Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuddald

User Info Menu

Nuddald

New Used Dargie Delight Albert Lee Day….whew!
    I’ve only been a part of the EBMM family for about 4 years now. I never thought I would be lucky enough to own one of the mystical Dargie Delight guitars, but the guitar gods have seen fit to bestow upon me a great gift…. Well, I sure paid for it, but you get the idea….
    I’ve become very fond of my GC special trem AL mm90 “Spanky” that I’ve had for awhile. So much so that was waiting for the right PDN finish to come along so I could order another special one to join the pack. I really wanted one with a roasted maple neck and different body wood. Then the new discontinued list came out showing that the mm90’s were to be no more, and I was sad. Not in a position to order a custom one at this time, I began the search for existing ones, new or used. I was surprised to find a few used ones out there, and as I was showing them to Mrs. Bebop, she spotted this used Dargie and said it’s the one to get. It was more than I wanted to spend right now, but she knows guitars, and how often would this opportunity present itself? So now it’s got a loving home with us and its brethren. From what I can gather, it’s passed through a few different owners before I got it.
    It took a lot of searching and reading for me to try to piece together the whole story about how these (DD) came to be. Very interesting and very entertaining story, I must say!
    One of the first threads I found with pictures of finished Dargies was this one by Pete Debaldo:

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...ie-window.html

And who’s front & center on the first pic???? Our new AL! According to the listings posted by Dargin and other info I’ve found, it’s the one and only DD AL made with ‘standard’ hard tail and piezo. There are a few more pictures of it further in this thread. We received the guitar along with the original shipping box, one of the custom “DD” leather straps Pete had made up for the pre-orders, an EBMM Zippo lighter (!), and a couple of pics of Albert Lee himself autographing the pick guard.
    It’s not a roasted maple neck, but it’s a fabulously figured maple none the less, with rosewood fret board and swamp ash body, in like-new condition. Plays and sounds as good or better than you would expect. My original GC special mm90 (Spanky) has a mahogany body & rosewood neck (and trem…), so there is a small but noticeable difference in voicings. I plan to play the Dargie a bit and didn’t want to wear off the autograph, so I ordered and installed an aftermarket pick guard, putting the signed one away for safe keeping.

Enough typing….on with the pics!

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

...new pick guard...

---As soon as it came home, Mrs. Bebop got to exercise her mixology skills and created a “Dargie-tini” in honor of this special instrument. As you can see in the pics, it's right on the money, and tastes fabulous!

Last edited by xjbebop; 09-25-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

...yummy extras....

===Our current herd of AL’s…

****...I really want to thank the previous owners of this special guitar for taking such good care of it and for keeping the whole ‘package’ together! Have a great weekend!!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Awesome!!! Great pics!
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

2019 Cutlass SSS Vintage Sunburst

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

User Info Menu

Wooooooaaaaw! Lucky you! I'd kill for that zippo allone!
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

All 3 Alberts are spectacular.

Congrats.

User Info Menu

Spectacular indeed, and a very rare Dargie AL to be hardtail and piezo. Beautiful!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

That's the coolest pickguard I've ever seen.

User Info Menu

Man oh man - I'm gobsmacked - WHAT a fantastic score!!!

OK, one question: is the dargie-tini made with proper gin, or does it besmirch the name "martini" with vodka?

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

User Info Menu

WOW!!!! That's gorgeous!! And the drinks are icing on the cake!! Well done.
    Turquoise Pearl JP6 w/ roasted maple neck.
    Blueberry Burst JP15 w/ roasted maple neck.
    Mesa Boogie Mark V

Volume changes everything!

User Info Menu

congrats that is a beauty...

User Info Menu

Wow, that is a great AL! Congrats!
    EBMM - AL MM90 White
    EBMM - AL HH Black Sugar Roasted Maple
    EBMM - Armada Black flamed
    EBMM - JP7 White
    EBMM - Cutlass Vintage Turquoise
    EBMM - Stingray Starry Night

Mesa Boogie RA-100
    Yamaha THR5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments! Had it a few weeks now and still can't believe it! I do love the mm90 pups, and mixing the piezo in with the magnetics gives all kinds of shades of voicings. Tons of fun!
    The maple neck feels 95% as good as the roasted maple necks I have, so I'm very happy with that as well. A bit smoother & silkier than the rosewood necks, and a brighter, snappier tone.
    I'll post the recipe for the Dargie-tini later after Mrs. Bebop gets home...

....and I -LOVE- the sparkly green finish!!!!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Great guitar ! Congrats mine is the same minus piezo and I love it
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

That is awesome! Saw a used Luke DD last year...love that color!
    Luke III HSS Vintage Burst DOB 08/23/12
    Luke III HSS BFR Quilt Hazel Burst DOB 08/13/15
    Others: PRS, Knaggs, Hamer, Fender, Ibanez, Taylor
    Amps: Mesa, Blackstar, Fender