Ready to Roar
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MusicMan StingRay II & I guitars (Pre-EB)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrockLee View Post
    The comprehensive pre-1979 list is currently being assembled

Post your full serials and I will post some info on them.

I have often thought about making some alternate preamps for these guitars. That unit is primarily responsible for the overall tone shaping of these guitars.

Mine are:
    a walnut late 1978 stingray serial B010528
    a inca silver 1977 stingray serial B004843
    thanks for posting infos..

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

my recently acquired MM StingRay II got S.N. G003746

User Info Menu

I’m fairly new to this forum, though I’ve read a lot of interesting comments, long story short I bought my guitar SR1 new in 1982 from a music store that had it for 6 years serial number G002553 still all original still playing it. Would anyone know how many SR1’s were produced?
    Last edited by jwags; 02-25-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Incorrect serial number

User Info Menu

Hi BrockLee
    I have a Musicman Stingray 1 Guitar that i recently purchased in New Zealand. I suspect that the colour of the guitar (Black) is not the original finish as it is too thick in places ( neck pocket) . I have stripped the black finish off the guitar as it had started to flake in places and there were a number of layers under the black finish.. Wood then clear finish, dark brown (consistant with a sunburst?).. then silver, then another varnish, and finally black.. The Serial number of the guitar is G004214... I would love to find some information on this guitar..
    Many Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bernie.a View Post
    Hi BrockLee
    I have a Musicman Stingray 1 Guitar that i recently purchased in New Zealand. I suspect that the colour of the guitar (Black) is not the original finish as it is too thick in places ( neck pocket) . I have stripped the black finish off the guitar as it had started to flake in places and there were a number of layers under the black finish.. Wood then clear finish, dark brown (consistant with a sunburst?).. then silver, then another varnish, and finally black.. The Serial number of the guitar is G004214... I would love to find some information on this guitar..
    Many Thanks
    So Bernie, welcome, most of the guitars are from the time frame that Ernie Ball purchased Music Man. There use to be a site out there, the name eludes me at this time, they could help you with some information, but chances are your not going to the info your looking for. I checked the Serial Number data and yours isn't listed.

Serial Number Database | Ernie Ball Music Man

Do a web search for Music Man Stingray dating or something like that.

Good luck, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Thanks Glen. I found an interesting site (Musicmanbass.global) that has a database of pre Ernie Ball bass serial numbers and interestingly there is a listing for a bass with a similar serial number (B004214) from 1977 that says it is a natural colour.. I wonder if this means the guitar would have been natural as well..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bernie.a View Post
    Thanks Glen. I found an interesting site (Musicmanbass.global) that has a database of pre Ernie Ball bass serial numbers and interestingly there is a listing for a bass with a similar serial number (B004214) from 1977 that says it is a natural colour.. I wonder if this means the guitar would have been natural as well..
    Could be!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"