guitar i was looking at had those issues i would tell them i was thinking about buying this guitar but the setup is bad can you give it a correct setup so i can see if like the guitar when it is setup right. and if they choose not too, then they don't get the sale and go some place else to buy the same guitar, also EBMM guitars are one of the nicest playing guitars out there..

User Info Menu

In all fairness I cant throw guitar center under the bus...but as previously mentioned the climate in individual stores coupled with 500 guitars on the wall sometimes things get neglected. I can assure you that the guitar arrived there in good order.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    In all fairness I cant throw guitar center under the bus...but as previously mentioned the climate in individual stores coupled with 500 guitars on the wall sometimes things get neglected. I can assure you that the guitar arrived there in good order.
    As you say, with so many instruments in some stores it's impossible to take care of all of them but common sense says that anything over a 1000/$1000 should be inspected and set up properly. It must put a lot of people off buying certain guitars, and all for the sake of 15 minutes adjustment.
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

User Info Menu

Yes but 15 mins x 500 guitars = 125 hours of work. And the reality is that cheaper brands may need more time to setup than brands like Music Man or Gibson that are usually great right off the back of the truck.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Setting up guitars and keeping them clean is an enourmous job in anny musicstore. And this is one of the first things that music stores cut down on. Hiring personel is pricey and a person to set up and clean will propably not make the sales go up enough to pay his sallary.
    Keeping my collection clean, set up, restrung,.... is a pretty time consuming thing, and that are only 10 guitars. Multiply that by 100 and you got a fulltime job.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw