Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2015-2

User Info Menu

Exclamation NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2015-2

Welcome to Day 2 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Hi all! Thanks for the kind words and comments on yesterday's NYNGD #2015-1!

If you're not familiar or didn't stop by yesterday: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! Standard caveat: In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. My answer is here!

Today's NGD is an Axis Sport with a beautiful translucent purple finish. This guitar is gorgeous with a lot of nice grain and figuring in the body. And she plays amazingly. (And you know how I am with trans purple guitars!) I'm not sure which model DiMarzio pickup is in the bridge position, but it sounds great! I have already tracked guitar parts with this guitar. Enjoy!

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Past Days:
    #2015-1 | #2015-2 | #2015-3 | #2015-4 | #2015-5 | #2015-6 | #2015-7 | #2015-8 | #2015-9 | #2015-10 | #2015-11 | #2015-12 | #2015-13 | #2015-14 |
    #2015-1 | #2015-2 | #2015-3 | #2015-4 | #2015-5 | #2015-6 | #2015-7 | #2015-8 | #2015-9 | #2015-10 | #2015-11 | #2015-15 | #2015-16 | #2015-17
    #2014-1 | #2014-2 | #2014-3 | #2014-4 | #2014-5 | #2014-6 | #2014-7 | #2014-8 | #2014-9 | #2014-10
    #2013-1 | #2013-2 | #2013-3 | #2013-4 | #2013-5 | #2013-6
    #2012-1 | #2012-2 | #2012-3 | #2012-4 | #2012-5 | #2012-6 | #2012-7

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited by dibart77; 12-31-2015 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Yummy!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Nice - but just leave the Morses to me, ok?

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

User Info Menu

Best Axis Sport I've ever seen!

Got its Super Sport sister in transparent purple as well! Awesome color.

User Info Menu

Yes, the Axis Sport is a great sounding guitar.
    My Sport is cool, but this one is cooler.
    That purple + rosewood is just so sexy.
    Black Cherry Burst Axis DOB: Sept 4, 2009
    Trans Orange Axis Sport DOB: July 2, 1997
    Neptune Blue Y2D DOB: Sept 22, 2014
    Playing through Marshalls and EVH amps/cabs

User Info Menu

What a fantastic guitar. Great score, Jeff!

Those tuners are Sperzels? Did EBMM ever put them on production instruments or are they an mod?
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Nice! Looks like a purple theme this year?
    EBMM - AL MM90 White
    EBMM - AL HH Black Sugar Roasted Maple
    EBMM - Armada Black flamed
    EBMM - JP7 White
    EBMM - Cutlass Vintage Turquoise
    EBMM - Stingray Starry Night

Mesa Boogie RA-100
    Yamaha THR5

User Info Menu

One tough year for Jeff (say 2012) equals my entire stable!

Will never understand zebra pickups though. Always seem to me to break the flow
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

User Info Menu

NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2015-2

Really enjoying this and thanks for doing it.

I read the back story you linked on the collection. I've got a couple questions out of sheer curiosity if you don't mind...

Does the "class of" indicate the years the guitars were bought or the year that you did this NYGD feature on them?

What does a typical GAS cycle look like?

Do you acquire them all from a dealer who you have built a relationship with, or are they from various places?

Have you bought them all brand new, or are some used?

Out of your collection, what 1 or 2 of them would be your " desert island" guitars?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 Majesty - Polar Noir
    2000 Axis - Trans Gold

User Info Menu

Allright Jeff!!! A fantastic addition to the collection. I can speak for that since I have one of these trans purple Sports, it took me a while to find it too, a grand addition to my purple EBMM collection (of course you have purple in additional to every other color out there). Mine's the same... HH, that's what I wanted. You are spot on, the color saturation on these trans purple Sports is wonderful, EBMM did a great job. Congratulations on your NYNGD!
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Another beauty !!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Nice!
    2017 BFR Luke III Tumescent
    2016 Suhr Natural Modern Satin Pro

User Info Menu

Thanks again for your kind words and questions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by kestrou View Post
    Nice - but just leave the Morses to me, ok?
    Hey Kevin -- I had a SM-Y2D in Purple Sunset with Floyd and I sold it... Really didn't do it for me. So you're safe. No Morses for me!

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Those tuners are Sperzels? Did EBMM ever put them on production instruments or are they an mod?
    Yes, they are Sperzels. Not really sure if EBMM ever used them but AFAIK they didn't. A previous owner must have installed them.

Quote Originally Posted by bhull View Post
    Really enjoying this and thanks for doing it.

I read the back story you linked on the collection. I've got a couple questions out of sheer curiosity if you don't mind...

Does the "class of" indicate the years the guitars were bought or the year that you did this NYGD feature on them?
    Each year, I cover the guitars I bought that year. So "Class of" means both -- the year I bought it and the year I featured it. There's no "Class of" before 2012 because that was the first year I did the NYNGD.

What does a typical GAS cycle look like?
    I generally have a steady flow of GAS all year. Some years I get a guitar once every couple of months, some years once a month. Depends on a lot of things. Like how many killer one-offs Derek brings to the Philly Guitar Show. And then I do have lulls where I curse myself for being an ass and I don't buy for a while.

Do you acquire them all from a dealer who you have built a relationship with, or are they from various places? Have you bought them all brand new, or are some used?
    I just checked and 43% of my guitars were purchased new, and 57% were purchased used. Most of the used purchases are buying models you can't get anymore (like Silhouettes with floating Floyds) or colors you can't get anymore (which will probably ramp up for me since 101 colors were discontinued). I was an EBMM artist in the late 1990s and early 2000s, so I purchased some via EBMM back then and I still keep in touch with EBMM and I buy the custom one-offs they make for guitar shows (usually purchased via Guitar Center). And some new ones via eBay. All of the used ones are via eBay, Knuckleheads from the Forum, and this year a couple from Reverb.

Last edited by dibart77; 12-17-2015 at 10:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice Jeff! I love this one! Not long ago I got an amber sport w/ lovely grain with a NGD that is well overdue. I'll try to post a NYNGD after your marathon, however it would only take me a quick 2 days for mine since I have two.

User Info Menu

Very nice Axis, Jeff. 2015 looks like it was a very busy year. I can't wait for you to fill in the rest of the blanks...keep 'em coming.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary