Not electric until you plug it in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majesty Noise

User Info Menu

Majesty Noise

Hello all, this is my first post so please be nice. Well, I have an awesome Majesty, but I've been noticing some extra unwanted noise since the day I got it in June. I should have returned it, but I had already waited about 3 months because the previous Majesty I had came with cracks, so I've just been sucking it up, but after discussing with another fellow Majesty owner, he mentions the noise isn't there for him.

The noise is some extra feedback when I suddenly stop a chord on the low E. I thought it was the springs, but I upgraded them to noiseless Springs and the noise is still there. I think it's an issue with the nut being perhaps cut too wide, but idk. The other Majesty owner I've discussed this with says it might be a piezo imbalance, but I'm not too sure. The noise can be fixed by putting a fretwrap on the nut, but I'm peculiar and I don't want to add anything because I feel for the price and quality, the noise should not be there.

Has anyone else had this issue with a Majesty? I can't seem to find anything about it online. I have contacted Sweetwater and I did shoot AJ an email, so I will see what they can do. If you all have any help, that'd be great thanks!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum.

You are in great hands with both AJ and Sweetwater. I had an issue once and they both took excellent care of me. Good luck!

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

With high gain only or with clean too? The Illuminator pickups are high output: with massive amounts of gain and/or compression, some noises/squeaks/squeals, such as amplified noises from fingers on strings, are bound to occur. If so, it may be a technique issue. Could that be what you are experiencing?

Something to consider. Do speak with AJ and Sweetwater -- online peer "support" is just a guess and not a substitute for the top notch awesome customer support you will receive from EBMM and Sweetwater.

Best wishes!
    Last edited by agt; 10-25-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

User Info Menu

I would have assumed it was the springs but you said you upgraded to the noiseless ones. Frustrating thing to deal with. Good luck to you.

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the welcome guys and the responses. Yes, I'm aware of the hotness of the Illuminators. I have them in my JP15 as well, but I don't get this issue on the JP15. Could it be the woods of the majesty and the Illuminators? I thought maybe it could be a technique issue, but I tried several guitars and didn't experience the noise as loud as on the majesty. A good example is playing the riff of Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth, the verse riff, and every time I stop on the E, I get the noise. I play in a cover band and the feedback was unbearable when I used the majesty that I never used it again. Yes, I'm looking forward to Sweetwater and AJ, but who should I go through first. I should expect to hear back from SW tomorrow, and I've never dealt with AJ so not sure when I'd hear back. Anyway, thanks again guys!

User Info Menu

Not too much gain, but I hear the noise when I'm playing unplugged as well.

User Info Menu

There have been people in the past that have had weird noises coming their guitar when playing, a weird ringing when muting chords under high gain. Sounds like what you are describing. I'm trying to recall old threads here, some say the springs, some said the pickup mounting spring vibrating, it could also be a sympathetic resonance vibration behind the nut (which can happen even with a perfectly cut nut but is obvious even unplugged once you play hard enough), it could be a natural string harmonic excited by the position of your hand as you mute.

Use google to search the forum for old threads. Try to think of every possible way of describing the noise to help with your search terms and add site:ernieball.com to the end of your search terms to limits google's results to these forums. But these kind of noises are not specific to particular guitars but more to high gain payers with agggressive music styles, so try other forums too. Petrucci forums, gearpage, etc.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by falldb87 View Post
    The noise can be fixed by putting a fretwrap on the nut, but I'm peculiar and I don't want to add anything because I feel for the price and quality, the noise should not be there.
    It sounds like you are describing some string vibration between the nut and the tuners. It occurs on all of my guitars without floyd type locks at the nut. I put a hair tie over the headstock just to dampen the strings there and its gone. Try it... and its really not a bid deal... to me

User Info Menu

Hello Falldb87,

Could you fix the problem? And in case you did, could you be so kind and share the way you did it?

I am experiencing the same problem as you.

Tanks a lot in advance :-)

User Info Menu

There are different solutions for silencing springs but this is what I did on my BFR Koa and it worked perfectly: https://youtu.be/FX2INeaiKD4

Quote Originally Posted by stringnoise View Post
    Hello Falldb87,

Could you fix the problem? And in case you did, could you be so kind and share the way you did it?

I am experiencing the same problem as you.

Tanks a lot in advance :-)
    Majesty 6 Polar Noir - 2016
    Petrucci BFR Koa - 2012
    25th Anniversary Flamed/Trem - 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mankindzoo View Post
    There are different solutions for silencing springs but this is what I did on my BFR Koa and it worked perfectly: https://youtu.be/FX2INeaiKD4
    Hi Mankindzoo,

Thanks for the VT link, I gonna try it this way tomorrow!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by stringnoise; 06-05-2016 at 08:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I did that to all my guitars , after a while I removed that sponge from all of them, they seemed to cause less vibration and a "dead" sound overall compared...less sustain I think...

not again, thanks, I can accept that "spring ringing " )

Quote Originally Posted by stringnoise View Post
    Hi Mankindzoo,

Thanks for the VT link, I gonna try it this way tomorrow!

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaoloGilberto View Post
    I did that to all my guitars , after a while I removed that sponge from all of them, they seemed to cause less vibration and a "dead" sound overall compared...less sustain I think...

not again, thanks, I can accept that "spring ringing " )
    I did not notice any tone or sustain alteration. Did it happen over time for you?
    Majesty 6 Polar Noir - 2016
    Petrucci BFR Koa - 2012
    25th Anniversary Flamed/Trem - 2009

User Info Menu

'When I stop a chord"... If you are muting the chord you could actually be causing the low E to contact a fret giving you a brief harmonic. The Majesty can be set up with very low action, and with such a short distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret it is very easy to do. If a fret wrap makes it go away, that is what makes me think muting technique is causing an unintended harmonic.
    web: Killerburst Guitars
    email: jon@killerburstguitars.com
    Facebook: Like Us
    Authorized Music Man Dealer

User Info Menu

Yes sounds like an action issue. Imperfections in fret levels are magnified at ultra low action heights. Also check the neck relief, it may need more relief.
    Majesty 6
    Parker Maxxfly 7
    Parker Nitefly
    Ibanez UV777