Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: Don't want to be Debbie Downer....but??

User Info Menu

Don't want to be Debbie Downer....but??

I'm happy to see that there's a lot of buzz over at Music Man with some new models and endorsers. We've seen a couple now. As a Hard Rock and Heavy Metal guy though, I was disappointed. Now I know there will be a few other models and maybe another endorser so I shouldn't jump the gun but I hope the next few go in the Metal direction. If my memory serves me correct in the 90's Eddie Van Halen (Hard Rock/Metal guy) EVH/Axis was the most popular Music Man model until John Petrucci (Heavy Metal guy) came along and now he has had the most popular guitar lines. What's my point? I have seen over the last 5 years the growth of multi string (7,8,9) and mutlti scale (fanned fret) guitars growing in popularity. I have played these guitars and have been blown away by the playability and potential. I would love to see a high quality company, like my favorite (Music Man!!) explore this area. Metal is popular all over the world and it's weapon of choice is still the guitar!!
    PS: You lured John Petrucci away from Ibanez, do the same thing with Tosin Abasi!!! He was meant to play an 8 and 9 string Music Man!!!

User Info Menu

tastes and colors... To me, they should better focus on that 6 strings Joe Walsh thing!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

There's been rumors and grumblings of JP playing an 8... So I think it's only a matter of time before we see the JP8
    2015 Sahara Burst JP15 7 Flame
    2014 Diego Blue Albert Lee HH
    2014 Sterling Silver SBMM *Signed* JP-60D
    2013 Plat. Silver JP13 7
    ******ON PRE-ORDER************
    2016 JP16 7, St. Vincent, Valentine, SBMM JP157 & Majesty

User Info Menu

Considering that the popularity of 7 strings seems to be rising again, I wonder if a Silo7 wouldn't be a viable model. I've got an Ibanez 7 and noticed that I hardly ever use the trem, so a hardtail HSH Silo7 would be very interesting to me.
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
    Considering that the popularity of 7 strings seems to be rising again, I wonder if a Silo7 wouldn't be a viable model. I've got an Ibanez 7 and noticed that I hardly ever use the trem, so a hardtail HSH Silo7 would be very interesting to me.
    As Silo player, I'd be all over this.

User Info Menu

I applaud EBMM's new models, in that they are not just another strat style clone, with however many strings.
    JP and EVH are amazing guitarists but I don't think EBMM should just try and appeal to to the super technique players.
    There are plenty of folks, with reasonable skills, playing all sorts of styles, with the cash for a EBMM guitar.
    Many of them, may not even know JP. But they may look an Armada, St. Vincent or even a Majesty and think Wow, that's a lot cooler than a .Fender or Gibson.

User Info Menu

you work with who wants to work with you
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    you work with who wants to work with you
    They should know better bp! metallica, lamb of god, machine head, bring me the horizon, parkway drive, and about a million other bands out there should really join the ebmm family. It certainly would make the line up more diverse...and it's always good to bring in bands that appeal to a younger croud aswell. I really don't want to diss other brands, there are alot of good guitars out there but (to me) none compare to musicman.
    I'm not a huge fan of fanned frets and 6+ string guitars so not really sad that ebmm is a bit behind on this trend.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Big Poppa, I hear you and I'm going to do my small part to correspond with all these great players and plant some seeds!! I think it's a big help to have John Petrucci in your corner!! These younger guys all admire and respect him!! I do think though that extra strings (7,8,9) and multi scale guitars (fanned fret) are a big part of the future of Metal !!!!

User Info Menu

Look at Dean Wells! He's one the most talented "metal" guitarist I've seen in a long time... He is endorsed and uses Ernie Ball Music Man guitars... I hope to see him get a signature!! I'll be first in line to get one ;-)
    Last edited by joshua_helm; 09-18-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    "Play every other note"

Music Man JP15 Quilted Trans Black
    Music Man JP15 Blueberry Burst
    Music Man JP16 Black Lava

User Info Menu

If the metal scene could be satisfied with one instrument (or a handful) for more than one week before ditching it in the secondary market (picked up by any number of Music Man enthusiasts wanting a custom piece) and moving to the newest brand (this week) I'm sure Sterling and Music Man would be happy to accommodate them. Unfortunately, the trend with this genre seems to be to move to whatever the newest thing being pushed this week is and I can't imagine that makes keeping them happy very easy. Personally, I wish more monsters like Jason Richardson and Jakub Zytecki would stay with the brand that treats them well and builds a guitar that accommodates their skill level and imagination.
    If the new models are any indication I'd say Music Man is seeking to invest their brand with a more stable and predictable demographic.
    Feels good being a Premier Dealer. I can own more Balls this way.
    glorydaysrockshop.com
    facebook.com/glorydaysrockshop
    http://stores.ebay.com/Glory-Days-Rock-Shop

JPX 7 Black Sugar w/Roasted Neck
    Luke BFR Neptune Blue
    Axis Tribute Pink

User Info Menu

I'll be the first to admit that it's easy to get caught up in the 'flavor of the week' guitar brand cycle. With social media, it's near impossible to not get exposed to something new and shiny almost every day. I'm sure social media plays a HUGE role in the musical instrument industry. Hell, if it weren't for forums and Facebook, I'd never have REALLY been sold on EBMM or Carvin/Kiesel, now my two favorite brands.

Damn that GAS though... I should be perfectly satisfied with my stable of JPs and Kiesel ERGs, but I know I'll probably own a ton more in my lifetime... ESPECIALLY if EBM comes out with a JP8.
    2015 Sahara Burst JP15 7 Flame
    2014 Diego Blue Albert Lee HH
    2014 Sterling Silver SBMM *Signed* JP-60D
    2013 Plat. Silver JP13 7
    ******ON PRE-ORDER************
    2016 JP16 7, St. Vincent, Valentine, SBMM JP157 & Majesty