December 2019 BFR

Thread: Those who have swapped pickups on their JP6, what did you choose?

User Info Menu

Those who have swapped pickups on their JP6, what did you choose?

...and how did you feel about the results?

I have a JP100D MKOA and a JP6. I've never been thrilled with the CL/LF combo. For whatever reason they just don't do it for me. I feel they're too compressed, and strangely, harmonics don't spring off the guitar like I expected them to. I can totally see them as JP himself uses them though - VERY aggressive and tight sounding for progressive styles, and honestly I like his tone; though it's not a tone I would use myself.

Anyhow -

As an experiment I put some Axis pickups in my 100D and it just completely transformed the guitar. They absolutely killed in comparison. I then tried Dimarzio a VHPAF and VPAF pair, and am almost as happy as with the Axis pair. I tend to like lower-output pickups for their growliness, and because when I'm in low-gain settings I can more effectively control my tone/timbre.

So, those who have swapped them, what did you try, and did you like the results?

User Info Menu

I felt the same way about the CL/LF when I compared it to my older JP6 with the D-Sonic and Air Norton, while I also found them too compressed and lacking some bite and clarity. I found what I was looking for in the Illuminators, which I put into the JP about a year ago.

I am liking the results very much, and surprisingly the pickups don't just sound better to me they are also more versatile in use with other music styles or amps that i usually do not play. The CL/LF or DS/AN combos did not do this as well in my view.

User Info Menu

Too each their own because man do I love the CL/LF combo.

User Info Menu

Yeah I know - they're hugely popular for a reason :-)

I'm really asking those who have tried alternatives what their experiences are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrickGlass View Post
    Too each their own because man do I love the CL/LF combo.
    so i do!
    changed the original "steve special" style PUP from my 2005 JP to a d-sonic to come more close to the mid-range sound of the CL...but the D-Sonic is way more compressed as the CL is!

so if i can get my hands on a used set of CL/LF i would be happy....the other option is getting the new Illuminators....but they are very expensive!

good to read, that Sigvard90 put them in and is very happy with the result...maybe i should get a pair of them for x-mas

never tried any other PUPs in my JPs, sorry.
    91 EVH Trans Black Quilt Top
    ?? Axis EX Trans Red Quilt Top
    05 JP6 Mystic Dream
    09 JP6 Dargie Delight II
    10 JP6 Pearl Redburst Limited
    07 JP6 BFR Ruby Red Burst
    05 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    06 SM-Y2D Tobacco Burst
    10 SM-Y2D BFR Black Sugar
    12 SM-Y2D PDN Honey Roasted
    14 SM-Y2D Rosewood Neck Solar Flare
    OLP MM-5 Silhouette Bassguitar
    OLP MM-1
    SBMM JP70 Stealth Black
    SBMM JP70D Pearl White ltd.

check out: www.reverbnation.com/morbidsky

User Info Menu

FWIW, I have a CL/LF set in one, and the illuminators in another, and............. They're both staying as is. Love em both.
    Turquoise Pearl JP6 w/ roasted maple neck.
    Blueberry Burst JP15 w/ roasted maple neck.
    Mesa Boogie Mark V

Volume changes everything!

User Info Menu

i love the CL/LF pups i wanna get a set someday and put them in my JP60.....
    Sterling JP60 Mystic Green
    Ernie Ball Music Man Axis

User Info Menu

Jeez I really thought I'd have more people chiming in with something useful to say, rather than how much they love them.

Clearly they don't work for me, and though they may work for you, no amount of fandom is going to change that. :-\

User Info Menu

I've been very happy with my Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell pickups in my 2004 JP6. I was looking for somewhat brighters pickup and they are just that.
    Vintage Burst Silhouette Special (SSS)
    Genz-Benz Black Pearl 1X12 Combo

User Info Menu

Bare Knuckle are awesome, then there are different configurations for different tastes.

I don't like the CL/LF either, I wanna try the Illuminators but they are expensive for me living outside the US and with a undervalued currency compared to dollar. By the way I think all new JP's (6, X, XI, etc...) should come with the Illuminators and the pre-amp feature, it's awesome but I don't like the JP13 and JP15 is out of my possibilities now. A JP12 with these new features and pups should be a hell of a guitar.

I have a superstrat with a Dimarzio Paf Joe in the neck position and a Steve's Special in the bridge and I like this set very much. The PAF Joe sounds good either in the neck or bridge. I like Paf style pickups, I'm thinking about switching the pups in my JPX.

I heard that the old custom set based on the steve's special and air norton is awesome, I'm currently looking for a old JP6 that comes with those. It would be interesting for someone who have had both JP6 with the old set and with the CL/LF to compare if they are in the same neighborhood or if it's a different thing.

User Info Menu

Owned one of the original MMJP guitars with the custom set for many years. They were absolutely amazing pickups. Get your hands on a pair of those and you should consider yourself extremely lucky. They were arguably better than anything JP has used since.

User Info Menu

I have one of the original pickup sets for sale but to answer the topic, I can't stand the CL/LF. They're a one trick pony to my ears. When I had the XI7 I threw some BKP Juggernuats in there and what a massive difference (pun intended?). So much more clarity and dynamics. I'm about to take the set out of my XI6 and the Seymour Duncan Alpha Omega are about to go in. I'm obviously a Periphery fan but the music I play is mainly contemporary worship lol. The pickups I go for need to be versatile and dynamic. Now the Illuminators are another story. In the Majesty and JP15 they sound fantastic but that active preamp I'm sure adds something to the tone. Correct me if I'm wrong of course lol.
    Majesty 6 Kinetic Blue
    Majesty 7 Majestic Purple
    PRS Custom 24-08
    Axe Fx III, invective 120
    EBMM JPXI 7 (Stolen http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...y-area-fl.html)

User Info Menu

According to Larry Dimarzio the preamp doesn't add anything to the eq, it's just a gain boost.

I recently installed them to my RG655 (basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard), it's a great upgrade.
    Had the LF/CL combo in another guitar and I much prefer the Illuminators. The neck is not so different but the bridge... much better IMHO.

Going to put some Illuminators in my JP6 too.

User Info Menu

What about the "whole lotta Humbucker" from Duncan. Could be a good fit for the JP...
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if you ended up switching up the pickups on your jp6 or not (permanently) but I was curious if and what you chose to go with.

I'm liking the neck pickup but hating the CL, I'm definitely more of a SD guy so I'm swapping it for the perpetual burn (Jason Becker sig). Kinda high on the moderate output scale, slight scoop profile.. enough treble where I can actually use my tone pot.. lol, idk.. I won't know til I play it, but I'm very optimistic about the PB&J.